2800CS Santa Ana CA

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NMNA.....

Saw this 1970 2800CS this morning at a dealer where it is on consignment, was $22K, now asking $11K. Has turned down $8-9K offers.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/2918129842.html

Supposedly two owners, current one for 10 years, used it in Palm Springs area but lives in Newport Beach. Repainted 10 years ago, says Baikal but looks Fjord to me. Overspray in engine bay, orange peely paint. Engine bay very dirty with oil, newer fan clutch conversion, automatic, has most tools but no tool box. Very original looking coupe overall including carpets, seats, trunk mat. Headliner replaced, has large perforations. Chrome is pretty decent, has pop riveted side impact strips. Ignition keys uses a starter button under dash to fire starter. Floors look solid but rockers near jack points appear a bit crunchy, small rust bubbles on driver's fender channel near wall. Started right up, didn't see any smoke, didn't drive it though. The neatest part are the blue CA license plates, 998BMW. These were given to dealers by the DMV and issued to new owners back in 69/70. The Joe Schneider parts car snatched up by a member two years ago here was 999BMW, Joe was the Anaheim BMW dealer.

Is it an $11k coupe? I think the extent of rust will tell but I told the dealer it is worth a little less but he thinks $10K is a drop in the bucket for most collectors. He sent me 40 pictures but it has overloaded my e-mail. It is on Grand near 1st Street, Coronado is the dealer, nice guy.

I have only one request. If someone buys it and takes it out of state I would very much appreciate the blue license plate to hang on my garage wall. They can't be transferred to another car here in CA.

Chris

Aleksey

Reaction score
Chris, I was looking at that coupe couple days ago, seems like a lot of small things that need to be replaced/fixed. And those rust bubbles that started to pop out all over the front of the car... What do you feel its market value?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The owner thinks it is worth more than it is. It could be a driver until the body work is started, I just couldn't tell how much rust is really in the rockers. I think maybe $7-8K?

tightbox

Reaction score
I offered Coronado $9k verbally *pending a full rust inspection* the day this was first listed on craigslist (almost a month ago now). He was asking $22k at the time, and didn't want to take much less than that.

This car would have been far more practical (and more in line with my original budget/intentions) had he accepted my offer.

I was originally searching for a $10k solid daily driver e9, but fell in love with a more expensive previously restored car. I ended up with an absolutely beautiful Fjord car...but I just might be scared to drive it in the rain!

Even with fender liners, Fluid Film, a car cover, etc, am I just asking for trouble driving a fully restored car that wasn't dipped? We'll see, but she sure is pretty, and these cars need to be seen and driven!

I do have an email from Coronado with tons of pictures that I can forward to any interested parties.