Australian 1973 BMW 3.0 CS

scottd

Reaction score
Any pics of under the hood, door jambs, trunk areas, etc.
My car is similar to yours- 73, auto, 55k miles, AC, unrestored. It was very well-maintained by first owner of many years, so I know much of maintenance history. Due to that, some bits obviously were used, replaced, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

Boobouna

Reaction score
Any pics of under the hood, door jambs, trunk areas, etc.
My car is similar to yours- 73, auto, 55k miles, AC, unrestored. It was very well-maintained by first owner of many years, so I know much of maintenance history. Due to that, some bits obviously were used, replaced, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

Ok I'll take some photos when I visit the car next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodspock

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your E9 looks in very original condition.

This car looks very similar to one which sold here in Queensland early last year (I think). From what I understood of that Qld car is that it was all original and only the bonnet had been repainted.

Also, my E9 is about 80 VIN numbers younger than yours.

Cheers,

Rod

Boobouna

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your E9 looks in very original condition.

This car looks very similar to one which sold here in Queensland early last year (I think). From what I understood of that Qld car is that it was all original and only the bonnet had been repainted.

Also, my E9 is about 80 VIN numbers younger than yours.

Cheers,

Rod

Hi Rod, that's interesting do you know the previous owner? Unfortunately this car did not come with any history. I bought from a museum here in NSW. They lost all the records in this car as they were managing 500 cars in their collection. The only thing they mentioned was that they believe this car was purchased from the man that manages the Linfox car collection. So I was expecting this came from Melbourne. So I'm keen to find out if this came from QLD as you suspect. I would love to find out as much as possible about the cars history. I'm hoping you know the previous owner.

m73

Reaction score
There are a few specific decals for the Australian only market. It would be nice to have a reference images from an original car.

I believe one of them is for tire (tyre) pressure F&R.

Nice car and welcome to E9 ownership.

-Mo

Boobouna

Reaction score
There are a few specific decals for the Australian only market. It would be nice to have a reference images from an original car.

I believe one of them is for tire (tyre) pressure F&R.

Nice car and welcome to E9 ownership.

-Mo

Ok I'll try my best with providing more photos

m73

Reaction score
No pressure, just thought if you where excited to do a first inspection and had a camera it would only make sense.

I know from experience taking & loading many pictures is time consuming.

I for one would roll down all the windows, pick a sunny day & drive. The photos can certainly wait.

Cheers,

Mo

rodspock

Reaction score
A very original ceylon car was for sale here in Queensland a bit over a year ago. It was in the Chapel Hill / Kenmore area.

I never saw the car - I only heard of its condition from another E9 owner (I will PM you his details) who is very knowledgable with these cars, and BMWs in general. The guy in question built the E9 Art Car replica and is building his own E9 racecar.

I will PM you.

Cheers,

Rod

Boobouna

Reaction score
Welcome! Your new acquisition looks amazing! Even equipped with A/C, nice. Whenever you get a moment, can you identify or simply take a photo of the a/c compressor used on this car. Wondering if it is the big York unit or perhaps a Bosch compressor. Just curious. Have fun! Mike

I think it's a York. See pic attached
1c99144b0c868edadc197ec510fa7be8.jpg
98cf26ab988879d46a850b4a8e2522ba.jpg
108d9e7ceb59ee6d490db73c45de0c7a.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great photos, thanks for taking the time. Yup, looks like the mighty Yorkie! Enjoy, Boobouna. Mike
Beautiful car, said before, worth saying again and again. You probably know Coupes that went to the Empire, I believe, had the fog light on the bottom of the bumper. Is there a factory-specific side? I do prefer the light mounted next to the plate like my CSi. Any idea why the difference. It is a cleaner more integrated look.

Also, what is the name of the museum your beauty came from? Looks like an interesting collection.

Thanks, Steve

Boobouna

Reaction score
Beautiful car, said before, worth saying again and again. You probably know Coupes that went to the Empire, I believe, had the fog light on the bottom of the bumper. Is there a factory-specific side? I do prefer the light mounted next to the plate like my CSi. Any idea why the difference. It is a cleaner more integrated look.

Also, what is the name of the museum your beauty came from? Looks like an interesting collection.

Thanks, Steve

Yeah I don't know much about the fog lights below the bumpers. I too would prefer the clean look of having it mounted next to the plate. The museum here in Australia is the Gosford Car Museum. Collection of approx 500 cars. He had 3 e9's, mine was the second best of the 3, there was one better in my opinion that I just missed out on. It was more expensive in Tundra Green and was even more original than mine. The body was perfect and it had full service history to back up the mileage, first owner had it for 30yrs. My Ceylon is still excellent and I'm very happy. I just dropped her off yesterday to get work done, overhauling the brake boosters and steering box, then refreshing several items, new bushes all round, spark plugs, ignition leads, cap and rotor, drag link, the list goes on. In two weeks she should be ready to go. Can't wait!!!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW parts books show Bosch rectangular lights, but, installation was done by the dealer and they could have sold anything they wanted.

Boobouna

Reaction score
The BMW parts books show Bosch rectangular lights, but, installation was done by the dealer and they could have sold anything they wanted.

Yeah my fog light is a Bosch light.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful car! Congratulations Boobouna! (Gotta love those Aussie names. I used to work near Wooloomooloo and live near Kirribilli...)

Two questions for the experts:
First, was that ultra thick horn button very common? You rarely see those. I imagine it is a safety thing so I would have thought the US would have required those fairly early on.
Second, you say these are original seats. Did the vinyl seats have that fold over the shoulder area? That is usually a sign of a recovered seat. At least in the leather version.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo, Vinyl basketweave seats look just like this one, we are used to seeing leather so it looks a bit different. I have only seen a few pics of the thick horn pad, I would also like to know if this was dictated by the market where sold.