Battery choice

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel a new battery is in my future. '72 3.0CSA. Tried search, did not find much. What have you found that fits, and are happy with. Thought I could source a Bosch or Varta here in Canada, but not looking good. Don't mind ordering from within US to my nearby Canada/US border shipping/receiving service, so I am curious what others may have selected. Opinions? Thanks for your suggestions. Mike

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
e.jpg
optima in the trunk

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow Alan, you have really customized that trunk. I have wondered about relocating the battery there. Thanks for the photo. Chris, that is a great link. I appreciate this a lot. Gives me some options. Thanks! Mike

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_1897.JPG
You guys have it made up there... Bmw oem available and cheap....

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_1898.JPG
Part number for you... you can thank Wyman for tracking this down...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are thinking about relocating but don't want to loose trunk space, several people have moved it under the rear seats.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeCoupe runs a couple of Odyssey batteries under his rear seat if I recall. I'd probably go with the BMW battery SF Don posted to keep it traditional. Wish it was still available in White.

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the two under the seats have to be 6 volts or they wont fit
and one side needs to be bagged up a bit as there is a raised portion on the floor thats
why i chose the trunk

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys! However, I just got off the phone with local dealer. He says that part number is no longer in BMW system (61212353803). His current best price on a 765 CCA, (if it fits) is C$230. The hunt continues. Mike

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Contact Tone on this board - in Vancouver
Just picked up his.
200 Canadian

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
the two under the seats have to be 6 volts or they wont fit
and one side needs to be bagged up a bit as there is a raised portion on the floor thats
why i chose the trunk

Hi Alan,

Just clarifying for those interested in under the seat installations. They don't have to be 6v batteries. Sven is running 12v Odyssey PC680's under his seat. I haven't looked at them in person, but he's documented it on the forum.

Odyssey's are my favorite battery along with DieHard gold/platinum gel batteries. My main reason for switching to DieHard is the support from Sears Auto. I've used Batteries plus in the past and their warranty program sucks. They refused to replace my battery that was under warranty. My DieHard gold battery is dead. My e9 has a slow drain and I never drive the car. I'll take it to Sears and they will charge it and replace it if it's bad, no questions asked. That works at most places but some (like Batteries Plus) will only replace once.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This forum continues to amaze me. OK, so I will venture into the Vancouver dealer, (because I can see part of the invoice in 1 photo) not the suburban one. And not leaving till I get the right battery! Thanks SFDon

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a lithium battery?
I realize it would be anathema to the purists, and you may not be able to use your regular trickle chargers, but they are small and light.
Could easily hide it in the trunk.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, so here is the latest. Spoke to Rick in Parts Dept. at BMW Vancouver. (nice to find someone who has worked there for 40 years, knows what an E9 is) he remembered this battery and says he can get these anytime. So, now I know where to take my business. Again, thanks to SFDon whose influence knows no borders, as well as Wyman for tracking down this part number. Well done. May Santa be especially generous this year! Mike

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anything new re availability or experience? Óptima red or yellow? Bimmer? I went by Pep Boys to get Bosch locally, but size wasn’t there, they only had black ones they’d order & I had Bubba the know-nothing know-it-all behind the counter.

I’ve been picking up Duracell AGMs for other cars out of pure laziness on Sam’s runs. I’ll do that if I can’t source appealing local options & decide against Optima, b/c they work & they’re priced low enough I’d dump
should a white one pop up. Thoughts?