Battery choice

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an aside but mildly related:

New BMW's, battery change is a PIA beyond doing the battery reset! I got a BMW white battery from the dealer for my 335xi and even with that, the change blew the foot well module which is common. For those of you with newer BMW's, the footwell module recall has been extended so check the time you have and change your battery if you need to and within the window of this recall. It's an expensive fix otherwise.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just some addl info. The local independent bmw shop sold me an Interstate battery for the coupe a few years ago. It ended up failing (likely due to some improper charging practices...). But Interstate replaced the battery after two years in full. Very much appreciated that. I don't know if that was all Interstate, or if the shop had some pull. But happy to be "charged up" again. The only drawback is the green top under the hood. I have the MT-47/H5 with 650 CCA.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This Bosch works, Group 47
00E90E4F-58AC-48B9-83CC-C98772AEB8BE.jpeg

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Been running an Optima red top for about a decade. Honestly, though, the best investment was a battery charger. The Die Hard unit from Sears has saved me many, many times. Plus, remembering to disconnect the battery helps quite a bit.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most car batteries sold in the US are made by Johnson Controls. So keeping this in mind let me go on from there. In AZ, our average battery usually lasts 18-24 months anything over that and we are lucky so buying batteries that have a 3 year full replacement warranty is a must. Best bang for the buck are Walmart batteries. I forget if it is a 4 or 5 year warranty with 3 year full replacement and then if it goes bad it is prorated over the 48 or 60 months . If the replacement goes bad then that is prorated over the full extent of the warranty as they obviously wont do a full replacement on that.The original price to begin with is right. I never did a bunch of research as that is not my nature but many of the people I spoke with insisted that Johnson made the majority of the batteries on the market under various brand names. The Walmart battery in my dd just died at 30 months and I got a full replacement so I will let that speak for itself. Cosmetically it doesn't say Walmart on it.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Most car batteries sold in the US are made by Johnson Controls. So keeping this in mind let me go on from there. In AZ, our average battery usually lasts 18-24 months anything over that and we are lucky so buying batteries that have a 3 year full replacement warranty is a must. Best bang for the buck are Walmart batteries. I forget if it is a 4 or 5 year warranty with 3 year full replacement and then if it goes bad it is prorated over the 48 or 60 months . If the replacement goes bad then that is prorated over the full extent of the warranty as they obviously wont do a full replacement on that.The original price to begin with is right. I never did a bunch of research as that is not my nature but many of the people I spoke with insisted that Johnson made the majority of the batteries on the market under various brand names. The Walmart battery in my dd just died at 30 months and I got a full replacement so I will let that speak for itself. Cosmetically it doesn't say Walmart on it.

That’s within the national average. Johnson Controls sold its battery business to Brookfield & others, and that company is now called Clarios. They still make about 50% of the batteries sold in US. Exide & East Penn make most of the rest. There’s another company that makes its own batteries and probably some for others, but can’t remember the name. I don’t think Interstate actually makes their batteries but is a marketing/distribution company. It’s an odd business. While there are generic, identical batteries sold under different brands, the manufacturers also make batteries to the specs requested by sellers. I used to try not to buy Exide, because they stiffed me on legal fees in one of their bankruptcies. But who knows who is making your battery unless you do some digging.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Been running an Optima red top for about a decade. Honestly, though, the best investment was a battery charger. The Die Hard unit from Sears has saved me many, many times. Plus, remembering to disconnect the battery helps quite a bit.

I used to own motorcycles and got into the habit of connecting a trickle charger. Saves a ton of grief & $$.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score

Yes it is. Sometimes, during the summer, we hit 112 but probably average 102-105 so it gets pretty hot in the engine bay. A few times over the years I have seen 122. Of course many people here will say it's "dry" heat so it's bearable. I am not one of them.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Eek. I think I'd take a dry heat over a humid, miserable heat. But the 50 degree crisp fall day we had today was perfect, in my opinion.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes it is. Sometimes, during the summer, we hit 112 but probably average 102-105 so it gets pretty hot in the engine bay. A few times over the years I have seen 122. Of course many people here will say it's "dry" heat so it's bearable. I am not one of them.

My Jeep XJ ran really hot. They all do. I ate through batteries on an 18 month schedule in AZ.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Jeep XJ ran really hot. They all do. I ate through batteries on an 18 month schedule in AZ.
I think we replaced the battery twice in 17 years in our XJ (3 batteries over the course of 17 years of ownership). However, during the last 6 years we only used it for about 5 or 6 months a year.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pep Boys is selling down Bosch & won’t sell them going forward. The battery guy showed me what he had left in the back & explained in great detail his terrible experience w them the last 18 mos - 2 years — both in failures & warranty support. He keeps them in the back as he doesn’t want to sell them unless someone really wants one b/c he’ll have to replace it & he won’t be able to.