Art of Racing in the Rain

Tone

Reaction score
In late Sept this year Universal and Starbucks Films are releasing the above movie. It details the life of a mechanic/race car driver. The twist is the driver’s life is seen through the eyes of his dog. The production was filmed in Vancouver BC, and was considered a medium spend at $35,000,000. Now you are probably wondering why Tim is blathering on about some inane movie seen through the eyes of a dog. What I have left out is the fact that the “hero car” in the film is a 1972 BMW 3.0CSi. Now how much the car is featured I can’t say but the crew spent a lot of time getting the car ready and even went so far as to purchase a second car. It will be nice to see how the car turns out in the film, as well as getting additional recognition.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m looki
Hi Tim

Any idea on the name of the film or when it suppose to be released?

Thanks, Rick

The film is named after the book:

“The Art of Racing in the Rain”

I think it’s slated for the summer. Subscribed!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The story of Denny Swift, a race car driver and customer representative in a Seattle BMW dealership, who drives a coupe... a '73 BMW 3.0csi

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An excellent read for anyone with a aging canine. Its very comforting...I have sent at least three copies to friends with dogs that are not long for the world. Unless you are a cat-person, read it, you wont regret it....
Seems like it was to be a project with Patrick Dempsey (actor/racer)..don't know if that panned out...

Last edited:

BBOY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I talked to the mechanic who work on both CS. They are filming the movie in Vancouver and Toronto that's why they need two identical car. One of the car is from Vancouver, B.C. and the other is from the State. They bought some parts from me.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish someone would do, Last Open Road, by Burt Levy. It wouldn’t have as broad an appeal as RITR (eg my wife would hate it), but all my car buddies would go.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
We named our dalmatian Enzo after all reading the book, you just need a bit of a stiff upper lip to get through the first chapter. Looking forward to the film.

Cheers. John

Honolulu

Reaction score
Read the book by Garth Stein several years ago on the fly, standing in the aisles of Barnes and Noble. It's quite the tearjerker, a dog-loving wife (if there is such a thing) would really get into it. The protagonist is supposedly an driving instructor, and does other things.

I also would much rather a film version of The Last Open Road.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I cannot wait to see this movie...I remember reading it years ago at the advice of my stepdad. Apart from the references to our beloved coupes, it's really an outstanding story in so many ways, whether you have a dog or not. I lost my 15 year old Springer Spaniel in fall 2017 and I'm still mourning Chloe so the movie will probably make me a mess again. But truly, guys, a book to read for sure...it's a remarkable narrative perspective of life and living through the eyes of a canine that makes all of the experiences that much more interesting.

Tone

Reaction score
Wayne, I echo your sentiments exactly. We’ve had two golden labs over the years, Kody and Roly, who provided great company and friendship. The book does a great job of connecting you to Enzo.

Trust all is well. Tim.

gwittman

Reaction score
I didn't read the book but I got the CD and listened to it. It is a great story and I am a cat fan. Well, I love all animals. I can't wait for the movie to come out. A few years ago, I was playing the book for my crew chief while going cross country to a race. He was really into it until I told him it was not about a real person. He didn't want to finish it after that. He has a bit of Asperger's Syndrome and has some funny ways about him. He is great with technical stuff though.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I thought about my post today and missed my dog. Here’s my Facebook post from a few years ago and I rarely post on fb:
Chloe Killen
2002 - 2
upload_2019-3-28_19-39-48.png

Yesterday, our beloved canine Chloe left us for dog heaven after more than 15 years of helping define our family experiences and three kids growing up. I will sorely miss my dear Springer Spaniel who came into our lives from Half Moon Bay as a pre-condition to Madison for one of my many career relocations.

May your next life be filled with grassy meadows and gentle surf beaches to frolick in, a nice bed for you to leap on and sleep, and occasional tasty table scraps.

Most of all know that you made a difference for the five Killens, young and old, especially me and the happy dance you would provide daily after I would come home from work for all but the last year when your hip pain and other maladies would keep you resting.

Rest in peace, our beloved friend

Tone

Reaction score
CB54247F-7125-46BD-973E-75741796C266.jpeg
Well Wayne, you motivated me to find a picture of our “best dog” Roly. Couldn’t fetch to save his life, but was more fun then we ever imagined. You can see it in his face. Always ready for that next adventure, even if it was just out and back. He is missed.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a sweet heart! Chloe could not fetch either but she made up for it by swimming with us in more than a few outer banks vacations. I think I'll organize an E9 movie night for my buddies out here with E9s - Doug and Chris come this September. Thanks, Tim