Any ideas? Get the window tension spring back in place

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am starting the window upgrade. First problem is one of the tension springs came off at some point in the past.
Any innovative ideas on how to get it back on?
E999A9B1-B3B2-45BF-AE1B-7C56D8E739DA.jpeg

Honolulu

Reaction score
Main strength and simple hand tools. Vise grips, arc-joint pliers, screwdriver... Make sure that when (not if) it slips, you won't get hit. This suggests putting the gear in a vise, then using both hands on the spring.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s a helper spring that is under tension when the window is down. I would start by moving the window arm to a fully open position so you don’t have to pull the spring as far. To close it you could try a hose clamp, but only put the clamp over
half of the width of the spring. That way you can slip the spring over the tab. Also, put some grease on the inside diameter of the hose clamp.

I’ve never tried that, but it is what comes to mind.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eye protection for sure.
Hose clamp and brut force, sounds like a recipe for disaster :D
Thanks for the input.
Here we go.......

jmackro

Reaction score
Alternative "B" is to just leave the &^%$# things off. They really don't make much difference. I have removed them from my coupe and the windows work fine. I suspect that the amount of energy they can store is peanuts compared with what is required to raise the windows. Time spent cleaning and aligning the tracks will pay off more than installing those silly springs.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alternative "B" is to just leave the &^%$# things off. They really don't make much difference. I have removed them from my coupe and the windows work fine. I suspect that the amount of energy they can store is peanuts compared with what is required to raise the windows. Time spent cleaning and aligning the tracks will pay off more than installing those silly springs.

I upgraded all motors to E28.
I took the springs off the front window mechanisms.
I left the back ones. Don't really know why.
The fronts were harder to install the motors and the springs made it even harder.
Doesn't seem to be an issue with operation.
Gary

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, this what I was thinking. Lot of effort to get the spring back I place with minimal or no gain in overall window up/down performance. The motor will maintain the window position.
Actually plan to work on this project tomorrow. I have a couple of ideas for the spring. If they work out great. If not, I will leave it.
Thanks for the input.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: Figured out that someone had attached the spring 180 degrees out at center. Once I got the spring hooked (that was a bitch) on found there was way to much tension on the gear movement. Looked at the passenger side assembly and saw the attachment at the center was 180 degrees out. Removed the tension spring and put it in the correct orientation. Now it works the same as the passenger side window. :) Also, much easier to get it hooked on in this configuration.