73 5 speed e9 blue BAT

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is this car owned by someone on the forum? I see it is in HI, and my user map tells me there are at least (6) members on the islands. I wonder how many e9s there are in Hawaii.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Blue gas tank? Weird patching in the spare tire well. Is that duct tape?

Interesting air cleaner.

Spray bombed the engine compartment? Look at that wiper motor!

Front floors patched.

"Recent servicing included an oil change, return to a points-type ignition..." Wonder why.

Lord, why repaint and keep those side markers, I'll never know.

Not bad #3 car though. I'd say bid to $45k. Will be surprised if it goes higher.

That interior is pretty dang nice though.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
$650 for a distributor?

$650 for a core M30 motor?

Sheesh, Korman sure knows how to goudge.

Was this an automatic? Just curious about the indentations on the grab rail under the instrument gauges.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What the heck is this? Looks disconnected.

1973_bmw_3-0cs_1537421771f9f98764daDSC_0031.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this car owned by someone on the forum? I see it is in HI, and my user map tells me there are at least (6) members on the islands. I wonder how many e9s there are in Hawaii.

Not enough time in the day. I’m only 10 miles away. :D

5E26E0AA-203A-4180-BE78-831A3F3C3066.png

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you in Kahului? I used to work there at the local Apple dealer and I lived in Kihei for a number of years. I never saw that '73 3.0, or any other E9 than the one I bought for that matter. At least Kihei is the dry side of the island so there's less rain and salty air off the ocean.
If I remember correctly, the cost to ship my 2800cs to the West Coast was about $1200 three years ago with an additional $400 to get it to Austin.

Ian

Reactions: Rek

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you in Kahului? I used to work there at the local Apple dealer and I lived in Kihei for a number of years. I never saw that '73 3.0, or any other E9 than the one I bought for that matter. At least Kihei is the dry side of the island so there's less rain and salty air off the ocean.
If I remember correctly, the cost to ship my 2800cs to the West Coast was about $1200 three years ago with an additional $400 to get it to Austin.

Ian

I was at the airport. Sadly I’m at work in Seattle now.

My wife was asking if the salty air affected the cars. Certainly not like the midwest. What are your thoughts?

$1,600 to a port isn’t bad at all IMO. That’s way cheaper than road rates.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure, salty air can be very bad for everything that corrodes. When we lived in Honolulu, it was on the slopes of Diamond Head and the prevailing wind was off the ocean bringing tiny droplets of salt spray. The aluminum window screens were crumbling with corrosion. If you lived near the ocean, I'd expect that older cars would suffer greatly. Newer cars have much better rust proofing. My 940 Volvo had lived on the island for a number of years before I bought her and I'm glad she was zinc plated. There was even a ding to the rocker panel that had lost paint, but there was no rust. However, I did have rust issues with one of the window frames in the door and the area under the hinges for the rear hatch rusted through causing a rain leak after 100K miles in my care. She also had an intermittent issue with the knock sensor not being seen, and then an intermittent no start problem that I realized was due to corrosion at the wiring harness connections in the ECU, probably due to years of living in Hawaii.
Kihei is on the dry side of the island, and the breeze mostly goes out to sea, meaning it's dusty, but not salty. Living up country on Haleakala's slopes in Haiku or Kula means you are above the salty air, though it does rain more, so there's that. Almost no one has garage so most cars get some exposure.
At one time I was looking for a BMW donor for various reasons and I could have gotten an early 3 series for free, but it was so rusty after sitting in the yard for years that when I opened the door, there was a pile of rust in a little cone sitting on the threshold. I passed. It was very bad. The owner eventually had to pay to have it towed away.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today's the day this auction is up. I just spent some time reading through the comments. Seems like kind of a rough crowd. I'll be watching with curiosity.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today's the day this auction is up. I just spent some time reading through the comments. Seems like kind of a rough crowd. I'll be watching with curiosity.

Agreed! The seller didn’t strike me as particularly arrogant. It’s the same peanut gallery of “market analysts” on every auction, many of whom don’t own an e9. While they might claim to be searching for one, dropping a $30K bid before the reserve is met doesn’t make you a potential buyer either. :D

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What scared most folks was that it came from... CO? Then VT? Now HI, where shipping is a PITA.

Overspray on the wiper motor and gas tank is just sloppy. Ditto that quickie floor patch.

$45k tops and then with the buyer fee and shipping?

Seller to me came across a bit short.

I don't care who's a serious buyer or not asking the questions; serious buyers want any questions answered regardless Otherwise it comes across as hiding shit .

I'm a seller often... Ask me anything. Why should I care unless I'm being evasive.

My $0.02