Austin: 1974 3.0 CS - $32K

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a little curious about the fender tops at the firewall. looks a little questionable from the pics ... sure the sound insulation is missing, but i'm curious about the messy stuff present. overall, this looks quite good otherwise. somebody ought to go take a look at it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Checking it out tomorrow for a friend, anyone have any info please post here, it looks way too good from the pictures and the pictures are not from Austin because the last time we had trees that big here there were dinosaurs roaming the earth. Still, it will be interesting to see and I'll post my findings!

The VIN is 4310099

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Checking it out tomorrow for a friend, anyone have any info please post here, it looks way too good from the pictures and the pictures are not from Austin because the last time we had trees that big here there were dinosaurs roaming the earth. Still, it will be interesting to see and I'll post my findings!

The VIN is 4310099

I honestly thought it was your coupe at first. I had to look up your thread to find your black interior and skinny bumpers. :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was your coupe at first. I had to look up your thread to find your black interior and skinny bumpers. :D
Peter, many of us ARE dinosaurs. And lovely big-bumpered car, tucked or not.
Steve

DSC

Reaction score

The VIN is 4310099

DSC

Reaction score

The VIN is 4310099

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wll never understand all the trouble to go through a paint job, only to paint over this ugly mess:

00C0C_2c17pIUtbtS_1200x900.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like the grinder wasn’t under control

I see a few nicks in the metal. For the most part the metal looks pitted. Honestly I don't see that as a bad thing. The metal was cleaned up and painted. It isn't worn through, and it isn't buttered up either.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, spent over an hour on the car today, here is my take;

First of all, the young man who is selling/consigning the car is a very nice, interesting and enterprising gentleman, I enjoyed meeting him. Second, I truly believe the owner of the car is a caring and conscientious person based on the receipts I saw and the mechanical work that was performed, I think he really cared for the car and that's always a good thing. The car looks really nice, extremely shiny and all the parts are there however our old friend rust got to allot of areas that are tough to get at and repair and for this reason I advised my friend to consider looking elsewhere. Front to back, both sides the floors will need replacing (there was already a rivit-patch on the left rear which has degraded). At first it was tough to see because the undercoating was holding allot of it together, truly- so although the rocker seams looked dry I still think there will be some issues in there.

Front wings were removed at some point and possibly new ones put on, the metal looked clean but there was significant decay around the under-strut mount area and the seams at the top of the fenders were not as they should be- some separation etc. There was also a pretty decent size hole in the firewall behind the fuseblock, the glovebox was locked and I couldn't look back there. The current owner strikes me as someone who probably did not really look there much. Other than that there was some rust repair likely on the roof (It's a sunroof car) and you can see what's lurking behind the Botox.

Make no mistake, this is a great looking car, it's just that there is no getting around the repairs necessary. All my comments hopefully will be taken respectfully but I think there is around 10K worth of rust remediation and that's if it's done with the owner removing everything, so , I guess I mean that's what I think it would cost me to do-have it done- if that makes any sense, and then there would be a bit of re-painting where the wings would have to come off and who knows what else might be found that could put the repair price higher.

If someone were up for the project I would think a high of 20K in the current market would be fair depending on the buyer. I have seen more solid examples for around that but these things are not getting cheaper and they're not reproducing so I guess it depends on how much you enjoy pain :)

I hope that was helpful and if anyone is interested in the car I would be happy to go over my findings with them.

DSC

Reaction score
Pete, thank you for taking the time to check out the car and sharing your thoughts.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
excellent post mortem of a coupe that looked very good from pictures. this is a great reminder why having somebody that knows a coupe to thoroughly look one over.