2012 Land Rover Defender - opinions?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2012 Land Rover Defender 110 TDCI Station Wagon 2.2 Diesel overseas.
Welcome opinions either in long form or multiple choice:

a) bad idea
b) can't go wrong
c) go for it, life is short

Ballots close in 12 hours...
Thanks!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have never heard anyone expound positively about a Land Rover. That said, the Defender is unique and my wife soooo wanted one. It reminded her of the CJ7 she drove for many years. Perhaps a vintage Toyota Land Cruiser?

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get a 2012 landrover discovery instead. The earliest of the series 4, entry model. 2.8 lt diesel, single turbo, final run of that simple and bulletproof engine, manual seats, plus the bonus of smaller diameter brake discs, so you can fit prop offroad tyres on 16 inch rims, if you choose.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, read dj_efl's post above this. Read slowly, moving your lips, listen carefully. Follow his advice. The only worse car this side of the Iron Curtin you could purchase is a Peugeot. Ask me how I know, I will be delighted to regale you with my two favorite Peugeot stories. Based on personal experience.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the classic Emotion v Logic decision. But....there is also the "what does my spouse want" dilemma. This is either a "I'm gonna get it and will eschew all advice", or, I will proceed, and get some "See honey, I was not totally on board, but I supported you" credits! Let us know....and good luck with that! ;)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, it is unanimous. I will not pursue it. I would love to hear the Peugeot stories. The 403, 404, and 504 had very good reputations in South America in the 70s. The 504 Sedan was a very nice Pininfarina design, and the 504 Coupe looks are gorgeous...

dj_efk

Reaction score
Arde, read dj_efl's post above this. Read slowly, moving your lips, listen carefully. Follow his advice. The only worse car this side of the Iron Curtin you could purchase is a Peugeot. Ask me how I know, I will be delighted to regale you with my two favorite Peugeot stories. Based on personal experience.
If I was a betting man - I’d throw some money behind this one word: “Electrics”

?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will offer a counter opinion. My buddy Markus has a diesel Defender here and at his house in Sweden. The modern LR diesel is very smooth and drives great. I drove it. He's had no issues with either car. The car here is a 90s chassis with the newer engine, and the one in Sweden is around a 2016. Not sure if the 2012 has the most up to date engine. It is a lot simpler than a Range Rover/Discovery/LR4 etc.

He does say it is a 65 MPH and below car.

I assume you are going to buy it for use in Uruguay? No way to get that car into Cali, as far as I know.

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2012 Land Rover Defender 110 TDCI Station Wagon 2.2 Diesel overseas.
Welcome opinions either in long form or multiple choice:

a) bad idea
b) can't go wrong
c) go for it, life is short

Ballots close in 12 hours...
Thanks!
I looked for a defender as well. The issue I have is the rear seating arrangement in the d90 as I have young kids.
The main problem is rust like our cars. Around doors, front vents beneath windscreen. given the nature of the cars, they were likely beaten.
Driving position is a bit awkward too - not much elbow room.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked for a defender as well. The issue I have is the rear seating arrangement in the d90 as I have young kids.
The main problem is rust like our cars. Around doors, front vents beneath windscreen. given the nature of the cars, they were likely beaten.
Driving position is a bit awkward too - not much elbow room.

Adding one more option for your multiple choice...

d) I don't really drive my coupe that much, I'll sell for it to pay for a couple of years of maintenance

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will offer a counter opinion. My buddy Markus has a diesel Defender here and at his house in Sweden. The modern LR diesel is very smooth and drives great. I drove it. He's had no issues with either car. The car here is a 90s chassis with the newer engine, and the one in Sweden is around a 2016. Not sure if the 2012 has the most up to date engine. It is a lot simpler than a Range Rover/Discovery/LR4 etc.

He does say it is a 65 MPH and below car.

I assume you are going to buy it for use in Uruguay? No way to get that car into Cali, as far as I know.
Exactly, I would restore it in Uruguay and leave it there for use, instead of renting a minivan as I usually do.
In researching the global market I find that the Uruguay market prices are above the global market because it is illegal to import used vehicles. Whenever a rich soccer player or a jet set person want one, they must buy an already present car. The auction is today, and the vehicles were donated by the UK to the Uruguay Army. Most of them are tactical, but driving that to Starbucks will not make me new friends. It may get me a faster service though... I am looking at the station wagon. It needs no restoration but I would change the Army green color and refresh interior.
As many well said, no logic, pure emotion.

PS: If I buy it and leave it in Uruguay, you are all invited to use it if you take a southern vacation or trip there! Just refill the tank.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I missed the "overseas" part. Good luck with the auction. Post photos...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dan! It is a zoom auction, exciting. Beats the BAT boredom...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fascinating live auction with some people on the internet and some in person.
The Station Wagons went up to 55k$, the soft tops and the Tacticals went up to 32k$. I bid on the Station Wagons but fortunately I lost...
The UK has a good brand because ta lower bar is set by Eastern Block products... Lada Jeeps?

Last edited: