'70's car colors

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
seeing the turkis vs. taiga discussion along with other rare favorite colors. one of my favorites is ceylon. BMW 008 ceylon gold metallic has a range of color from a really nice gold to more of a brown gold or a brass gold. then there is the porsche gold metallic from the same era ... interesting enough it is color 088

the first is a very original coupe and my understanding is original paint

ceylon - ccr 2.JPG

then some others - i know it is light dependent, more of the brown gold

ceylon - bb2.jpeg

ceylon 2002.jpg

then there is the 911s from the period
71 911s - gold.jpg

ceylon - original color.jpg

there is a lot of similarity of the 911 gold and the coupe at the top, the 911 is a little more yellow, but definitely doesn't have the brown tinge that some ceylon cars have. the mustang below is decidedly more orange of a gold ... but most of the mustangs of that period are more brown-golds.

mustang - BAT - gold.jpg

scottd

Reaction score
Agreed re browns coming back. I see a lot of new cars in some variation of brown. Thankfully none of them are Porsche's Sepia from the 70s. Not one of my favorites. I do like the Ceylon below, and the gold on longhood 911s is really nice. Also, some of the beiges appears to be popular again - like the 991 below. My first car was a sand beige (not sure what it was truly called) 67 beetle.

Scott

911_1.jpg

anniversary-911-car.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have seen different copper / bronze / rust colors as well. the porsche beige below is called 'chalk' it is really nice. there is a GT3 in that color at the local dealer and its gorgeous. i drove a boxster s in that color as a loaner while the 911 was in the shop and the color shows off the body shape well. the downside is that its a special color that add 3150 bucks to your car. porsche doesn't have any browns in the 911 offerings. there are 2 different browns for panamera though. i will stay away from basic brown ... bronze isn't too bad.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here's another period porsche color not as bright as turkis and a little more complex. (metallic blue 324)
Metallicblue324my72500.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My fave Porsche color is Petrol Blue, it takes on different hues depending on the light, all nice.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think metallic brown has always been with us
I had an 86 Subaru and an 86 Mercedes that were forms of metallic brown, didn't really like either color
The CS color on the other hand is nice, it is really to light and bright to be called a brown

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My fave Porsche color is Petrol Blue, it takes on different hues depending on the light, all nice.
kind of a blue green -
porsche1978petrolblue.jpg

1978 Porsche Petrol Blue paint
This blue automotive paint color is most commonly known as Petrol Blue. The color formulation has been used between 1978 and 1980, primarily by Porsche. See the full detailed list below.

The short model/year code for this paint in 1978, is 376.

Example of 1978 Porsche Petrol Blue

See more information on 1978 Porsche Petrol Blue
or See all paints named "Petrol Blue" or "Petrol"
See other Blue 1978 Porsche paint shades
or See all Blue Porsche paint shades

Examples of paint code 1978 Porsche Petrol Blue (click on image for larger/detailed view)

Usage list 1978 Porsche Petrol Blue paint (more information)
year make model code paint name comment
1978 Porsche
376 Petrol Blue
1979 Porsche
376 Petrol Blue
1980 Porsche
376 Petrol Blue also code LM5V

Paint Manufacturer Codes
PPG/Ditzler : 15202
Dupont : 45647
Martin Senour : 22520
Sherwin Williams : 9197
Glasurit : POR-376
Autocolor : 9526B

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
similar to malaga ... early 70's jaguar regency red. i had a friend who had an e-type this color. always loved it. my first 2002 was malaga. regency is a red wine color. always thought it would look good on a coupe as it shows the lines well

jaguarety-1397696623-2092.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
similar to malaga ... early 70's jaguar regency red. i had a friend who had an e-type this color. always loved it. my first 2002 was malaga. regency is a red wine color. always thought it would look good on a coupe as it shows the lines well

That color kind of looks like Granada. My car is in my driveway so I've been staring at it more. The color is starting to grow on me. Taiga, Turkis, and Colorado are still calling my name however...

16754907217_78076bb33f_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]