Are we allowed to discuss problems with coupe parts vendors?

audiomagnate

Reaction score
I just had an amazingly unprofessional experience with an on-line used parts vendor. I read the guidelines but I was wondering if it was OK to share.

bmw art car

Reaction score
i'd probably write a couple of PM instead of posting online
maybe it's just a one time bad experience?

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Hmmmm, how about this. " I did not have a positive experience with xyz when purchasing x...maybe it was an isolated case. PM me if you have a had similar positive or negative experience." If you are getting all positive feedbacks you owe to that vendor and follow up stating that maybe it was an isolated case....if they are negative feedback you may want to thank the people who pm you and encourage to politely without ranting inform some of us to be careful with that vendor...or be very clear when purchasing.
I certainly would have made a different decision about a costly purchase I made in the past. Instead I received a bunch of pms about "buyer beware"...but it was too late. Just don't let it become a ranting thread.

good luck.
abe

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love making scenes at banks and doctor's offices and see how they try to contain the damage before other customers get bad vibes. My own family separates and pretends they don't know me. It is hard to make a scene on-line, so go ahead and make it here. We'll pretend we don't know you.

TodB

Reaction score
vendor feedback

Over on the mye28 board, they have a couple of stickys where users can post their experiences with vendors, on line or not, and other users with regard to purchases or services. The feedback is both positive and negative but mainly positive.

See the top two stickys here >> http://www.mye28.com/viewforum.php?f=4

If done constructively, whatever that means, I think its a good idea.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E9 community is so small, that I think it's a good thing if we can watch each other's backs. But I would definitely give specifics of the problem, and let the vendor reply before the pig-pile...

I also think it's a good thing if we list positive experiences as well. That being said, I'll start....

Skip, aka Mr. Glasscars. INCREDIBLLE quality fiberglass airdam. A little old-school when it comes to business (not internet savvy, and he uses a PO Box for payment that he doesn't check often), but a straight-up guy. When Fedex DESTROYED the airdam in shipping, he made another one for me ASAP, and dealt with the claim on his end.

La Jolla Independent. I just ordered from them a few days ago, but Ben was incredibly professional on the phone. Ordering and payment was easy, and he made sure everything was in stock before getting off the phone. One part was not, so he said he would order it immediately and ship everything together. Great customer service, looking forward to getting my lowering springs!

Ireland Engineering. I ordered my roof hoop from them. Ridiculously cheap, fantastic fiberglass work, and somehow got from California to Virginia in 2 days! Thanks Jeff!

I have also had a not-so-good experience with an E9 parts vendor, but I'll hold off on that one....

Last edited:

bmw art car

Reaction score
I love making scenes at banks and doctor's offices and see how they try to contain the damage before other customers get bad vibes. My own family separates and pretends they don't know me. It is hard to make a scene on-line, so go ahead and make it here. We'll pretend we don't know you.

this is actually a pretty funny post... hehe arde , pretty funny

pmansson

Reaction score
I have several issues with one of the better known garages/parts suppliers in CA.
I am awaiting his offer and willingness to sort it out before posting.

Shawn

Reaction score
I think you have a duty to let us know of experiences, good or bad. We all spend more $$$ than we should on coupe parts and should divert those funds to honest, reliable and trusted sources.

I do ask that you try to give an honest opinion of those becuae our community is small and overly sensitive to some issues.

That being said, let us know.

Thanks,

Shawn

audiomagnate

Reaction score
OK, here goes. I didn't lose any money, but I'm still pissed. I found out my head was cracked last week so I started looking for a replacement. I found one here:
http://apexengineering.com/astore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_93_96&products_id=68 and ordered the part on line with my credit card. After not receiving any emails confirming the purchase or shipment, I called the number on the website. I was told by the office manager that:

1. The on line ordering process doesn't work because it's not linked to their credit card vendor, but the system does capture all the contact information as well as the credit card information. In other words, Apex has an e-commerce site that does absolutely nothing except capture credit card numbers and expiration dates! Any order placed on the web-site goes nowhere. I was told that in addition to the site not being ready, the inventory on the site is also meaningless because it is rarely updated. My question is, if it's not ready, why the hell is it up and taking bogus orders and collecting credit card information? Anyone can go ahead and re-order the head I've already ordered right now.

2. I decided to just place the order over the phone. When I asked if the head had been pressure tested she told me she didn't know, but that it wasn't cracked. I asked her if I could return it if it failed a pressure test and was told that I could not, all used parts were sold as is. I agreed to those somewhat vague terms because I really need the part.

3. A few minutes later, instead of a confirmation email, I got this:
===================================================

Hi Kevin,

I spoke to the Owner of our shop regarding the Used 2002 M10 121 Cylinder Head and he has decided to keep the head in house for any of our customers that will need the part. We will disregard any credit card information received online. We have a local used BMW auto parts store that we highly recommend, they are called Autobahn (619) 444-2290 and you can ask for Sean or John. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you again for your understanding.

Marina Croce
Office Manager | San Diego Performance European
[email protected]
858-751-0710 office | 858-751-0910 fax

==================================================

I guess they don't consider me a customer, but at least they have my credit card information on file.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Well, I think they handled it correctly. Maybe they were low on that product...or the only one left in stock and must always have it available to their long standing repair guys or already spoken for. Maybe since it was not tested it was easier to sell it to their local guy that could be easily exchanged then end up with an upset customer if it did crack and now have to deal with a pissed off customer. Whatever the reason..I think they did you a favor by not selling it. I may not be happy..but it was handled correctly.
abe

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Indeed, it doesn't sound like they were trying to bilk you or anything, but their online system was just a front. At least they were pretty up-front about it, and didn't try to give you the run-around for a few weeks.

No harm, no foul.

bmw art car

Reaction score
i see it in a similar way

they probably thought instead of selling you a questionable part
and having you kick up a fuzz , if something is wrong with it to not forgo the deal and sell it to someone else.
that's pretty fair play.

now that gave me an idea...
how if we (our board) would purchase a parts car... in descent shape.
and we put money in a pot and get a certain value of credit (in relation to what was put in the pot) in parts ?
then if one needs something, one gets them in accordance to the credit and then either pays the balance or gets some credit back. any surplus in money could be used for new parts and those could be used in a raffle to benefit all members...
just an idea... maybe someone else likes it :D

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now that gave me an idea...
how if we (our board) would purchase a parts car... in descent shape.
and we put money in a pot and get a certain value of credit (in relation to what was put in the pot) in parts ?

Neat, I volunteer for treasury.