Any recommendations for paint job in LA/OC

adammusavvir

Reaction score
I would like to know where and how much. I would like to get an idea how much is the good paint job done for 1973 3.0cs.

I’m trying to understand what is the realistic cost to do it

Adam

Honolulu

Reaction score
Adam... better be sitting down when the price comes.

More importantly, you'll have to more closely define your version of "good" before a useful answer can be given, other than a range or ranges you aren't looking for.

Does the job include door jambs?
Will it be the same color paint?
Trim off?
Glass out?
Single stage, two or three?
What is the current condition of the car with respect to dings and dents?
Will the paint shop have to address rust?
What will you do if they find rust?
What are your expectations for the time you'll allocate for the job?
What is your preference or requirement for brand of paint?

And mostly, have you talked to anyone in your local area (shop or individual) to form some initial impressions?

adammusavvir

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
I am sitting down, and preparing myself to be blown away haha.
I am considering a good paint job, meaning the car is not in an original paint color and I want to restore back to the original color. I want to make it look like it is the way it was before. No overspray or anything or shortcuts. I would say include door jambs, trim off and glass out I guess.
I do not know the difference from single stage, two or three.
I'd say the condition is great. I didn't see any rusts at all.
I have no expectation or preferences since I have no knowledge in regards in body shop or paint job at all.

I have, they are giving very different numbers and ultimately I will have the bring car in. The car is not yet with me, hence the reason I am getting quotes to see to get the idea how much of the paint job knowing when proceeding the sale.

Adam

Honolulu

Reaction score
Adam, okay it would seem the car is in pretty good condition but repainted in another color. I'm no painter but the general description follows.

Single stage paint is sprayed (over sealer and primer) in the final color without an over-coat of clear. The paint is taken from the can, thinned as needed to spray, and shot onto the car. They can be enamel, acrylic, lacquer. The painted surface is directly exposed to the elements, unlike a two-stage paint. They are moderately toxic.

Two-stage is a name generally used for paints that are part resin and part hardener, and where the color coat is applied first, followed by a clear coat. They are generally urethane based and the vapors can be extremely toxic until the paint has cured. This drives up the cost for the painter who has to wear additional protection, and must spray in a controlled booth where the overspray and fumes can be contained, filtered and disposed.

Three stage paint is for "fancy" effects like candy coating, where after the first, color coat (which can be several layers, but all colored) the second layer is partially transparent, followed by a coat(s) of clear. Most expensive and generally, to pursue originality in our cars, not appropriate. But the owner's money speaks loudest.

In the end you and your car should visit several paint shops to assess cost, time it will take, and your general feeling for the work they do. It helps if you can see some of the cars they have painted previously.

Stevehose

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It might be better to ask members here for paint shop recommendations in your area, then visit them for estimates in the flesh instead of us prognosticating from keyboards in our underwear. Then report back here for opinions on the estimates and findings.

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My take on this is to understand what you have and get a paint job that's appropriate. If you have a very solid 73 3.0cs, the difference between changing the color of the car and going the next step and making it look like it was always that color is something that might haunt you later. If you're not the one stripping the car down and assembling it afterwards, that will be half of the cost. If you have a solid color it's single stage from the factory, two stage (base, clear) if it's metallic. Single stage paints are fine and will look original. These cars get garaged so you don't have to worry about fading or problems with polishing.

Hopefully some of the guys here that had their cars painted will chime in...

sfdon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Richard Leong, great guy.
Has done so many top notch cars
Srennoc
Iverson
Pelly
And more....
It’s never the paint- it’s the body work.
20-35k

adammusavvir

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the valuable inputs. I will definitely check out the shops and shop around. I think I may lean towards to stage one or stage 2. Depending on the pricing. Thank you again. BTW I had no IDEA how much paint job can cost. I didn't realize it was that expensive.

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I can add. If you take the car apart for jams, windshield out, trim off... engine compartment? It is very difficult to see the car go back together without putting restored or really good parts back on. In other words, you may start out thinking you're going to change the color of the car and end up do everything mechanical and chassis also.

What color is your car now and what is the color you're changing it to?

adammusavvir

Reaction score
Dang,
You brought up a very good point. I will have to explore that option. I do not have any car at moment. I am planning to purchase one and I am trying my due diligence and understand how much I should be expecting for a paint job, it would be just go to back original color, I believe Nautblau.