Barrett Jackson auction: clean looking '74 euro bumpers $40k

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I happened to catch 10 minutes of this annual auction in Phoenix tonight and they had a really clean looking 74 manual with skinny bumpers conversion . It had clear turn signal lenses but otherwise looked like a stock US car. Apparently they did a special intro on it earlier in the broadcast but I did not see it.

It went for $40,000

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Talked with someone who had hands on this car, a lot of issues, rust, imagine that, unmatched paint, upholstery incorrect, buyer will spend a ton to get it correct, was for sale prior to auction for 32k

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did Barrett Jackson yesterday. Not a ton of Euro cars there, but from what I saw, most of the Euro/sport cars were inside the tent where the high quality cars are. And they were high quality. The talbot that was going to be auctioned was drop dead gorgeous. the auction was close to 3X what it has been in the last several years and I found the cosmetics on all the cars was a good bit above average, but it was mostly muscle cars and some with warbly body work. All in all, a feast of the sensations. The only BMW I think I saw was a 2002. If nothing else, worth seeing the feeding frenzy at least once

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are all kinds of rumors as to what goes on there. My guess is there is a lot of back and forth bidding between sellers to keep prices up. That works as long as the auctioneers are in on it and don't charge fees on this type of winning bid.
When I see a mildly customized '54 Olds resto rod go for over $70K it makes one wonder. It still is something to be seen.