Attaching Rocker Panel Trim Moulding

cpeavey

Reaction score
I am trying to re-attach the chrome/rubber moulding strip on my rocker panel. I know it's mostly attached with the H-shaped plastic clips, but the strip has the remains of a captive threaded stud in it, much like the metal clips for securing the beltline trim. It floats around in the forward end of the strip, but I can't get it out of the strip without cutting something.

The parts diagrams are pretty vague on this.

Does anyone know how this strip is properly attached? Are you supposed to insert a new metal clip into the strip, then remove the rocker panel cover ("sill strip") in order to secure the stud with a nut on the backside, then reinstall the rocker cover?

thanks,
Charlie P.
'74 3.0CS

shanon

Reaction score
I found it much easier to re-install the chrome strip with the rocker cover OFF. Much easier to secure the chrome strip with access to the back side.

I did make some mods to the plastic barb fasteners to ensure that the chrome would never pop/fall off while driving. Had visions off the strip popping off while driving along and being kicked back up and slapping the newly painted body or getting lost entirely (NLA item?).....:shock:

It is also a good opportunity to touch-up/paint the rocker cover and inspect your rocker panels.

HTH
-shanon

corsachili

Reaction score
That was one of the worst jobs I had to do when I did my CS, and also my CSL. As I recall, the plastic clips goes on the rocker panel first, and then you snap the rubber/chrome trim strip on. I let the trim strip sit in the sun for a few hours so that rubber was pliable, and I might have even used some love lube to help it on. You have to rap it hard with a soft headed mallet or the palm of your hand to get it to snap on to the clip. I remember being very concerned that I was going to dent or ding the rocker panel when I did this. I also remember being very happy when it was over.

-tj

cpeavey

Reaction score
Okay, I'm hearing that I should definitely remove the cover to install the strip. (I have to admit, I'm afraid to look in there)

Can anyone confirm that there should be a threaded post/stud thingy that securely attaches the strip at the front end, in addition to the plastic clips?

Thanks,
Charlie

shanon

Reaction score
yep, threaded fasteners at the end.
Will be evident once cover is removed.

HTH
-shanon

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put mine on with the clips and the rocker covers in place and by sliding the trim on starting at the rear and working forward. The front end of the trim strip has a wider gap between the metal "rails" (about 3/4" long) on the back side which made it easier to get it over the H-clip. It does require a helper to tap on the end of the trim piece while you push the trim very firmly against the rocker as you work it forward.