1985 BMW M635csi (Euro)

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Howdy - Considering selling to the right buyer: 1 of only 146 registered worldwide - a 1985 BMW M635csi (European Grey Market car) with the M88/3 (same as BMW M1) engine - original Diamond Schwartz Metallic paint and Anthracite Buffalo leather interior. All documentation since imported, all original and in superb condition with only 74k actual miles. Reported top speed from a non-modified factory model - 176 mph by Rug Cunningham at La Carrera Classic. Price on request. Feel free to private message me with questions. Thank you.

Attachments

• m motor.jpg
    m motor.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 340
  • m635csi euro.jpg
    m635csi euro.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 262
  • m6 int 2.jpg
    m6 int 2.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

rwolak

Reaction score
You "might consider selling to the right person". Just a little arrogant, don't you think? Plus, no price posted. That says a lot.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
635CSI - GARAGE - e.jpg
You "might consider selling to the right person". Just a little arrogant, don't you think? Plus, no price posted. That says a lot.

LOL! Why don't you write it up for me, Bob?

Truth is - I'm not in any hurry to sell it and I wouldn't sell it to a jerk, Bob. Rather, ideally I want to sell it to someone who "gets it" and that I can correspond with in the years to come. That's one of the best things about classic cars - the people you meet - the friends you make.

Also - I'm not putting the price out there because it may go up depending on the market right now. I also don't want to pigeon hole the price now - in case I do eventually decide to send it through an international auction house. Look at Hemmings, R&M, Sothebys and most of the big auction houses - how many cars there say Price: Inquire, Bob? Finally - not putting a price out there helps narrow it down to serious buyers.

This is a pretty rare car and (to me) it's not just about money - if possible - it's also about the right person. In fact, I recently took less money for this '89 E24 I sold to keep it in town with an arrangement that I could buy the car back if he ever sold it.

If all that's "arrogant" in your mind - then so be it. That's not my intent. - Tom

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'll stay away from the obvious here and just say that someone posting a car as rare as this one to a to group of enthusiasts with similar taste should be taken as fortunate and an opportunity to some. We allow links to ebay and other for sale sites here because we want to know about what's for sale and don't want to discourage people from posting what they have. He could've posted straight on eBay, BAT, and anywhere else without stopping by here first.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry... what is BHCC? And, yes... pretty much anything but Bitcoin :)

Sorry I was responding to @rwolak ‘s unwelcoming comment about discretionary selling as “arrogant”. Point being that while he doesn’t like your statement, I strongly suspect the he and everyone else will hesitate selling their baby to a buyer who clearly isn’t right. BHCC is Beverly Hills Car Club. It is a used car dealer that flips classic cars. Some members love to hate them.

I'll stay away from the obvious here and just say that someone posting a car as rare as this one to a to group of enthusiasts with similar taste should be taken as fortunate and an opportunity to some. We allow links to ebay and other for sale sites here because we want to know about what's for sale and don't want to discourage people from posting what they have. He could've posted straight on eBay, BAT, and anywhere else without stopping by here first.

A new member who just purchased an e9. Diverting attention away from the production best BMW e24 ever made to focus on his new purchase. How is that for a warm welcome!

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey gents - it's all good. I've been called a lot worse LOL!
And yes... as a rule BHCC does - and in mho - sell less than concourse-quality cars :)
Onward through the fog...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a great conversation :) We so rarely have "tude" on this site; I know of a very low mileage M635csi, which I think is different than the M6 and the price for that is 50K but it is awesomely pristine, Grey Market and I think has 17K miles.. so there you have it :)

Also, speaking of Grey market- please check out this next e30 post. I'm feeling really good about this, I get to participate in a spicy conversation AND Hijack a thread at the same time!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
is this the BMW M1 engine ??? the M88 ????

The main difference between the M6 and its European counterpart, the M635CSi, is that the S38 engine is used instead of the M88. Compared with the M88, the S38 has a catalytic converter, the compression ratio reduced to 9.8:1, a double row timing chain, a shorter camshaft duration and a simplified exhaust manifold. The power output for the North American E24 M6 is 256 hp (191 kW), which is 30 hp less than the European M635CSi.[19]

- from Wikipedia.

Yup, for E24s...this is as good as it's going to get. Figure $40-75k, depending if #3 to #1 condition.

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
The e24 M market is all over the place right now and BAT seems to have at least one for sale every week. BAT M635csi sales this year are low sale of $17k and high sale $37k. A 37k mile car didn't hit reserve at $59k. The USA cars are rarer and seems to be selling for higher prices than the euros, but the euro version is better car (IMO) being lighter, more powerful, and much better looking bumpers before the world bumpers.

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
How we do love these classic cars... Glad to be a part of this entertaining and informative debauchery.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
The e24 M market is all over the place right now and BAT seems to have at least one for sale every week. BAT M635csi sales this year are low sale of $17k and high sale $37k. A 37k mile car didn't hit reserve at $59k. The USA cars are rarer and seems to be selling for higher prices than the euros, but the euro version is better car (IMO) being lighter, more powerful, and much better looking bumpers before the world bumpers.
Well stated Jon - I tracked that car and I feel mine had key advantages over that one that did not meet reserve at $59k - lower miles aside. Now if I can just get an Arab sheikh to endorse it LOL!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I’ve noticed this too and commented on it in my CL finds thread. Defies common sense. We will reach a point in the very near future where folks reminisce about finding an M6 or M635csi for sub $30K. It is the last of the M cars to spike but it is on an upward trend.