5 Spd Shift lever question

Mich

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the middle of the transfer from 4 to 5 speed. I've read the tech FAQ, really helpfull so far!

Everything is mounted up under the car en fits good. The only thing is when I want to select reverse, the shift lever hits the center console inside the car. The same happens when selecting the 5th gear.

I think I used the wrong shift lever. Please see pic below, I've used shift lever number 1. Can somebody tell me which I need to use?

And does anybody know the BMW partnumber of the plastic rod that's pointed with the arrow?

Thnx for you help!

Attachments

• shifters.jpg
    shifters.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 232

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
don't know which you should use, but it seems to me that the shorter the distance between the ball and the end of the arm would make for a longer throw on the lever. therefore, the longer the distance below, the shorter the throw above.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the original 4 speed, it's part# 23411466120 (#2 in the diagram), called a "bush" and there are 2 of them. If it's the same diameter hole for your 5 speed then it should work.

B0016899.png

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you know what kind of car your shifter came from you could make sure you get the right sized bushing

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've just picked up a longer shifter (between the ball and the end).

With this longer distance check that the bottom clears the rubber guibo unit. There is not a lot of clearance between the two. What you have described is a partial short shift method. The other half may require raising the seat that the ball sits in (if clearance is an issue).

echappe

Reaction score
I bought a short shift kit made by UCC sold by Mesa, I think it was for an M3. This Cured the problem of whacking the side of the console and made for a nice tight pattern

Mich

Reaction score
I bought a short shift kit made by UCC sold by Mesa, I think it was for an M3. This Cured the problem of whacking the side of the console and made for a nice tight pattern

Thnx for sharing this. First I'll try to make a good shifter with the parts I've or easily access to have. Will post my experience this week.

Mich

Reaction score
Yessss, I've welded my own shifter. The space between de ball and the end is now 20mm and it shifts perfectly and doenst hit anything!

Now waiting for the new driveshaft, before I can try the new gearbox!