antennae location

w. chen

Reaction score
hi, i have a 74 cs going thru a restoration and am wondering the proper location of the radio antennae. i have seen some on the left front fender and some at the left rear quarter and also at varying locations on the quarter panel. i would appreciate if there is anyone out there who knows the precise location of the antennae. i would like to make it a correct spot. thanks for any help.

w. chen

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Antenna

No two cars have the exact same location, that was left to the dealer or aftermarket installer. If you want electric, you can't beat the left rear fender in the trunk where it stays nice and clean and free from road rash. If you put it in the left front fender it will be exposed to the wheel well.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have front left fender electric, but would prefer a hidden antenna.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I installed the antenna on the left front fender when I replaced the fenders. There is a reinforcing plate under the location shown in the manual.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
If you have a left driver...IMHO there is only one good position, that is in the left rear. I think the front takes away from the looks and the left rear with a little tilt gives it a sporty look....makes the car look faster.
abe

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I agree with Abe3.0CSi. For those infidels who drive in the rain (ok, ok I just had to), note the front fender is more exposed to the elements than the trunk. The electrics would be expected to not last as long, all things being equal.

my $0.02. TIOLI.

By the way, I've been driving the 2800 quite a bit lately, including some twisty roads and have had an absolutely great time! Just thought I'd share the joy of early summer, all windows down and loving it!

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a power antenna in the location as specified in the blue book, but if I ever get around to restoring my car instead of just driving and enjoying it, I'll be looking for something like these.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/details.lasso?itemid=HAB

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd105.htm

Don't know how powerful other concealed units may be, but I see no reason to use a motorized antenna on a newly restored coupe. Might as well get bigger side marker lights....

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Having the antenna up to listen to the radio, proved problematic for me. After drives of any meaningful distance,
I was always tightening the shaft up..so I opted for an antenna delete.

A bit of body work & paint, and one never knew we ever had an antenna. Makes for a sleeker appearance, with no antenna shake, when on the move.

Added an invisible antenna (Crutchfield) under my dash, and surprisingly I get better reception.....

w. chen

Reaction score
guys, thanks for the tips. i guess i will have to make a hard decision. but probably going for the rear quarter panel with an electric antennae plucked from the e30/e24. will have to test the feasibility. thanks again.

w. chen

CSL 1973

Reaction score
If you want to have the antenna mounted in a period correct way like in the 70s, I think it depends on the year model of the car. Early E9s had the antenna on the front left wing. Sometimes in 1973 or 1974, BMW changed the location (for reasons mentioned in previous posts) to the rear (left).

A period correct antenna should be in chrome (Hirschmann).

Cheers