Advice on Towing?

Haseeb

Reaction score
Well as Markos said I caught the bug, I bought another bmw, this one is pretty much just a parts car. It is manual but has not driven in 10 years. The tires are gone and this thing is barely even off the ground. I want to get it towed to my house about an hour away, but what's the cheapest way? I am considering using Triple A and paying the guy some cash under the table. I do have the title for the car if that counts for anything. Here's a picture or 2!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 201
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 200
  • FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 203

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I said the cheapest way is a Uhaul pickup and a car carrier. Don’t use a dolly. I have used AAA for this kind of stuff but you immediately eat up your towing allowance. If you try it upgrade to the gold membership first. Also, be sure to break down on the way out of the sellers driveway.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track..a talented guy with a rollback would be a little extra, but probably necessary..

Check craigslist services near the car. See if anyone is advertising vehicle transport. You could probably get it done for $200 or so.

Trailers can be a scary proposal if you have never driven one. You have to get the vehicle on the car carrier and ratchet down the wheels. I regularly tow trailers but I recognize that they can be intimidating to drive (and backup). The good news is that longer trailers are easier than short trailers. :)

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Haseeb, a 60 mile tow can set you back a couple of hundred dollars but with AAA plus membership (up to 100 miles) which is about $120.00 and you get 4 tows a year!
The only draw back is that you have to be present at the pick up point!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice find, Haseeb. In looking at the pics, I think the biggest challenge will be getting this thing onto the carrying device (carrier or trailer). As you noted, the tires are useless, and I suspect the wheels/brakes are seized. Hopefully no bits are loose underneath (drive shaft, etc). It will be an effort to persuade it onto its conveyance. But a cool find - I would have bought it, too. :D

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last I checked AAA requires current tags on the car before they tow anything anymore for obvious reasons. How you handle this is up to you.
Some folks attach the plate off the wife’s car for the tow.
I routinely ask the driver why he has left a pile of cash sitting on the front seat of his truck.
It has never failed.....

Haseeb

Reaction score
I am gonna have to post more pictures today! You guys might very interested in some of the stuff in here (-: (hint: super old radio)

Haseeb

Reaction score
Haseeb, a 60 mile tow can set you back a couple of hundred dollars but with AAA plus membership (up to 100 miles) which is about $120.00 and you get 4 tows a year!
The only draw back is that you have to be present at the pick up point!
Yoooo that is a very good point lol!

Haseeb

Reaction score
Nice find, Haseeb. In looking at the pics, I think the biggest challenge will be getting this thing onto the carrying device (carrier or trailer). As you noted, the tires are useless, and I suspect the wheels/brakes are seized. Hopefully no bits are loose underneath (drive shaft, etc). It will be an effort to persuade it onto its conveyance. But a cool find - I would have bought it, too. :D
That is important! The muffler was hanging on by little more than hopes and dreams o_O

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am gonna have to post more pictures today! You guys might very interested in some of the stuff in here (-: (hint: super old radio)

It is a US spec Blaupunkt Frankfurt. Use the force! (or text me pics of the car before buying).