73 3.0CSi Polaris/blue velour For Sale, excellent Zero Rust Euro coupe

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
See my website for lots of pics and email me at [email protected] for more info. Original Italian delivery car, then on to CA before coming to Colorado nine years ago. Previous owner treated the car to a $10k+ bare metal refinish, upholstery is excellent and could easily be mistaken for new original. Fabric looks correct but if you prefer leather I can provide another set of seats in new leather for another 3-4 grand. Priced at current market for $38,900 pretty darn firm. In the hierarchy of coupe collecting the CSi is second only to the CSL for collectability, sure to appreciate as you enjoy driving it.

Come to Colorado and test drive it, no disappointments here. Engine is strong, trans shifts smoothly, tracks great and handles wonderfully on nearly new Bridgestone Turanza tires. Carries my structural rust free guarantee: if rust sufficient to affect the safety of the driver or passengers afflicts the car I will buy it back less any transport fees. Click on the link, and watch as a slide show if the pics don't come up any other way. A truly rust free European gem. No A/C or sunroof, a pure drivers car. Even has an original Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM-FM radio in an original Blaupunkt NOS radio mounting system. Just a couple more things to do like fitting brand new rear bumperettes.

http://www.coupeguy.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14905044

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If coupe has "zero rust", why would you limit your guarantee to "structural" rust?
now Ed ... we are talking about coupes - aren't we. so i presume that is a rhetorical question. i have been all over my coupe, which i thought was rust free ... i couldn't find any ... my mechanic couldn't find any. well, it just depends on how long you look on a coupe. i found a tiny little surface rust up under the rear parcel shelf when i was installing some speakers. am i surprised? - no. am i disappointed - no. would i want to go thru the headache of reversing a sale - no, because we all know how long it takes to find a no structural rust coupe. and when you do, you jump for you.

a structural rust guarantee is worth something. in case you're wondering, yes, i bought my coupe from coupeguy and i got a car that was as described. and i looked at about 25 coupes over the past 5 years without buying one.

YMMV ...
scott

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's nothing to suggest this car has rust

I think it looks really good. I've seen really good looking E9's full of problems and ones that checked out clean as a whistle (no body filler, no detectable rust, etc).

When a car is sold "as is," the seller can say anything they want and the buyer can assume anything as well ... and it makes little difference because the car is what it is.

The only thing that makes sense, if one is interested in this car, is to have it checked out by an unbiased E9 expert. The car is not expensive given what E9's are going for these days.

If I had not just bought a rust free, clean E9 and were not committed to an extensive mechanical restoration ... I'd likely fly out to Co to see this one.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
now Ed ... we are talking about coupes - aren't we. so i presume that is a rhetorical question. i have been all over my coupe, which i thought was rust free ... i couldn't find any ... my mechanic couldn't find any. well, it just depends on how long you look on a coupe. i found a tiny little surface rust up under the rear parcel shelf when i was installing some speakers. am i surprised? - no. am i disappointed - no. would i want to go thru the headache of reversing a sale - no, because we all know how long it takes to find a no structural rust coupe. and when you do, you jump for you.

a structural rust guarantee is worth something. in case you're wondering, yes, i bought my coupe from coupeguy and i got a car that was as described. and i looked at about 25 coupes over the past 5 years without buying one.

YMMV ...
scott

Scott-

Not rhetorical. I'm just not into having to parse words and am passionate about stating actual accurate conditions of vehicles. As you imply, finding an e9 coupe with zero rust is almost impossible. If this is one of those, then the car is underpriced. If you want to allow this type of poetic license on vehicle description, then you would have to describe high water mark examples (not necessarily impeccably restored) as having "less than zero rust". That doesn't make sense to me.

In my opinion, "almost no rust" vehicles should be presented by photographically documenting the worst case surface rust points on the car describing them as such. Show photos using a boroscope in the rockers at pillar bases, peeled back carpets, underneath dashes, wheel well boxes, close ups of repaired/restored areas etc... Certainly, you would have been comforted if your under parcel shelf was described as the worst point on the whole car. That, to me, sets a standard, and speaks volumes.

My background is technical in nature and when I tell my customers "zero", I put my name on the line and take it seriously. I realize I may be nit-picking to some, but this is where I draw the line. Tell me to take a hike, and I'll understand, but the next person to own my car will know where all the sins are hidden before they buy it. That's just me.

With that said, I am not implying that the car is not as advertised. I hope it finds a happy home.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i took a look thru the pix of this coupe. wouldn't work for me unless i put a/c in it. too dang hot in atlanta for a coupe w/o a/c. pics of the trunk look extremely good - tools are a little rough, but that easy to fix.

the pics of the interior are a little out of focus / grainy ... probably not enough light for the digital camera to focus. wood dash could use a little of Bela's work (right side has a little oxidation). needs to have the top dash panel fixed. this car doesn't look like it has been overly cleaned, polished and primped - that's a positive comment ... you are getting a very honest presentation. the back of the firewall is pristine - which proves no lingering rust on the firewall / water leaks.

this looks like a solid coupe - not perfect or dressed up to hide things - the underside shows some raw metal and peeling paint / undercoating ... but what you aren't seeing is a lot of rust or covered up rust. the fit of the body panels looks pretty even. i think this represents a good buy. if you are in the market - go look at this car - look at the pix and ask a few others opinion ... i have no vested interest, just an opinion from looking the pics over ... nothing scares me and doesn't leave me wondering like many other coupes we have seen recently. is it a restored show car or concours car - in a word, no. looks like a good driver value in relation to the current market - a car that you can spend some time with and get to the condition you want, without having to spend untold amounts to remediate rust.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, photos are not what they could be. Like all coupes, rockers need to be examined closely. Unless I missed it, only the tip of left side is shown pic (#63) and it appears it is not without signs of tin worm. Covers off, focused, and both sides, would be more comforting. Certainly not enough to dissuade a potential buyer from investigating further.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I said , good enough to

Motivate a serious buyer to get it PPI'd or fly out to see it in person.

Bit surprised it hasn't sold already

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, photos are not what they could be. Like all coupes, rockers need to be examined closely. Unless I missed it, only the tip of left side is shown pic (#63) and it appears it is not without signs of tin worm. Covers off, focused, and both sides, would be more comforting. Certainly not enough to dissuade a potential buyer from investigating further.

Do you buy 40+ year old cars for forty grand without seeing them yourself? I know I don't. Anyone is welcome to come look at, drive it or even partially dissemble the car for themselves, in fact I would prefer that happen. I don't really understand what you have to gain by introducing doubt in potential buyers minds, Ed, is it something personal??

The entire car was taken down to bare metal in 09 and any rust repaired, and there was none to repair that required anything like panel replacement. I know the people at the body shop it was done at and I am getting pics of the car in bare metal during the restoration process shortly and will post them on my website. You can easily see the fresh looking Polaris paint thru the jack holes even in the pics and any actual rust holes thru the rockers would be considered structural rust to me and would either be correctly repaired or I would not offer the warranty.

Why do I only cover structural rust? Because of people like yourself who consider that a tiny bit of surface rust constitutes a rusty car. Very strange in someone from CT where a rusty car is more common than not. I appreciate support from coupers I know like rsporsche and bfeng who as far as I know have nothing to gain by their support. Thanks guys.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, nothing personal. Again, what troubles me is that you call this a "zero rust" coupe. I clearly stated my reasons for taking exception to such a description. If your definition of "zero rust" means "some surface rust", then so be it. I guess we're stuck on semantics. So, aside for some minor surface rust, your coupe looks great!

And you're right, here in CT we know rust very well and all about it's insidious ability to hide deep within. Perhaps I am overly paranoid about rust and coupes.

Good luck!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only truely rust free coupe

is one that has been taking completely apart and put back together (Sven's coupe, Duane Swords Alpina, etc.). Coupes like that would be convervatively priced at $60k

John

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 in my shop now- $80k is a good number with fresh engine.
Sven's car is easily over $100k to duplicate.
Please don't mention this to Sven- :))

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 in my shop now- $80k is a good number with fresh engine.
Sven's car is easily over $100k to duplicate.
Please don't mention this to Sven- :))

What is the shop's address, any dogs or alarms?