Adjustable steering wheel

pmansson

Reaction score
I beleive the >74 cars have adjustable steering columns. There is a handlebar underneath the lower cover plate (in plastic on these cars vs alu on earlier cars).

When I pull the handle all the way back, I then try to pull out the steering wheel, but it doesn´t move. I don´t want to pull with full force.

What is the issue here? Dry, rusty splines or am I missing something in the operation of this feature ??

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am not sure because I have not adjusted in a long time. But I believe if you let the handle hang loose, sort of in the middle position pointing toward the carpet you can pull the steering column in and out.
Let me know how you make out.

Steve

Honolulu

Reaction score
splines not sliding

once upon a time, I ****roached this sliding setup from a wrecked Bavaria, thinking I was going to put it in my car. Well, reality intervened, but at least I've seen the splines.

I expect that either the old grease on the splines has gotten hard and pretty much gummed up the works (like it does on window regulators, guide slides and/or window motors), or there wasn't enough grease there in the first place to keep things from seizing with rust. In either case the solution is the same. Get in there and drip a little PBlaster or Aero-Kroil (or whatever's your favorite penetrating oil) on the splines and let it work. Eventually either of these will loosen things up. You may have to remove the steering column trim (four straight head screws from below) or steering wheel (one 22mm nut behind your hub).

pmansson

Reaction score
When I remove the long plastic coverplate and look underneath, I wonder if it´s just the steering column and steering wheel that pulls out, or if the complete assembly comes along with it?
For one, I don´t see how the horn push function would work if only the steering wheel came outward, but on the other hand, i don´t see how the whole assembly can move, as it is secured by bolts.....

The reason I want to pull it out, is that I have a 60s Nardi wheel mounted, with little offset compared to the early stock wheels, nor does it have a boss option, bringing the whell closer to the chest. Funny thing is that the original, later in my view ugly steering wheel sat in the same position, again with litttle offset.

Bottom line: what comes out? Steering wheel only or the complete assembly, with blinker and wiper stalks and more..

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello Peder !!

What I tell you comes out from my "old" brain !!, but once I tried to install this equipment to a previous coupe , friend of mine.
If I remember correctly after removing the plastic cover , connected to the handle is a kind of guides that allow the relative movement between the columns.
Those guides are adjustable by a screw and a bolt .
I remember completely tight , any move is impossible .
Am I right ???
This was a long time ago and I do not have the parts in front of me .

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi again,

See screw 15.
It adjusts the tightness of the collar.

IMG_5501.jpg

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,
I did undo the bolt 15. It actually has no nut on the other side. Rather the grooves are in the metal of the piece itself.
I then smeared the splines and it finally gave way. Unfortunately, I was already close to the outermost position, but having pulled and pushed the steering wheel several times, I´m now slightly better positioned that when I started.
Thanks to all.

Stefan

Reaction score
I still can't really see how it's design to work :-(

It's the first time I've seen this question about "adjustable steering columns".
Was it an option?

Peder, how much did you extend the length regarding to a column <74?

Cheers!
Stefan

pmansson

Reaction score
It was standard on the 1974 and 1975 cars.
It moves the steering wheel, with the surrounding black cover plates, incl. ignition lock, stalks for wipers, blinkers etc back and forth about 10 cm.