3.0 CSL 'Batmobile' 2275501 for sale in Spain

Reaction score
Dear Yannick,

first of all, many thanks for your comments. I'm sending many pictures to different people who asked me for.

And don't worry about how long it takes to sell the 'Bat' or not. My priority is to find the right owner for the 'Spanish Lady' (as a member of this forum called it). Last year, the highest offer was from an English sir who wanted the car to race it at tracks days, converting it with a 'wide kit' in a total different car.

In my mind, this car deserves a fully and loveful restoration. If I'm able to find the right person, the car will be sold. If not, it will remain in my garage with the rest of my small collection as long as necessary, or for ever.

Again, thanks for your suggestions, and I'm really impressed about your expertise and knowledge from this model, congrats.

Best regards.

Jaime QUERALT-LORTZING BECKMANN

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice video and great engine sound.
Probably wise to send pictures directly to interested parties.

CSL 1973

Reaction score

Hola Jamie,
Congrats to be an owner of a Bat!

If my notes are in order, I think the following LHD CSLs were delivered to Spain:

4 CSL Carb version (e.g. 2211700 and 2211358 )

1 CSL injection (most likely 2275384 to Gran canaria)
4 CSL Bats to Gran Canaria
3 CSL Bats to the rest of Spain

Your car is most likely the last (with the highiest VIN) Bat delivered to Spain. Do you know the story about the red fabric on your Scheels. I think I have seen your car without Bat-kit and with steel-bumpers. Can you tell us more.

Saludos y buen fin de samana
(H)enric

Reaction score
Dear CSL 1973,

well, my data differs from yours, but who knows?... Let me explain: I'm member of the Editorial Council from the Spanish classic cars' magazine 'COCHES CLASICOS'. It is not my professional activity, but as an old classic cars' fan, I write one or two articles per month.

In 2007 I wrote an article about a 3.0 CSL 'Batmobile' I found in Barcelona, and therefore I asked BMW Mobile Tradition about how many were delivered to Spain.

So, the answer from Kai Jacobsen and Andreas Harz was very clear, there were only four 'Bats' delivered to Spain:

2275443, a Polaris 060 'Bat', produced at July 18th 1973 and delivered to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, to the same BMW dealer than mine, Walter Sauermann. This car was never entitled with an Spanish license plate, and received a touristic one (in Spain cars receives a license plate number that remains until the car desapear) This 'Bat' was sold as a used car in the eighties, as far as I know, to UK.

2275488, a Chamonix 085 'Bat', was produced at July 18th 1973, and delivered to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, at August 20th 1973. The car was sold in Tenerife almost two years later, without any wings and stream, and with the original CSI's seats, as far as the buyer didn't like those 'striking' extras and so unconfortable seats. The car is today, in good hands, 250 Kms. away from Madrid, and when the new owner bought it, got in touch with the Canarian dealer and, incredibly, ¡the original wings and seats were still there!

2275490 was produced at October 17th 1973, also a Chamonix 085 'Bat', and was delivered to Barcelona at April 10th 1974 in order to be exposed at the 'Salon del Automovil' there (I have a picture from this car in 1974). An Spanish notary bought it for five times the price of the most expensive car produced in Spain at that time (Dodge 3700 GT). This car was restored, at an incredible level, at the end of the nineties, and is still close to Barcelona.

The fourth 'Bat' delivered to Spain is my 2275501. As you see, all three 3.0 CSL 'Batmobiles' went together to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, in the same shippment.

Then only three 'Bats' were entitled in Spain, which is not a bad part of the 167 totally produced, for a poor country like Spain at that time.

About CSL (even carb or injection) I don't have any data, sorry.

Hope this information should be useful for you.

Best regards.

Reaction score
¡Oh!, sorry CSL 1973; something else: you said you saw my car without Bat-kit and with steel bumpers. When?, where? Please, let me know more information about that.

Rear bumper is an steel one, since the car is one of the 'city package' originally delivered.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hola!
Many thx for the info. I will check my notes again about the Spanish deliveries. My detailed figures for the worldwide CSL deliveries are also from BMW Classic.

I think 2275501 has the reg plats GC-25xx F. If you pls send me a PM with your email address, I could send you a picture of the car with steel bumpers front and rear and without Motorsport stripes.

However, the car had the complete Bat kit on the picture. My mistake, I only remembered the steel bumpers. How about the red fabric on the Scheels?

Un saludo
Henric

Reaction score
Hello Henric,

I don't want to say that only my data are right. I'm giving you the details I have. Please, let me know yours deeply, seems to be very interesting.

About the red fabric from the Scheels seats, I'm not sure. In BMW told me that to be original, but added the word 'probably'. In my opinion they were also not really sure.

Somebody wrote last year in this forum that it was impossible to be original.

Let me say that I compared both seats from 2275488 and 2275490 with my seats, and the fabric form's, the way it is sewing, etc; seems to be identical. If I have to answer, I would say original, but I have nothing to proof it.

Det gäller :)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Scheel seat with red fabric

Hi,

It's fully possible that BMW in the 70s delivered Scheels with som parts in red fabric. BMW did several "Individual" Street CSLs. Mainly for celebrities and others with special connections with BMW. There were street CSLs, from factory, like the Hoeness CSL with wide race wings, special color-scheme, special strips and rims. Futhermore, Gauntlet's CSL with sun roof etc.

Officially not possible for CSL, but in reality almost everything was possible if the client paid for it and/or was a celebrity.

Gerrit is the one, who is one of the real Scheel-experts (among his other CSL-skills).

Cheers
Henric

Reaction score
2275443, a Polaris 060 'Bat', produced at July 18th 1973 and delivered to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, to the same BMW dealer than mine, Walter Sauermann. This car was never entitled with an Spanish license plate, and received a touristic one (in Spain cars receives a license plate number that remains until the car desapear) This 'Bat' was sold as a used car in the eighties, as far as I know, to UK.

Dear Henric,

I found some new info about 2275443, and a bit different from my previous post: it seems that the car received a foreigner (probably GB) as first entitlement at Canary Islands, since was bought from a British citizen. The car was later sold in Madrid to a very well known woman, called Marta Astanez, who sold it to Sergio Romagosa, also in Madrid, at the end of eighties. Mr. Romagosa, drove the car during some years and he resold it to Martin Pearse in the UK, early in the nineties, and the car received a British license plate, with the number JVG 329M.

d-ace

Reaction score
That CSL has done some real traveling.

I found years ago before I bought my 3.3CSL most the street CSL's were fitted with the twin carburetors 2958cc engine which only produced 180 hp. And was only about 150 pounds lighter than the CSI.
When changed to the 3003 cc electronic fuel injection engine they when to 200 hp the same as the fuel injection CSI.
Once setup to the racing version of the CSL it when to 3153cc which when to 206 hp. With no front bumper, plexiglas manual side windows and the interior was also stripped of some of its luxuries and trim plus all electric windows and sounding coatings then BMW managed to take 400 lbs off the weight off the standard car.

d-ace

Reaction score
As you have clarified here too my point was the CSL street version most recognize was not as light as most think. I read the specs in a book once it was only about 150lbs less than the CSI.
And interesting there were only 169 coupes of the lighter version CSL’s made out of I understand 765 LHD. Then the 169 coupes out of them were the ones that were 300-400-lbs lighter. I also read the 500 RHD CSL’s were made for comfort more like the CSI electric windows all the sounding materials as requested by the British distribution.
One thing of interest, I also read the “Batmobile” version the spoilers and wings was not allowed to be sold on the coupe in Germany it was illegal. The coupe was sold with the spoilers and wings boxed in the trunk.

About the 3.3CSL I bought in 1979 it said on the trunk 3.3CSL also had it stamped on the motor block 3.3, same block as BMW used in 1978 on the first year of the 635CSI we owned once. I think the displacement was 3299 on the 3.3CSL although between the 3.0CSI I have now (F/S) and 3.3CSL there was not much difference in motor power actually with the Stahl headers the 3.0CSI motor feels stronger. The big difference is the Euro close ratio 5-speed trans in all these coupes even the Euro 635CSI 1979 I own.

These Schnitzer are a great story I learn something new about them even to this day. In the 1970’s I when to Germany three times buying cars to import back to California. We looked at a lot of BMW coupes most already rusting. We ended up buying MB coupes SL’s people wanted them more in those days.
Anyhow thanks for the info on the 169 coupes of the lighter version CSL’s never heard that one before.

Last edited:

d-ace

Reaction score
Sorry to say I bought the CSL in 1979 I still don’t have it, I wish I did at the prices they are going for now days. The CSL was my third BMW (out of 9 of my own so far) the prior two were 1972 2002 Tii’s the first I bought in 1974 and own it for 6 years. The other Tii a close friend that lived on the north shore of Oahu Hawaii talked me out of it on a visit to Maui for a great price.
The CSL is one of my sad BMW stories in 1982 I shipped it to Maui from Los Angeles. On the ship going over a large crate broke loose and the corner impacted the driver’s door. Then I found out how fragile these CSL coupes are. The aluminum door was push all the way to the gearshift, taking out the rocker panels, sub-frame, floor pan, seat plus steering wheel and roof also most glass. I was paid $5,000 more than I paid for it although lost the 3.3CSL and even in those days the right one was hard to find even in Germany, at least I had it for a few years. I really never like the color brown although the tan leather inside was great. The CSI I have now I bought a few years later and another CS about two years after that.
The BMW I looked for years for and the one I drive the most over the last 15 years is a Euro 635CSI. As I have said before it even has headlights squinters and wipers on the headlights, BBS two-piece rims, Pirelli 245 tires, Recaro leather seats and the Euro close ratio 5-speed trans plus Stahl Headers. FUN coupe, real power and turns like a UFO the way I set it up.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
d-ace,

Sorry to hear that about the CSL. If I understood you correctly, that CSL is CKD (Completey Knocked Down) or written-off. Was the color of the CSL, Brown with tan leather and do you remember the VIN?

Cheers

Henric

Reaction score
Henric, you said Gerrit could help us about the red fabric of the seats, but never heard from him.

Gerrit, are you able to tell us something more about that?

Cheers

Reaction score
Still looking for a new owner for the 'Spanish Lady'

Dear all,

I'm selling my original 3.0 CSL 'Batmobile' sold in Spain in 1975 in Canary Islands. Please, take a look at http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C251699

You may also find a video from my car under
http://www.metacafe.com/videos_about/bmw_3.0_csl_batmobile/

For further information don't hesitate to get in touch with me by mail [email protected]

Many thanks

Dear all,

the 'Spanish Lady' is still looking for a new owner.

Thanks in advance.