3.0 csi engine turns over but won't run

kevin1972

Reaction score
I am busy restoring a 1973 3.0 csi

Last week I wanted to start the enige but no succes. When turning the key over the engine turns over but wont start up. I also dont hear the relays kick in and also dont hear the electric fuel pum running. I have checked all the fuses and cant find any thing wrong with the relays. Has anybody got an Idee what it could be. You can answer here or mail me at [email protected]

thanks guys

Stefan

Reaction score
I was wroting a fault tracing instruction to a former post

Rob
Junior Member Join Date: May 2009
e)
Problems fuel supply ?

And after a 1/2 hour of writing I was logged out, and all I wrote was gone (I'll do a Save here)

I think perhaps it is a stucked fuel pump. Kick it hard with a hammer and try again. If the fuel pump not used often, it could get stucked. My car was in sleep for +25 years. Now it is running lika a angry noisy large bee!! (I'll do a Save here)
You should least here a pumpnoise (1 sec)when turning ignition on. PM me for more help.

MMercury

Reaction score
I am busy restoring a 1973 3.0 csi

Last week I wanted to start the enige but no succes. When turning the key over the engine turns over but wont start up. I also dont hear the relays kick in and also dont hear the electric fuel pum running. I have checked all the fuses and cant find any thing wrong with the relays. Has anybody got an Idee what it could be. You can answer here or mail me at [email protected]

thanks guys

If you don't have a shop manual or something like a Haynes, Chilton, Autobooks or Clymer manual, you should. Most of those books have basic troubleshooting checklists that could at least narrow your diagnosis.

If I understand your post, the starter is turning the engine. You are also guessing that the fuel pump is not being energized because you do not hear the relays or the typical pump noise. If you have really checked all the fuses and related relays, what about voltage at the fuel pump relay (under the right rear passenger seat) and the pump itself? Hint: A volt-ohm meter could be very handy when testing circuits.

If you have voltage to the pump relay and the pump, look to the pump itself.

If you don't have a test meter and your pump has sat without use for a long time, I would test it directly with a 12V source. Original pumps have a tendency to seize, especially if allowed to sit dry (without fuel - to prevent rust). It might be easier to remove the pump and bench test it or, if you are so inclined, hot wire it directly to a battery with the pump installed. For safety reasons, I would think it makes more sense to test the pump out of the car.

If the pump checks out, there are several other things to check, including a a finicky ignition switch. If you haven't done so, try searching previous posts on the subject.

HTH and good luck!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Per usual, go to basics. Fuel? Loosen a hose and see it it sprays fuel everywhere. Spark? Pull the coil wire from distributor and have a friend touch the wire while cranking - if the friend jumps out of his shoes you have spark. Probably should check spark before spraying fuel everywhere but it's your call. Air? Hand over air intake and feel for vacuum while cranking.

We're here to help. :-D