Batmobile sold at Christies Auction in England for......

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
CSL sale

At current rates that is:

$131,290.14 US dollars.
$147,583.18 CDN dollars
104,580.33 EURO
963,406.44 SA RAND
15,278,731.52 JAP YEN

WOW!!!!!

rwolak

Reaction score
That means that someone, as is the case with those who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on muscle cars, has more money than they know what to do with. Granted, the Bat is a very unique car, but $131K?????

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
iconoclast6 said:
It may also mean, time will tell, that a residual increase in value may accrue to all coupes...

Coupistas have been wishfully saying that for as long as I have been driving BMWs. I DO NOT want to be a wet blanket, but adjusted for inflation prices have been flat. The outlying big sales like this one do not establish a market any morew than picking three on the lotto means you've a better chance to pick six next week!

It IS though very interesting to see a spike of that level, its really about 2x what I'd have expected, I know Mobile Tradition was unwilling to pay 40k US in '96 for a 35,000kilometer unrestored orange CSL, I wonder what THEY would say the "value" is.

I think the seller did well, does anyone know if Christies takes their cut out of the gavel price? Or do they do like B-J here in the States and tack it on to the buyer? Or...(heavens!) ... both?

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whether it's Christies or any other big auction house (Sotheby's) their vig is both ways. Both the buyer and seller pay.

Malc

Reaction score
Christie's commonly charge the seller and the buyer a minimum of 10% , sometimes as high as 20% and there will be 17.5% VAT in there somewhere too
Malc

Yannick

Reaction score
Total price paid for lot 177 by the new happy owner was 84.600 Pounds. With today's Pound / Euro exchange rate (1,4489) we reach a total price of 123.000 Euros (including now the 17,5% tax amount).