A little concerned

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
At first I was really excited to see that the latest compost bin liners I bought were TÜV approved!
IMG_2606.jpg

But then on closer inspection, I noticed it was TÜV Austria's approval, not TÜV Germany's.
IMG_2608.jpg

Now I'm a bit worried about how long the bags will stand up to even mild citrus like meyer lemons.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Being personally connected with the thoughts behind this; let us know how they hold up. Someone has to try them....
We use similar ones in our home, small, thin ones in the kitchen that are full in 2-3 days, which then get carried outside. I always fear the bottom ripping open, and it's goey contents plummeting all over my kitchen floor. They always hold up.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for posting about these. I just ordered some and look forward to reducing the "hefty bag plastic" going to land fill.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What an odd subject (but a great one) for a car forum.

We use these...

IMG_0002.JPG

Also TUV Austria. Available from Amazon.

Our recycling and refuse company provides an under sink container for the bag/garbage.

IMG_0001.JPG

The container also makes it easy to transport the bag to the big food/yard waste container outside without the fear that Erik mentions. The city collects the contents of the big container and makes mulch for the city parks.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I may be shunned by the Greens or cast into the outer darkness by the Tesla lovers. But I have not purchased a box of supermarket kitchen trash bags in decades, probably since 1978. At the supermarket I put the supermarket paper bags into the supermarket plastic. I fold them up when I get home and place one in the kitchen trash container as needed.

Both bags already exist. I am "reusing" them in a manner I feel is environmently responsible. So there it is. Have at me.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well my lame attempt at a joke (Austrian TÜV standards are inherently inferior to German TÜV ones - and don't get me started on the Swiss!) has started a bit of a discussion. I like it!

We've been doing curbside composting for a long time here. Originally it was just yard waste, but they added food waste a number of years ago. We also have a plastic compost bin that we keep under the kitchen sink, similar to the one Dick references above. I carry the whole thing out to the compost container and then drop the bag in too. Sometimes liquid will have seeped through the bag, so this prevents drips and bags breaking.

They changed our waste pickup schedule when they introduced food waste composting. Previously they had picked up trash, recyclables and compost every week. After the change they went to every other week for trash pickup, but kept compost and recycling weekly. We refer to trash weeks as "garbage garbage day." "Is tomorrow garbage garbage day?" "No, just garbage day."

We have two different composting streams: residential and business. Residential compost (food and yard debris) is made into compost. Business compost is supposed to be food only, and it's usually made into gas (methane burned for energy or converted into LNG for fleet vehicles) and fertilizer. I suppose some could argue that converting it to gas isn't very green, but the decomposition of those materials in the landfill would produce methane anyway. This way it's at least captured and put to use.