Australian 1973 BMW 3.0 CS

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a just purchased (my first) a numbers matching 1973 CS automatic with 47k original miles and am trying to get it roadworthy after it had been sitting in a museum for a few years. It's in great original condition except the paint has been done at least some time in its history, but it is in its correct Ceylon colour which I believe is a reasonably rare colour. It's a good straight body and the interior is very good. Just missing a stereo which I will fill in with a period correct Blaupunkt/Becker. I will be scouring the pages of this forum to help me in my quest to get this car in tip top shape.
2d39d4a6e617ab0367ea2354ec35f470.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4c3cbcf44af7b3ef04116777af4fa4be.jpg
620bc5a7c85060de5486e83c0cc4905f.jpg
9637a9af0600e05be6e293d2cadde4ae.jpg
28622da1d791f0ff154e04bc8b521909.jpg
92edd7c8d6026dbed6e72709acacec9a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3593.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    700.4 KB · Views: 212

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! Your new acquisition looks amazing! Even equipped with A/C, nice. Whenever you get a moment, can you identify or simply take a photo of the a/c compressor used on this car. Wondering if it is the big York unit or perhaps a Bosch compressor. Just curious. Have fun! Mike

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As Mike stated, she's a beauty! It should have the York, they came with all US coupes at least and were installed at the port.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Yes the a/c is a good factory option to have. I saw 5 other E9's here in Australia before I bought this and none of them had factory air con. The car is offsite in storage at the moment so I won't be able to get a photo of the compressor until I visit the car in a couple of weeks.

Boobouna

Reaction score
FYI this is an Australian delivered car.

scottd

Reaction score
Nice car. From another 73 auto survivor. I suppose I should know this, but I didn't realize any of the 3.0 had a wooden dash top (vs the vinyl). Thought that was an earlier detail. Or was it a non-USA option, along with the vinyl?

Scott

Boobouna

Reaction score
I have seen several Australian delivered and U.K. delivered cars here and they all have the wooden dash top. These cars ranged from 72-74. So I'm thinking it must have been standard here. Although I don't have any reference to the Australian factory option list.

scottd

Reaction score
And while we are making requests... Can you post pics of your car? :)Not a ton of original cars, and I'd love to see some details. Thanks!

Scott

Boobouna

Reaction score
Hi Scott, apart from the 6 i have already posted i only have the following extra shots. My car is in an offsite storage facility so i cant take pictures of it until i go to the shed. These will have to do for now.

Boobouna

Reaction score
And while we are making requests... Can you post pics of your car? :)Not a ton of original cars, and I'd love to see some details. Thanks!

Scott
Once i get back to the storage shed is there anything in particular you want me to take photos of? What details would you like me to focus on? Mind you being a non-US car there are always going to be differences with the US cars. Another thing on my car which i didnt see on any other i inspected here is the rear fog light sitting underneath the right side of the bumper. I have seen this is some pics of cars in the UK, but it doesnt seem to be that common. I dont particularly like the look of it but its probably a rare option for cars here so ill keep it on the car for originality purposes.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Wow, from the photos the interior is in such perfect condition and so original.

Hey Malcolm I'm sure we will get the nsw guys together for a drive and you will be able to see it. Don't get me wrong the interior is in very good condition but The photos make it look even better than it is. For me the condition of the interior is important as it's difficult to replace.