Before the internet

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The veteran members will remember these. I got them from a generous former owner.

323A58BE-9053-4613-83B3-A63F6DFE27D8.jpeg
AF328546-4F41-45B6-88DB-AB799DF92295.jpeg
79A2F19E-CB72-423A-B88C-FD546187C380.jpeg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have piles of Registers in the attic some place... Charlie was an awesome guy!

Crazy to think that if you had a question, you had to send a letter to Charlie, wait for the next edition to be published and then the next one to read someone's answer. Two months at least... These days I've had answers in two minutes!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have all of the original CS Register documents including every member application (It was surreal to find mine from 1985), print proofs, every edition, etc. I scanned them all some time ago:

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/update-old-cs-registry-newsletters.8850/#post-55863
Hi Steve,
I am eager to see and read through this history. although I was not dialed in to the E9s at the time, I was a BMW guy. So this will be a cool overlap. How can we access the scans? I followed the link above and it took me to another thread with a link to a google drive, but received a message that the file doesn't exist. THANKS for doing this!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Way back (1970’s and 1980’s) there there was this thing called Usenet. It was a set of subject -specific sequential list of messages submitted by users who had access to the global network hosted on thousands of commercial/govt and private computers all connected by Ethernet. Very much like an antiquated version of yahoo groups (yahoo groups is the replacement). Unfortunately E9 owners didn’t have a Usenet group back then but there were hundreds for all sorts of things ranging from politics to technology to religion etc.

The disadvantage is you needed access to a computer which could host the list, which in those days meant a mainframe or minicomputer. Hence the groups were pretty much limited to geeks.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was trying to remember why I didn’t join the Register so checked my files when I got home tonight and found this sealed envelope with a letter to Charlie asking for an application. I thought I had sent and never followed up when I never heard back!

846EC65B-DC19-4BBD-B51B-DAF475E494FC.jpeg
937A3D01-5BAC-4F3A-8846-28DBC786A203.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was trying to remember why I didn’t join the Register so checked my files when I got home tonight and found this sealed envelope with a letter to Charlie asking for an application. I thought I had sent and never followed up when I never heard back!

The only thing I want more than your car is your handwriting. :D Clearly you are an architect and not a doctor (the two most common e9 professions).

Very cool that you found this!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only thing I want more than your car is your handwriting. :D Clearly you are an architect and not a doctor (the two most common e9 professions).

Very cool that you found this!

I used to print like that but now I'm too impatient! :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Found my listing from 1994. While living in the Bay Area, I parted out a rust free 74 that had been rear ended. I paid $2400 for it. It was a Napa car so the interior was fried but it ran and drove. I listed it in the CS register and sold a lot of parts from that listing. Including the rolling rust free tub to Carl at LaJolla independent. He told me it was a worthy base to build from so it could be on the road somewhere. Alas, I didn’t save the VIN. Nor do I have any pictures!

Thanks Steve for the trip down memory lane.

Before the Internet indeed.

John M
BF196495-7AAE-4D72-A0F0-1617BB4908B4.jpeg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited: