1974 3.0CS w DOT bumpers $75k - Vintage Reserve Garage

duane_sword

Reaction score
Rare (if not desirable)

NMNA and I am sure the big-bardge bumpers will be super desirable in 10years time… seriously a collectors car given most from 1974 with US spec have been Euro-bumpered (including mine)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In ten years time those bumpers that look like they came off a 1960s NYC bus will look ten times uglier and be worth 10% less.

duane_sword

Reaction score
put your money where you mouth is…

So who is going to buy this beauty then…. with Euro-style bumpers front and rear

http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=1972-BMW-3-0CSi

NMIDA. Not Mine, In-Direct Affiliation ;-)

I am affiliated with VSR given I am proud to have had my CS restored by them a few years back…. but I have no affiliation with the coupe for sale.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
So who is going to buy this beauty then…. with Euro-style bumpers front and rear

http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=1972-BMW-3-0CSi

NMIDA. Not Mine, In-Direct Affiliation ;-)

I am affiliated with VSR given I am proud to have had my CS restored by them a few years back…. but I have no affiliation with the coupe for sale.

Impeccable cars at this price point don't have missing parts under the hood.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was reading some of the valuations on the thread below and they look interesting but I still think there is-or can be- a bit of "science" put in there and then some wiggle room for "black magic". I did a top-of-(what's left of)-my head estimate on the actual "cash" spent in total on my car-and I still need the headliner done. The total is about 29-32K with the purchase of the car. I attached this morning's Siamese twin picture (Ms.Magnus is on the right) and SfDon can probably say what a car in her condition would sell for because he picked everything apart on it.

I did do almost all the work on it except paint and body, and I had a friend help with some strategic floor pan and bullet hole welding, so labor was not an issue.

A good philosophical question might be from the buyer's side; does labor actually figure into the price of the finished product? The buyer is paying for the product only, not what it took to make it- If you buy a very solid car for 16,000.00 and have all the corrosion issues addressed and stripped and painted and polished up should it sell for less than a similar car that was taken apart and re-assembled correctly taking thousands of hours and lots of love when the result is a pair of great looking cars in roughly the same condition?

Not even sure that question makes any sense.

Attachments

• eviltwin1.jpg
    eviltwin1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 128

Gernstetter

Reaction score
I was reading some of the valuations on the thread below and they look interesting but I still think there is-or can be- a bit of "science" put in there and then some wiggle room for "black magic". I did a top-of-(what's left of)-my head estimate on the actual "cash" spent in total on my car-and I still need the headliner done. The total is about 29-32K with the purchase of the car. I attached this morning's Siamese twin picture (Ms.Magnus is on the right) and SfDon can probably say what a car in her condition would sell for because he picked everything apart on it.

I did do almost all the work on it except paint and body, and I had a friend help with some strategic floor pan and bullet hole welding, so labor was not an issue.

A good philosophical question might be from the buyer's side; does labor actually figure into the price of the finished product? The buyer is paying for the product only, not what it took to make it- If you buy a very solid car for 16,000.00 and have all the corrosion issues addressed and stripped and painted and polished up should it sell for less than a similar car that was taken apart and re-assembled correctly taking thousands of hours and lots of love when the result is a pair of great looking cars in roughly the same condition?

It depends on the end result....some are paying over 100k for these cars done to concours condition, problem is when you drive one of those, the trailer queen value goes down.....but if you have 100k to spend on a toy, them who cares....you have much more "invested" in your car if you factor in the labor time you spent on it....so to answer your question, if you did a good job! then your cost is much higher but your enjoyment factor is also high.....

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need a few details

For the ask, id think they rad support panel could be straightened out and resprayed. Also maybe the trunk trim could be straightened out. Otherwise looks like a great car. And w VSR1's restorations you know e erything was done the right way.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
missing tool(s), jack placement, missing fan motor cover, valve cover?? carbs, leather out of the waiting room of a Hong Kong Brothel.
Oh, the bumpers, again.
$75K///

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
missing tool(s), jack placement, missing fan motor cover, valve cover?? carbs, leather out of the waiting room of a Hong Kong Brothel.
Oh, the bumpers, again.
$75K///

..it would appear that Hong brothel owners are a discerning bunch as there are many E9 "red" interior devotees ...aren't there Stan ?! ;-) . But yes, I think we have consensus on those bumpers .

Cheers, Simon

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simon, didn't mean to offend discerning Brothel owners. Commenting more on the shade of red. It "pops" to my eyes. Too bright, too red, not the subtle deep red I know.

And yes, the bumpers RULE.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I want to watch when the new owner tries to take the battery out.
Good news- no battery hold down
Bad news - that hose is in the way and so is the relay

You would think they would have installed exhaust shields...

Maybe change the brake fluid...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm thinking 40-45K would be a good price for that fine automobile- we could spend the balance at the Hong Kong Brothel! And while we're at it maybe we could suggest to BMW the addition of a new interior color; Hong Kong Brothel Red: or "bordellrot Hongkong", hey my car was originally "Amazongrun" :) which I think translates "pigmy prostitute"

OK, I'll stop.

m73

Reaction score

Hey Peter, which coupe is yours?

I happen to like the one to the right.....what's the color(s) Atlantik?

MF

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
MF The one on the right in the first picture is mine, it's Midnight Blue, or as close as I could get :) The one on the left is Atlantik, it almost looks a little greenish but not really, just has that "feeling" it's about a 50/50 split between the folks in the office as to which color they like better- But I'm with you- I like the one on the right better :)

(or the one in the background in this picture) But to be fair I still have to put on the badges, adjust the hood and fix some little things- I'll tell you one thing though the 2800 runs really strong I think it is a little faster than mine-

The Atlantik must have been a much harder color as the shop had to repaint it 2 times- (3 in total).

Attachments

• twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 110

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do they make Europe '72 roundels?

MF The one on the right in the first picture is mine, it's Midnight Blue, or as close as I could get :) The one on the left is Atlantik, it almost looks a little greenish but not really, just has that "feeling" it's about a 50/50 split between the folks in the office as to which color they like better- But I'm with you- I like the one on the right better :)

(or the one in the background in this picture) But to be fair I still have to put on the badges, adjust the hood and fix some little things- I'll tell you one thing though the 2800 runs really strong I think it is a little faster than mine-

The Atlantik must have been a much harder color as the shop had to repaint it 2 times- (3 in total).

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, I'm glad you mentioned that, something I will definitely consider manufacturing. If we don't find a market here, I think what's left of the dead is still touring and I could set up a booth in the parking lot!

Remember- old Dead Heads never die, we just smell funny-