Mcflury

Reaction score
Did someone here buy it for 60000 I wanted to bid but was 45000 short
it is a good looking car

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold for 60K USD

If you sign into the mecum site, you can see the prices.
The price of lot F53, the Baikal blue car, was 60k. A good result, but not 110K. Was there another car that went for 110K?

An Alfa Romeo Montreal wnet for 99K at Gooding, which I would call stupid money. I saw the car, and it was nice, but 100K for that?? And a CS is only 60K?
Scott

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hmnn....between this and the Russo and Steele $68.5k sale at Russo & Steele...maybe I better buy another coupe to restore now...before the genie is completely out of the bottle.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
And... an Autozone "Gold" battery with non-recessed terminals threatening to unleash a shower of fireworks when that positive terminal finally kisses the hood.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the radio and that they left the side markers. Do I see the holes under the rear bumper? Rear belts came from my '64 Chevy Impala.

Stefan

Reaction score
Something tells me that the seller is/was a frequent member of this forum :)
But 60K USD looks to be a fair price for seller/buyer (though reservations for the few photos) or?

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw the Mecum car on on Wed at the preview. It wasn't perfect but it was a nicely presented car with some details that needed to be sorted.

Pros
- The paint was very nice, a few minor prep issues here and there but overall well done.
- The interior was also well done, notice the tightness of the leather in the back seat.
- Appeared to be a well cared for car

Cons
- Under dash pad on drivers side was missing
- Some trim pieces a little worn or missing

I thought it would go for $35k - $38k, well sold at $60k!

There was also a nice Malaga 72 or 73 Tii at Mecum. Excellent paint , original no snorkle front cross member, clean interior had redone door panels. Auction estimate was $35k to $45k, was bid to $34k and a no sale. Nice small bumper Tii's seem to be trading in the high 20's so this seemed like a good offer.

While Monterey always seem to be the high water mark for prices during the year, I'm happy to see coupes valuations on the rise.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it has snorkel to the right of where the rad mounts, it has been in a front end accident or is a counterfeit tii.

uwulff

Reaction score
DD13_r102_01.jpg

The Don Davis Collection

27 April 2013

Lot 107

1974 BMW 3.0 CS

Sold for $110,000

• Chassis no. 4310374

250 bhp, 3,430 cc inline SOHC six-cylinder engine, five-speed manual transmission, independent coil-over-strut front suspension, independent coil spring semi-trailing arm rear suspension, and four-wheel power hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 103.3 in.

• Iconic BMW coupe
  • Upgraded powertrain and suspension
  • Superbly improved tour car

In factory nomenclature, “E9,” the BMW 3.0 CS Coupe, was a Karmann-built two-door based on the New Class 2000CS. Enlarged to accommodate the M30 engine from the E3 sedan, it had appeared first in 2.8-liter guise. In all, 4,455 were built from 1971 to 1974. A 3.0 CSL special homologation version for the European Touring Car Championship competition enhanced BMW’s reputation as a manufacturer of sporting automobiles.

This car received an extensive cosmetic and mechanical restoration at La Jolla Independent BMW in California, in 2010. At that time, many performance and convenience upgrades were undertaken, including the installation of a rebuilt 3.5-liter engine, a new BMW 265 five-speed transmission, a limited slip differential, and a major suspension rebuild. The engine has a new head and a completely rebuilt bottom end with new pistons. The suspension was rebuilt with Carl Nelson lowering springs, Suspension Techniques sway bars, new control arms, and new Bilstein shock absorbers.

A BMW E30 electric sunroof was retrofitted, along with Euro bumpers, a 3.0 CSL front air dam, and 5-Series window motors. The air conditioning was upgraded to a Sanden compressor and converted to R-134a refrigerant. In the process, all body seals and gaskets were replaced, the body meticulously prepped and painted in a handsome deep grey metallic.

Convenience upgrades include a Nardi steering wheel, a quartz clock conversion, a Becker Europa AM/FM stereo radio modified for iPod and satellite radio operation, and the installation of a hidden Garmin Zumo 665 GPS with Bluetooth and weather function. The tan leather interior was restored by Juan Ortiz, of Ortiz Auto Trim in Costa Mesa. The Alpina turbine-style wheels carry Sumitomo P225/50R16 blackwall radial tires.

Having covered fewer than 1,000 miles since the restoration, the car is in exceptional condition, showing just minor evidence of recent use. Presenting a stunning appearance, it demonstrates excellent performance, due to its upgraded drivetrain, and modern convenience, a result of its high-tech electronics and modifications. Ideal for touring, it is equally enjoyable in town or the city.