Another Fjord on BaT

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
This was a nice driver in the most popular color finish. Last Friday, their reserve was $110K. They showed me the listing on their computer. The previous owner probably had at least $150K in the car. He traded it in for a Cobra and took a loss for a car he preferred to have in his collection. The seller posted on Bat after the close that they did not know enough about the car to keep it in their inventory. Look at the pics of their warehouse full of Porsches , Ferraris, & Cobras. The dealer in Nevada will probably sell it to someone in a moderate climate who will have a Euro CSi with no "style lines". And god forbid if the buyer tries to get it registered in California.....

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think all the dealer's superlatives scared off as many buyers as the body line.
I started reading this site about two years before I bought my car. I watched all the for sale discussions, whether cars offered here or commentary on cars being offered elsewhere, and learned a lot. In the ten years I have owned my coupe, my opinion hasn't changed. This site is so good you would be a fool to buy a coupe without spending some time here. Moreover, you would be a fool to try to sell one for more than $100k without spending some time here.

And when the collective wisdom of the forum becomes apparent, its not smart to say "I've sold lots of old cars and I know better." I think this seller cost his client a fair bit of money.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the buyer got a great deal. this was a pretty nice car.(all forum commentary aside and considered ) Pretermitting the California issue, another $50,000 in this car would go a long way to make it special and would not be unreasonable,(assuming spending $150,000 on a car is not unreasonable per se, depends on the pocketbook, ). A good body guy should be able to do the style lines.
But I agree completely. If you want one of these cars, this is the place to start.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I started reading this site about two years before I bought my car. I watched all the for sale discussions, whether cars offered here or commentary on cars being offered elsewhere, and learned a lot. In the ten years I have owned my coupe, my opinion hasn't changed. This site is so good you would be a fool to buy a coupe without spending some time here. Moreover, you would be a fool to try to sell one for more than $100k without spending some time here.

And when the collective wisdom of the forum becomes apparent, its not smart to say "I've sold lots of old cars and I know better." I think this seller cost his client a fair bit of money.
Chris--The seller took the CSi on a trade for the Cobra. They have the titles for all of the cars in their inventory according to what they told me.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris--The seller took the CSi on a trade for the Cobra. They have the titles for all of the cars in their inventory according to what they told me.
I understand, but it appeared to me that Corvette guy still had some financial interest in the car, based on the seller's recurring use of "we" in his discussions about ownership and whatnot. My thought is that the purchase price of the Cobra was fixed, but the value of the trade in depended in whole or in part on the auction sales proceeds. If I'm right about this, Corvette guy would need to pony up some cash to make up (all or a part of) the shortfall from the original reserve.

Regardless of who held title and the financial arrangements behind the auction, my main point was that the seller's attempts to diminish and/or ignore comments from sfdon, HBchris, Markos and others decreased the auction sales price. Contrast this to any of Paul Cain's auctions, HBChris' auction, or more recently, Drew Feustal's pagoda auction where every question and/or comment about the car's condition was addressed promptly and factually without the fluff and superlatives.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last I checked Astronauts aren’t used car salesmen……

For a very good reason. Drew makes a lifestyle of integrity.

Not so much used car salesmen…..

”Asked about their perceptions of dealerships:86% worry about hidden fees when buying/leasing a vehicle. 76% distrust car dealerships to be honest about pricing. 84% feel price transparency is lacking at most car dealerships.Mar 10, 2024”