BaT Two E3's as a lot

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, we read what we think we are seeing. In this case I was thinking Garage. Nope, it was motors. Interesting operation. I had not heard of them before.

Kind of wondered about how they had seriously expanded their business but really didn't think.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hammered at $9k for both. $2,250 and $6,750 if you assume the Bristol car is worth 25% of the total auction. The Inca car sold for $8k 7 1/2 years ago. Has it depreciated since then or is it the "anchor" of the RHD Bristol?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hammered at $9k for both. $2,250 and $6,750 if you assume the Bristol car is worth 25% of the total auction. The Inca car sold for $8k 7 1/2 years ago. Has it depreciated since then or is it the "anchor" of the RHD Bristol?
Good question. $9K (plus $450 buyer’s fee) is a great deal IMO. The seller would have done better if he listed the cars separately. But deserves credit for listing them together at NR. Buying back the Bristol Car for $2250 is a no brainer. Buyer is on the east coast, it will cost almost that much to transport it.

Last edited:

Pittraider18

Reaction score
Dan, we read what we think we are seeing. In this case I was thinking Garage. Nope, it was motors. Interesting operation. I had not heard of them before.

Kind of wondered about how they had seriously expanded their business but really didn't think.
Griots Motors is indeed part of the Griots Garage family. This is the side of business that focuses on restoration, maintenance and sales of the collection they keep as well as consignments now I believe. Been thru there a few times for various events.

otter74

Reaction score
Great deal for the buyer, i think. I suspect the Inka car would have done better if it had been sold on its own. But for someone who understands and can deal with transportation and storage, you basically get two cars for the price of one. If I had bought them, I would probably (given that I'm in the midwest) taken them up on the offer to buy the Bristol car back and used the money towards having them get the Inka car safe and ready for a road trip.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just shipped a vehicle from CA to GA and it costs less than $1200. It would have been less than $1000 if I could have cut out the broker and went direct to BAH Logistics.

otter74

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find someone who is shipping one way and has an empty trailer, who is happy to get a load going back. I'm only aware of this because I've noticed it on occasion on the Porsche forum I'm on.

70roundtail02

Reaction score
Hello everyone high bidder / winner of the two e3s today.

Can’t believe I actually got them at the final price that I did.

Conveniently these are only located about 30 min from my parents house as I’m originally from Washington. So shipping is a non issue, just flying out to help trailer them to the house.

Fun fact as you can see in the comments, I originally bid on the Inca car back in 16 when it was originally listed. Was deployed at the time and didn’t have reliable internet to close out the auction. Have been watching and looking at this car and the previously closed auction for years.

They will be joining a 70 2002, e28 m5, e34 m5 and an e31.

Christoph

Reaction score
This is a bit outdated now but, well, maybe someone is still interested. Congrats to @70roundtail02 !

The Inka Bavaria looks quite nice at first glance. Attractive colour, shiny paint except for the roof, sliding roof, little visible rust. When I came across an older ad I liked it without looking too closely. Today I guess there are several small to medium issues that leave me not too enthusiastic.

(Numbers of pictures are file names, not in the ad's actual order)
8325/8664 That dent was there in 2016. Surprised nobody has addressed it for seven years.
8332/8571 Lots of black glue around the replacement windscreen. Ill fitting sealing?
8343/8775 Protective undercoating missing.
8354 Torn vinyl seats seem quite common in America, but very rare around Europe. How come?
8360 Odd position of the rev counter hand. Stopping pin at zero missing?
8402/8554 Bonnet & bootlid are much rustier than the rest of the car.
8529/8571 Coolant overflow and door mirrors are Series 3.
8564 Rear screen sealing is in very bad condition and unobtainable these days.
8643/8644 Headlights look different left/right, at least one is badly rusty.
8413/8628/8663 Rear sidewall looks wavy, visible accident repair.

Then there is the headliner, speakers in the rear doorpanels, and the corroded wheel arch. And you cannot drive it to check for surprises or, hopefully, get a good feeling.

Christoph

Reaction score
The Bristol 2500: @Dick Steinkamp suggested I might comment on unusual (or rather Series 1) characteristics. Those who actually own Series 1 cars may please read this carefully and correct me where I go wrong.

8415 S1 bonnet differs from later cars, also different pattern of holes on the inside.
8421 Three jets for windscreen wiping, two in the box where the wiper motor sits, projecting through the grilles in the bonnet. Centre one on the engine side of the firewall, projecting through a hole in the bonnet.
8422 Clamps on the airbox are metal brackets & wire, not just wire.
8423 RHD have two small brake servos instead of a single large one.
8440 Hole in the bonnet for the centre wiper jet.
8449 Non-heated rear screen, standard on 2500 S1, but tinted. Probably very rare, in Germany tinted glass was available only with heated rear screen.
8450 Original rear screen. It is evident the car was repainted at some point. This is not the only hint.
8455 Door front right with later glass pane. Script in the wrong place, has to be top front corner. Roundel appeared later. Compare pic 8442 door front left.
8456 S3 late version mirror. Trapezoidal mirrors from approx. mid-1969 to mid-1974.
8461 On RHD cars fusebox and bonnet release handle stayed on the left side. If you want to get to the engine open the passenger door first.
8468 Buttons seem correct for 1970. All mounted upside down here except for the up/down lever. Earlier S1 cars had three smaller buttons and none on the temperature lever.
8470 The metal thing below the hazard light switch should be the end of the trip meter reset cable with its button missing. Heard about it for the first time not long ago. Exclusive to RHD cars.
8471/8496 Both front doors are too young. Doors from late 1969 or early 1970 until about mid 1973 show two reinforcing fins. Younger doors, like here, have five. (Very old doors come without fins at all.) Don't know when exactly the changes were. Interestingly the left door has an old glass pane.
8500 No small glovebox on RHD cars, just a fixed blank plate.
8507 S1 dashboard with separate hood over the instrument cluster. RHD cars stayed like this until the end.
8510 S1 rev counter with two openings for the red warning zone.
8588 Grilles should be silver/grey on S1.
8593/8594 Front indicators Euro right, US/CH left.
8717 No beltline trim on S1. Car was modernised, aftermarket beltline trim, black grilles.
8722 Correct old headlights with convex lenses. Starting about 1971 flat lenses were used.
8725 Grilles on C pillar left the factory in exterior colour.
8726 Trim rings are S3. Wheelcaps should be correct for 1970.
8742 Normal drip rails, appeared some time 1970. Early S1 have slightly shorter ones with three screws on the A pillar.
8745/8793 Not a factory hitch, not mounted like explained in the shop manual.
8796 Inside of S1 bootlid shows different pattern of holes.
8804/8820 DIY mid and rear parts of the exhaust.
8827 Very old fuel tank, probably original. Nearly all cars today have replacement tanks that show an X on the bottom side.

That is not everything. Hope it will do for a start. If someone spots things, tell me. I'd be glad to learn more about S1, RHD and the E3 in general.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bristol 2500: @Dick Steinkamp suggested I might comment on unusual (or rather Series 1) characteristics. Those who actually own Series 1 cars may please read this carefully and correct me where I go wrong.

8415 S1 bonnet differs from later cars, also different pattern of holes on the inside.
8421 Three jets for windscreen wiping, two in the box where the wiper motor sits, projecting through the grilles in the bonnet. Centre one on the engine side of the firewall, projecting through a hole in the bonnet.
8422 Clamps on the airbox are metal brackets & wire, not just wire.
8423 RHD have two small brake servos instead of a single large one.
8440 Hole in the bonnet for the centre wiper jet.
8449 Non-heated rear screen, standard on 2500 S1, but tinted. Probably very rare, in Germany tinted glass was available only with heated rear screen.
8450 Original rear screen. It is evident the car was repainted at some point. This is not the only hint.
8455 Door front right with later glass pane. Script in the wrong place, has to be top front corner. Roundel appeared later. Compare pic 8442 door front left.
8456 S3 late version mirror. Trapezoidal mirrors from approx. mid-1969 to mid-1974.
8461 On RHD cars fusebox and bonnet release handle stayed on the left side. If you want to get to the engine open the passenger door first.
8468 Buttons seem correct for 1970. All mounted upside down here except for the up/down lever. Earlier S1 cars had three smaller buttons and none on the temperature lever.
8470 The metal thing below the hazard light switch should be the end of the trip meter reset cable with its button missing. Heard about it for the first time not long ago. Exclusive to RHD cars.
8471/8496 Both front doors are too young. Doors from late 1969 or early 1970 until about mid 1973 show two reinforcing fins. Younger doors, like here, have five. (Very old doors come without fins at all.) Don't know when exactly the changes were. Interestingly the left door has an old glass pane.
8500 No small glovebox on RHD cars, just a fixed blank plate.
8507 S1 dashboard with separate hood over the instrument cluster. RHD cars stayed like this until the end.
8510 S1 rev counter with two openings for the red warning zone.
8588 Grilles should be silver/grey on S1.
8593/8594 Front indicators Euro right, US/CH left.
8717 No beltline trim on S1. Car was modernised, aftermarket beltline trim, black grilles.
8722 Correct old headlights with convex lenses. Starting about 1971 flat lenses were used.
8725 Grilles on C pillar left the factory in exterior colour.
8726 Trim rings are S3. Wheelcaps should be correct for 1970.
8742 Normal drip rails, appeared some time 1970. Early S1 have slightly shorter ones with three screws on the A pillar.
8745/8793 Not a factory hitch, not mounted like explained in the shop manual.
8796 Inside of S1 bootlid shows different pattern of holes.
8804/8820 DIY mid and rear parts of the exhaust.
8827 Very old fuel tank, probably original. Nearly all cars today have replacement tanks that show an X on the bottom side.

That is not everything. Hope it will do for a start. If someone spots things, tell me. I'd be glad to learn more about S1, RHD and the E3 in general.
WOW, I’m glad you didn’t look at my car after I bought it

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No kidding! Can you imagine sending your car you just bought, and one you are excited about as a driver, to a shop with this list?
A series 1 RHD drive car is pretty unique in the US (at least to me). I asked @Christoph to comment on some of the unique features (see my post #8). That is what the list is. It is not a "fix it" list. There are a few items that are not correct for a series 1 car, probably replaced over the life of the car, and Christoph points them out. It was a good E3 learning experience for me. Thank you Christoph.

Christoph

Reaction score
No kidding! Can you imagine sending your car you just bought, and one you are excited about as a driver, to a shop with this list?
It is exactly as @Dick Steinkamp explains. Maybe my list can be misunderstood. The 2500 is highly correct. Apart from the front doors, the front grilles and the beltline trim most things look as they should on a 1970 Series 1 car, at least to my knowledge. Front grilles and beltline trim were popular modifications in the early 70s to make S1 cars look less old and more like S2. Doors could rust, and they did. During the production run of the E3's three series we see lots and lots of small changes. I am far from knowing them all. Most people don't care, to some they are interesting. But please, don't take a fully functional car, and one you like, anywhere just to have small cosmetic issues corrected. I hear Mopar people are better at this anyway, we can leave it to them. I have a weak spot for Plymouths, so hope I don't offend anybody.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is exactly as @Dick Steinkamp explains. Maybe my list can be misunderstood. The 2500 is highly correct. Apart from the front doors, the front grilles and the beltline trim most things look as they should on a 1970 Series 1 car, at least to my knowledge. Front grilles and beltline trim were popular modifications in the early 70s to make S1 cars look less old and more like S2. Doors could rust, and they did. During the production run of the E3's three series we see lots and lots of small changes. I am far from knowing them all. Most people don't care, to some they are interesting. But please, don't take a fully functional car, and one you like, anywhere just to have small cosmetic issues corrected. I hear Mopar people are better at this anyway, we can leave it to them. I have a weak spot for Plymouths, so hope I don't offend anybody.
If it looks like an e3, smells like an e3 and drives like an e3, it must be an e3. Unless you’re trying to win a prize, which most people with these vehicles are not trying to do. I do thank Christoph for his insights. lots of info, but again unless you’re trying to build a prize winning vehicle there’s not much you can do. These cars are 50+ years old. :)