5 speed swap

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
For a 5 speed swap from a BW65 automatic do I have to use a certain shifter and shift platform? Or the shifter etc from the donor car?
Thanks Tom

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of swapping mine and have the donor parts out of an e28, from what I understand, thats all I'll need (except the e3 clutch pedal)

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of swapping mine and have the donor parts out of an e28, from what I understand, thats all I'll need (except the e3 clutch pedal)
Ok thanks.... I think so too. Just have read so many posts talking about different set ups.

ClayW

Reaction score
I'm using a 260 from an 88 535i. I haven't installed it yet, but I took measurements and used a platform from an E21. I tapped the bosses and used the E21 style shifter platform mounts; just had to drill new holes in the platform. For the shift selector rod, I bought a new E21 rod and cut/welded it to the right shape and length. For the speedometer, I am using the signal from the E28 diff to run a VDO speedometer that I took apart and installed in an E3 speedometer housing.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Sounds like my plan, but much more advanced in progress. What car did you get your VDO speedo from?

ClayW

Reaction score
Sounds like my plan, but much more advanced in progress. What car did you get your VDO speedo from?

I bought one of these from someone a long time ago because it was cheap and they were trying to get rid of them. Don't remember who and they wouldn't have any more now. Anyway, this pattern matches up with the 0-140 range on the E3 speedometer face, so I just had to cut the face out for the LCD screen.
You can see that the 0-140 sweep is about 270 degrees. If you can find a 140mph speedo with the same sweep range, you can probably use it.

indian-motorcycle-speedometer-vdo.jpg

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed my linkage yesterday. there's no provision for rear bushing for the upper bracket to mount in the trans tunnel. (the circled bit in this pic)
I got everything where I wanted it and drilled a hole straight up and ran a bolt through it. you could go through the task of welding a tab, but I've seen a couple others do what I did.

Attachments

• shifter link.png
    shifter link.png
    211 KB · Views: 128

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed my linkage yesterday. there's no provision for rear bushing for the upper bracket to mount in the trans tunnel. (the circled bit in this pic)
I got everything where I wanted it and drilled a hole straight up and ran a bolt through it. you could go through the task of welding a tab, but I've seen a couple others do what I did.

If you drilled a hole up through the floor, and are using a bolt, I recommend the setup SfDon recommended to me. Bolt head with a washer under the shift platform and up through the body of the car, a used sway bar bushing between the platform and the body of the car, and inside the car, a washer and two nuts. The second nut is to keep the setup from coming loose.

I have twice had my shift platform get loose and bounce off the driveshaft before I found this setup.

ClayW

Reaction score
I'm using a 260 and this is what I went with. I tapped the bosses to hold 2002/E21 shifter plate mounts and drilled new holes in an E21 shifter plate, which happens to be the right length. I then bought a new E21 selector rod and cut and welded it to match the curve of the original (to clear the guibo, but meet the length that I needed for this application. The shifter is from an E46 M3. I plan on doing a similar bushing and mount for the tail end of the plate.

G260E21Plate.jpg