A sunroof question

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Last summer I got information from members on pulling out my sunroof so I ordered new drive cables and plastic guide pieces figuring I might as well replace them while I’ve got everything pulled apart. So far the dealer has been able to get me everything except one drive cable part #54-12-1-815-146 SP which I’m thinking is the right side if BMW part numbers work like American part numbers. My question is are there cable drives available from other cars that might work in our coupes with possibly some modifications ? I believe all the European sunroofs are made by the same company (Golde) so I wonder if parts might work from another car company if not available from BMW ?

Sorry I haven’t posted or even driven my coupe in quite a while……… taking care of my 95 year old quite senile mother has somehow become almost my full time job. ~ John Buchtenkirch

jmackro

Reaction score
My question is are there cable drives available from other cars that might work in our coupes with possibly some modifications ? I believe all the European sunroofs are made by the same company (Golde) so I wonder if parts might work from another car company if not available from BMW ?

Your instincts are correct. Volvo sunroof cables not only fit, but have metal (as opposed to plastic) ends, which make them more durable. I'm a little vague on which year/model Volvo cables will work; I'm going to guess early/mid 1980's. The only modification necessary is shortening the cable.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
try and find em ive looked for years
the real way is the 911 site on ebay they are the same and metal
its the only place to find em
jut query 911 sunroof and there they are
and all the other parts too
like a transmision motors the works

jmackro

Reaction score
I only looked for 35 seconds but are these them?

Someone else sourced the pair that I used 6 or 8 years ago, but I am 99% sure the ones pictured on the eeuroparts site are them.

Volvo made eleventy-billion 240’s. I would get them from the junk yard.

Yes, though only eleventy-million of them came with the sunroof option. Since these parts are all metal, cables from junkyards are fine.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Well I got the Porsche sunroof cables that are supposed to fit the 911 from 1965 thru 1996. They are OEM Porsche part numbers 964 564 143 00 and 964 564 144 00. As you can see in the photo they are different from my BMW one in the center. The attachment hardware at the ends is completely different and the cables are about 4” shorter. I guess I will have to sell them at a loss on eBay.

The part number for the BMW cable I do have now is 54 12 1 815 145. Can anyone tell me with any certainty which side that is for ? I guess my only option is to buy a Volvo cable for the opposite side and see if that can be used after shortening. Thanks for everyone's help. ~ John Buchtenkirch
cab1.JPG
cab2.JPG

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
WHAT I’VE FOUND OUT……… so far.

#1 The 2002 guys have known about the Volvo sunroof cables for quite a while and have been buying them up.

#2 The left (driver’s) Volvo cable is available but good luck on finding a right (passenger’s) side. Same problem as BMW.

#3 There is an unverified report mid eighties Jetta fitting so maybe VW may be a source.

#4 I’m trying to buy a right side 2002 cable from EuroPort Parts but right now their site is down (streaming problems).

#5 The 911 Porsche cables just don’t fit.

#6 I’ve confirmed the cable the BMW dealer got me is for the left (driver’s) side.

#7 So far the Germans seem to be the same as Americans…… right side part numbers are even, left are odd (but unconfirmed).

Any thoughts, helpful or not are appreciated but I’d rather not use used parts. Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW does indeed use odd numbers for left side, but not always. 2002 belt trim is an exception for some reason, probably others too.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I got the Porsche sunroof cables that are supposed to fit the 911 from 1965 thru 1996. They are OEM Porsche part numbers 964 564 143 00 and 964 564 144 00. As you can see in the photo they are different from my BMW one in the center. The attachment hardware at the ends is completely different and the cables are about 4” shorter. I guess I will have to sell them at a loss on eBay.

The part number for the BMW cable I do have now is 54 12 1 815 145. Can anyone tell me with any certainty which side that is for ? I guess my only option is to buy a Volvo cable for the opposite side and see if that can be used after shortening. Thanks for everyone's help. ~ John Buchtenkirch
View attachment 48905 View attachment 48906
I see at least two differences between the 911 cables and the BMW cable. That said, and being a confirmed tinkerer, It seems one could use the parts from the 911 piece and attach a longer cable in the proper orientation.?. :confused: Perhaps not necessary if Volvo or VW parts are equally available...

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
SUNROOF UPDATE, some good progress plus more questions

Well I finally found a pair of sunroof cables that work in our coupes. VW cables in eBay auction #282771027405 do work in my 72 coupe. Little Franky & myself installed them and opened & closed the sunroof dozens of times but the plated L bracket that attaches the cable to the roof kept bending forward. The sheet metal tabs that hold the retaining clip for the L bracket kept bending so I reinforced the area with some weld tacks and strips. I thought lifting the back corners of the sunroof was too hard so after careful investigation I noticed there was a slight difference between the coupe and VW L brackets so I swapped in the coupe brackets and now the roof slides and lifts normally. The felt is missing on the underside rear corners of the sunroof so I have some coming from McMaster-Carr on Monday to replace it. I also changed the sunroof drive gear (eBay #152345302732) because mine was pretty bad.

My question are what does the pivoting lever do in the welding repair photo ?

And the felt in the corners keeps the roof from banging when moving down, what about when it swings upward ? Maybe there’s missing felt pieces glued to the underside of the roof skin ? THANKS ~ John Buchtenkirch
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00014.JPG

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
My coupe has a manual sunroof. In photo one you can see how the strip I welded in keeps the L bracket from moving in the direction of the arrow I marked on the retaining clip. The second photo shows what you will likely see if the L bracket has swung forward on your car because it’s pretty hard to see anything above the headliner. Finally I forgot to mention I shortened the VW cables 2 ¾” to make them the exact coupe length but I’m not sure it needed to be done. ~ John Buchtenkirch

AR1.JPG
DSC00008.JPG
AR2.JPG

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I dropped this message in the other section but might be it will be worth to come here:

It looks like VW T1 and Beetle were using the same carriage as for BMW E3/E9.

It would be interesting to know which length it should be as there are replacement parts for VW:

E.g.
Manufacturer
Part number004753

View attachment 158165

View attachment 158163

Simon_D

Reaction score

View attachment 48905 View attachment 48906
On this photo- just for future reference I’m wondering is the answer here that you have in the middle the Bmw manual sunroof cable, whereas the 911 cables are for the electric sunroof. I say that because I’m sure the electric ones are shorter and the end pieces face forwards not rearwards as the manual ‘pushes’ the sunroof open from the front, whereas the electric ‘pulls’ the sunroof open from the rear.