71 2800 3.3 w/triple webers on BAT

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As the guy who started the snarky comments about the underhood gauges, I'm feeling a bit guilty; I've certainly put some odd add-ons in my cars, especially in my younger days. I can see how it would be useful to monitor AFR and fuel pressure while working on the engine. And I agree that the underhood gauges on the BaT car are a minor issue - easily removable if they bother the next owner. But somehow, they just stuck me as funny!

Actually, I thought it was funny too, particularly given the choice of gauges.

I wonder if Boonies has had a look at this baby. Maybe he inspected it and it looks great and he doesn't want to advertise this until he wins the auction.

MotoCarlo

Reaction score
My approach to buying a sports car has always been to strike the deal, then have the car checked out. (I have had many.) And that is 99% of the way it goes when I sell. In fact I prefer it that way. I want the buyer to know exactly what he/she is getting. And by the time I sell the car, it is well sorted out. So I am kind of patting myself on the back. :)
Except for BAT.
The price is not determined until the final moment. So if you get a PPI and plan to spend $35 - $38k, then the bidding goes to $45.... just a waste of time and money.
If the price were set at $38k as usually is the case, and the PPI can out negative at least you dodged the bullet on iffy car . Worth the $500 ppi.
But not on BAT.
If you see a car on Ebay, you can always negotiate with the seller aside from Ebay or make an offer if it does not sell via Ebay pendant on an inspection. Most sellers retain the option to end the auction early.
Not on BAT.
So BAT seem to be a really good forum for seeing lots of very cool cars. I enjoy the daily lap around the site. And I might sell a car there one day. But I doubt I will ever buy one.

jmackro

Reaction score
Except for BAT. The price is not determined until the final moment. So if you get a PPI and plan to spend $35 - $38k, then the bidding goes to $45.... just a waste of time and money. If the price were set at $38k as usually is the case, and the PPI can out negative at least you dodged the bullet on iffy car . Worth the $500 ppi. But not on BAT.

I'm sorry, I missed your point the first time around. I thought you were commenting on the cars being located far away, so you couldn't personally inspect them.

But sure, given that BaT is an auction, you have to hope it doesn't exceed your price range after you pay for the PPI. That problem exists with every auction, though at least you can inspect the car beforehand when you attend an auction in-person. However, a quick look-over on the auction field can still can lead to unpleasant surprises, since you can't put it on a lift or go for a test drive.

restart

Reaction score
Description for BMW Other 1971
Looking for a strong running coupe in really great shape? This coupe has a Bavarian Engine Ex.

motor that's been ported,polished and balanced also added a headercraft header and a 280 degree

cam. A very free flowing exhaust that sounds as powerful as the car is along with a five speed

transmission- electronic ignition- Mallory racing coil - 4 row radiator w/ fan clutch and electric

fan running cool in the hottest weather. Sitting on Suspension techniques sport springs and

Bilstein sport shocks the car is about 1.5 inches lower which gives the car better handling and

a more aggressive look in it's stance. The battery has been moved to the trunk and astrut brace

installed between the shock towers. Tires are Dunlops 205/55/ZR16 front--225/55/ZR16 rear

mounted on 3 piece Hayashi rims that look right for this car. Brakes, steering are excellent.

It has a/c and worked when I had it 15 years ago from California where it lived and purchased at

Mill Valley Imports in 1971. The interior is in very nice condition with new leather front seat

and original back seat in beautiful shape. The front leather was from World Upholstery and isn't

a perfect match in color. All gauges work- clock needs a fuse - I didn't bother to replace it because

I have a kill switch and that stops the clock anyway. The a/c is all there and worked but not now-I

believe there's a leak. I rarely use the car - in 15 years I've put maybe 3 thousand miles of driving.

The paint was done 14years ago- total strip with German paint - overall looks good but has some

issues that aren't so obvious. Windows work- glass, carpet(blue) most of the bright work very good

to excellent. This car will only keep going up and if you're looking to buy one this may be the

driver you want. No rust issues that I see-thanks for looking.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was on eBay in 2016 in PA, I wonder how long dealer had it. Fairly strong money but not out of line most likely.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, i was a bidder on this one after going out to take a look at it, but it went for some strong money, and from discussing with the owner of the dealership I suspect it went farther than he anticipated too. Good for him and for the buyer, it is really nice shape. I am still looking...

Curious after you looked at it, what was your assessment? Solid? Lipstick'd pig?

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really solid car, no real rust issues. I looked under the front fenders, inside the trunk, underside, the corners of the cabin and the rear shock tubes, all looked very solid. Also under the carpet was good.

The engine ran very strong, good cold start-up and test drive was good as well. There was an issue with the passenger seat, not sure what, but I could not belt in (seat pulled up) and I am average height and weight so not sure what was going on there.

Worst was the paint. There were a number of places where the paint was flat compared to surrounding areas. The passenger side door, front hood surround and a few other places. The dealer said paint from the belt line down would clean it up, but suspect it would take a full repaint for me to have been happy with it.

That said, I was in the mix...until I wasn’t. It just got to be too much for the work that was still needed, but would like to have had it in my garage.

I am in the market, so please share any leads!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really solid car, no real rust issues. I looked under the front fenders, inside the trunk, underside, the corners of the cabin and the rear shock tubes, all looked very solid. Also under the carpet was good.

The engine ran very strong, good cold start-up and test drive was good as well. There was an issue with the passenger seat, not sure what, but I could not belt in (seat pulled up) and I am average height and weight so not sure what was going on there.

Worst was the paint. There were a number of places where the paint was flat compared to surrounding areas. The passenger side door, front hood surround and a few other places. The dealer said paint from the belt line down would clean it up, but suspect it would take a full repaint for me to have been happy with it.

That said, I was in the mix...until I wasn’t. It just got to be too much for the work that was still needed, but would like to have had it in my garage.

I am in the market, so please share any leads!

@Boonies,

Check with @CSteve. I think he may know of another vehicle in the PA area that may be for sale. I don’t think it is listed.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also put in a WTB ad in the Classified/Cars section on EXACTLY what you want (stick/auto/slicktop/sunroof/color combos/etc.) and your budget. We can all be on the lookout for you.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also put in a WTB ad in the Classified/Cars section on EXACTLY what you want (stick/auto/slicktop/sunroof/color combos/etc.) and your budget. We can all be on the lookout for you.

Surprisingly almost nobody does this???!!!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

It appears that the reserve was $40k. At that, the dealer that sold it was likely making good money. So if you are looking for a car that is priced at the market, that probably wasn't the one since it sold for $12k over the dealer's reserve.

That isn't always the consideration when buying a collector car, however. They come up for sale seldom. An auction brings out the "got to have it" guys. And then there is that old expression that applies to these cars that are appreciating... "You can't pay too much...but you can buy one too early"