1973 BMW 3.5 CS 5-speed

1973PolarisCS

COLOR: POLARIS SILVER. NAVY BLUE INTERIOR
ODOMETER: 64,179

MODEL E9 3.5 CS

YEAR 1973

VIN #: 2250553

Manufactured by Karman and designed by Bertone Girogetto Giuggaro, this E9 is 1 of only 779 E9s made in 1973, so it is truly rare.

ENGINE BMW M30B35 208 HP 3.5 litre engine from a BMW E-32 735i.

Installed by: Don Lawrence of Alameda, California

TRANSMISSION Getrag 265 5-speed transmission, cleaned inside and out, inspected and resealed by Pete’s Gear Shop of Hayward, CA.

Custom rebuilt driveshaft.

All installed by: Don Lawrence of Alameda, California

EXTERIOR: Metallic Polaris Silver

INTERIOR: Brand new PORSHE BLUE LEATHER seats from GAHH of California, installed by Pacific Auto Trim of Vancouver

BODY WORK: Engine bay restoration and repaint by Don Lawrence of Alameda, California.

Additional internal wax spray was applied in Vancouver in 2012.

Full body restoration and new undercoating by Neil McDonnell of Neil’s Wheels of Vancouver.

Additional mechanical detailing: Vancouver BMW (The BMW Store) Hayden Winter (Shop Foreman) and Dave Delmonte.

ALL ORIGINAL:

With the exception of of a new 3.5 litre (208 h.p.) engine, a Getrag 5 Speed transmission, and many new parts, this 1973 BMW 3.5 CS Coupe in Metallic Polaris Silver and Indigo Blue Leather is all original and true to 1973. Outwardly, the car looks like a period-correct stock 1973 E9, with the original Polaris Metallic exterior complimented by the original blue leather interior and new matching GAHH leather seats, which also match the cut and appearance of the original seats.

All the components work:

The air conditioning is powerful, highly effective. The original Blaupunkt AM/FM radio and speaker works beautifully. The speaker is sharp, clear, and surprisingly loud, with excellent high and low end response. And it’s original. I don’t think they were used much. Power windows work smoothly. It has a set of BC collector plates and still qualifies as a ‘modified collector’ (in B.C.) after the engine and transmission replacements.

TOOL KIT: The tool kit box is missing, but all the tools are all here, all in excellent condition.

Also present: the SPARE TIRE, JACK, JACK WEDGE and TIRE IRON, all in excellent condition.

An assortment of spare bulbs and parts comes with the car. Just in case!

RESTORATION NOTES:

This car has been in my life, on and off, for 46 years. It was purchased new, by my father, as a gift to my mother, in 1973. The dealer was Vancouver BMW, 2040 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC, which has been (and still is) in operation continuously since 1968. They sold the first BMWs in British Columbia.

This same dealership still works on and cares for the car under the watchful eye of Shop Foreman, Haydn Winter, who knows this car well.

Dad was a mechanical engineer who ran a helicopter company. He knew the importance of maintenance to aircraft safety. So he kept this car in a heated garage with constant airflow, using an ingenius system of his own design. The car was rarely driven in winter.

As most E9 afficianados are aware, front fender rust issues caused by a Karman Gia design flaw came to light in the early 1980’s. The flaw allowed dirt to accumulate in the wheel well, attracting moisture and creating a wave of warranty claims. So BMW did a recall of all 1973 E9s and paid for all the fenders to be replaced! Vancouver BMW had all its E9s enter this program. All front fenders on all BC E9s were replaced with brand new fenders, even if there was no rust problem yet. The re-designed fenders eliminated the dirt/moisture build up and were heavily coated with a thick oil/wax liner. Problem solved! The company that had the contract to do this work in BC was World Class Collision, owned – then and now - by Boris Korva, who oversaw all the work done on our car. And, just like Vancouver BMW (now called The BMW Store), Boris is still in business.

Mum traded the car in for a Mercedes in early March, 1992, with 49,000 miles on the odometer.

Within a day or two, the car was bought by Ivan B., on March 6, 1992, who knew the car well from a life of involvement in the Vancouver car industry. Ivan owned the car for 15 years, and he only sold it when someone he knew, who wanted an E9, called him up one day and offered to buy it for a tidy sum.

Thus did Alan C. buy the car on November 10, 2006, and the car was shipped to Florida with 56,000 miles on the odometer.

The installation of the M30B35 208 HP 3.5 litre engine completely transforms this car into one supercharged little hotrod that handles like dream, sprinting off the mark, turning on a dime, and coming into its own on the highway, where it likes to purr along quietly in 5th gear at about 1800 RPMs. Very relaxing.

BODY WORK: Engine bay restoration and repaint by Don Lawrence of Alameda, California.

Internal body wax spray was applied in Vancouver in 2012, as a preventive.

Additional body work by Neil McDonnell of Neil’s Wheels of Vancouver.

Neil McDonnell is a true car craftsman who takes no short-cuts. He has worked on a number of E9 projects in the lower mainland area, and has a reputation of doing careful, detail-oriented work. He stripped the body of the car, inside and out, to seek out corrosion (if any) and eliminate it. The photographs illustrate his work fully, and prove what is underneath all that paint and undercoating. The entire underside of the car was stripped down to the metal, both inside and out, from stem to stern, and then repaired and triple-coated as per the accompanying sequence of photographs.

Additional mechanical detailing: Vancouver BMW, Hayden Winter (Shop Foreman).

NEW COMPONENTS:

Too many to count, but off the top of my head let me give it a try:

New Electrical harness

New Headlight re-wiring and relays, for safety and brighter headlights.

(Note: The original CS wiring left the lights dim and yellow. Don Lawrence corrected this electrical design flaw, so the headlights, though conventional and period-correct, are now considerably brighter.

New Gas pump

New Fuel lines and fuel pump assembly, wiring, plugs, hoses.

New fuel injection kit

New Windshield washer pump motor, assembly, water bottle and hosing.

Invisible, multi-level anti-theft technology.

New Rotors and Calipers

New center drag link

New rear sway bar end links

New Rear sub frame cross beam

New Differential bushing

New Rear control arm bushings.

New Door, trunk and engine hood seals

New engine hood insulation

New muffler and tailpipe (2013)

New AC compressor

New AC coolant, July/2018

New triple-cored radiator (never overheats)

New radiator fan and fanbelts

ADDITIONAL HISTORY:

To be honest, folks, my goal was to do a perfect restoration, as a kind of homage, I suppose, to the craftsmanship, perfectionism and accomplishment of my parents. The goal being to make this car into something that people would want to take care of, so that it would last a long time. A legacy project.

FLAWS:

There are 4 tiny flaws to the exterior of the car that give it a unique fingerprint. (see photos). I left them there on purpose, for sentimental reasons, and as identifiers. You have to look hard to find them.

WARNING TO PROSPECTIVE OWNER-DRIVERS:

Use of this vehicle may result in excessive unwarranted attention. It’s a bit like driving around with a movie star in the passenger seat. You will meet many people who you never intended to meet. They will want to take a picture. It’s a very social experience. Leave extra time when running errands.

Single, looking to meeting people? Looking for a life partner? This car could seriously change your life. I repeat: this car is not only a good investment, it’s a great way to meet people.

But if you are shy and retiring and don’t enjoy the undeserved adulation of complete strangers on a regular basis, then this is definitely not the car for you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions:

1973PolarisCS(the Seller)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
[email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 654
Last edited by a moderator:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A fine looking car indeed. Say, for the e9 history experts out there, I have a detail question. I see on this Polaris car that the cowl and fender grills are chrome. However, on many (most?) Polaris cars I think I've seen black grills. Would the market in which the car was delivered, or the year of the car, change this detail? I am curious as I am restoring my Polaris car and need to make a choice for these pieces. Black contrasts boldly with the silver, but the chrome as on this car do look very nice. Maybe even "class it up" a bit - ha ha. :D Sharp car - GLWS - and hope this isn't (too much of) a hijack of the thread. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A fine looking car indeed. Say, for the e9 history experts out there, I have a detail question. I see on this Polaris car that the cowl and fender grills are chrome. However, on many (most?) Polaris cars I think I've seen black grills. Would the market in which the car was delivered, or the year of the car, change this detail? I am curious as I am restoring my Polaris car and need to make a choice for these pieces. Black contrasts boldly with the silver, but the chrome as on this car do look very nice. Maybe even "class it up" a bit - ha ha. :D Sharp car - GLWS - and hope this isn't (too much of) a hijack of the thread. :)
Hijack continues. I have chrome over nickel or is it nickel over chrome(at least that's sort of what the chrome guy told me. Not cheap. Excellent work, does chroming for high end companies like Knoll) now where was I? Oh yes, chrome vents on my Polaris coupe. Agree the black contrasts, but plastic is plastic. Chrome is metal, and does "class it up" a lot to my eyes.

Steve

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hijack continues. I have chrome over nickel or is it nickel over chrome(at least that's sort of what the chrome guy told me. Not cheap. Excellent work, does chroming for high end companies like Knoll) now where was I? Oh yes, chrome vents on my Polaris coupe. Agree the black contrasts, but plastic is plastic. Chrome is metal, and does "class it up" a lot to my eyes.

Steve
And, the chrome grills complement the chrome kidney.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What about the “clam” and tools? Coupe King down in Wilmington, CA specializes in such ‘stuff but be prepared to pay dearly. I do not use my “clam” unless showing the car in a show coupled with very close security so no one can rip-off anything. Am finding the “clam” to be very delicate to use on a daily basis. Fragility?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What about the “clam” and tools? Coupe King down in Wilmington, CA specializes in such ‘stuff but be prepared to pay dearly. I do not use my “clam” unless showing the car in a show coupled with very close security so no one can rip-off anything. Am finding the “clam” to be very delicate to use on a daily basis. Fragility?
very fragile. BMW re-issued them a few years ago but not sure how many remain

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 72 polaris has silver vents. They were original when i got the car, and pitted, so i got a set of new fender and hood grills right away, they were reasonably priced back then, and available. I annodized my front grille slats black however, love that look.