2800CS polishing

FinnCoupe

Reaction score
Our 2800CS was repainted in early 80's and I believe that clearcoat was added at that time. I think Granada should be without clearcoat?
Correct me if I'm mistaken...

Anyway, 30 years of abuse with incorrect washing methods:
IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

Some polish:
IMG_7427.jpg

OK, some difference can be seen:
IMG_7428.jpg

In the sun:
IMG_7445.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

Couple of general shots:
IMG_7454.jpg

2800CS.jpg

I did the polishing with a rotary machine and several different pad+polish combos. The clearcoat was very hard so some scrathes still stayed.
The car is probably stripped this fall for restoration so no point trying to get all scratches out....

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks very nice now! What is called a ten foot paint job. From ten feet away, looks perfect. I was in the same situation for a number of years. These cars are so beautiful that cleaning and polishing alone makes them striking. Fresh paint and they are irresistible!

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is paint coming off on the polishing pad? If so, then single stage (no clearcoat) or completely failed clearcoat. If not, then you've got intact clearcoat that should easily improve after your polishing. If single stage, be careful not to burn through to the primer on the body creases.

TodB

Reaction score
paint

Not sure I would repaint either based upon the latest pics.

Wonders can be had with the correct combination of buffer speed and pressure, pad type and polishing product(s). And patience. Your results seem to indicate you know what you are doing. Looks pretty good!

I've been very happy with the Zaino family of products. Easy to put on/take off and very effective.

FinnCoupe

Reaction score
Is paint coming off on the polishing pad? If so, then single stage (no clearcoat) or completely failed clearcoat. If not, then you've got intact clearcoat that should easily improve after your polishing. If single stage, be careful not to burn through to the primer on the body creases.

Paint wasn't coming on to the pad so there is clearcoat.

I actually did burn thru the clearcoat at one spot on the hood :oops:...

IMG_7464.jpg

The car looks fine from a distance but there are several details that annoy me. For instance, the car was painted with window seals on and now the rubberseals have shrunken over time and exposed the line between old paint and new paint.
Same thing with the chrome that goes around the car, new paint is slightly peeling off next to the chrome thingy...

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paint jobs like that really annoy me as i feel the car is unprotected - silly i know but its not too hard to prop up the seal edge with a bit of string/tube etc and paint it so the paint edge is under the seal. Still though you dont need to rush as in the meantime you have a lovely looking car!