'73 3.0cs 30 year restoration

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All - Sharing the start and progress on a full restoration, started by a previous owner over 30 years ago. The car was originally taken off the rood in 1988, still in pretty good shape to undergo a restoration. Over years, the previous owner stripped it down, bought up new parts, and made a fair amount of progress on the chassis and subframes, but ultimately stalled and then halted a number of years ago.

Flash forward to earlier this year, I picked up the car, fully disassembled, dirty and looking a little scary, but actually in pretty great shape with zero rust having been stored inside and not driven since the 80s. Also benefited from a larger collection of NOS parts purchased in period by the previous owner, whom worked at a BMW dealership

So far, the car has been stripped back down to metal, seems sealed, surface prepped, interior surfaces painted, and just about ready for exterior paint. Engine is also headed off to Korman shortly.

The plan is a mostly stock full restoration with some minor upgrades - CSL air damn, triple webers w/alpina box, headers, 16"alpina wheels, and some other minor stuff.

Here is how it was at purchase:
IMG_6130.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpg
    IMG_6195.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_6196.jpg
    IMG_6196.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 676

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
And step one complete - back to metal, then all lower seams filled with seam sealer

Attachments

• IMG_4907.JPG
    IMG_4907.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_4913.JPG
    IMG_4913.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_4935.JPG
    IMG_4935.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 672

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
First bits of paint - inside/underside of doors, trunk and hood. Color is Nachtblau with a saddle interior

Attachments

• IMG_4918.JPG
    IMG_4918.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that's exciting, you must be pretty jazzed about that car...

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i hope you have "some" experience with E9.... ? i always found it difficult mounting things if i didn't demount them myself..... ofcourse you have now the help of internet and sure this site ..... Wish you good luck with the build !

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
i hope you have "some" experience with E9.... ? i always found it difficult mounting things if i didn't demount them myself..... ofcourse you have now the help of internet and sure this site ..... Wish you good luck with the build !

Zero direct experience with E9s, so yes, this is going to be an interesting puzzle to put back together. Especially since it was taken apart many years ago and moved locations a few times. No saying that all the parts are even there, but it appears they mostly are with doubles of a lot of parts. Luckily, I have the support of some folks that do know these cars, but I am also looking to buy another E9 driver to help model it after. Have a couple that I am looking at now.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow - pretty significant progress in short order. I am envious of your velocity. Looking good!

I have an incomplete car, too (bought that way). Some things are still attached - others not attached (mostly missing). It always amazes me how much value is in being the one that took something apart. But with good questions and photos, this forum is an amazing group of people - an invaluable resource! (not me, but others) :D

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
In Arlington - we actually met at cars and coffee and at Tom’s house several weeks back. Just now finally got activate on the site here due to an email issue Dan was having.

Ah yes, thanks for making the connection. Glad to see you found us here.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quick Update:

Engine is with Korman for a total overhaul. Complete nearly factory rebuild with slightly higher compression, triple weber setup with Daddywad repro Alpina intake box, and eventually some headers.

Wood is all restored now and looking good (pics soon). Deciding what to do with my vintage wood nardi wheel - refinish or replace

Working on matching the saddle leather color to get the new interior underway, but so far having a little difficulty finding a match from the typical suppliers. GAHH is going to see what they can do with a sample to match the NOS door cards/map pockets.

Paint is almost complete, then next step will be sitting it back down on the new subframes, suspension and CoupeKing 16" Alpina repros to have a roller.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aaaaah, did you happen to be a project manager in a previous life? Things are going incredibly fast...

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Aaaaah, did you happen to be a project manager in a previous life? Things are going incredibly fast...

To be fair, much of the progress occurred before the thread was even posted, and it is a joint project with a friend, so have help. That said, at 7 months in, feels slow to me. Was hoping to be almost done by now, but I guess I am overly optimistic.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
After a pretty long hiatus, project is making progress again and should now be coming together

• Restored subframes are back on with new suspension (Carl Nelson springs) and CK "Alpina" wheels
  • Korman just finished up the engine. Was built to better than new with upped compression and Daddywad reproduction Alpina triple carb setup.
  • New GAHH leather interior completed
  • Dash restoration completed
  • Boatloads of parts in and ready to start going on the car
  • Will be starting reassembly in the next few weeks (hopefully)

Attachments

• IMG_8495.JPG
    IMG_8495.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_8497.JPG
    IMG_8497.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_8807.jpg
    IMG_8807.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_8808.jpg
    IMG_8808.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 342
  • JUCKET 001.JPG
    JUCKET 001.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 322
  • JUCKET 002.JPG
    JUCKET 002.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 332
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 342
  • P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 358
  • P1010031.JPG
    P1010031.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 320

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful. If those are soft mount/misab carb to manifold gaskets I suggest getting rid of them now in favor of plain gaskets to avoid the inevitable vacuum leaks. Not needed on an inline 6.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t forget that huh need rubber gaskets between the carb elbows and the Alpina box. I used Viton.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful. If those are soft mount/misab carb to manifold gaskets I suggest getting rid of them now in favor of plain gaskets to avoid the inevitable vacuum leaks. Not needed on an inline 6.

So it is a soft mount, which followed the strong recommendation from Korman. Is the air leak something that happens over time as the rubber breaks down, or something people see immediately?

JamesE30

Reaction score
Woah, cool project! Look forward to seeing it all come together. That engine is looking quite similar to mine ;)