1973 3.0S Bavaria FS

73tiiguy

Reaction score
go to craigslist link to see pics - George
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4375855028.html

It's finally time to find my 3.0S a new home. It's been fun, it's been a project, but above all it's been expensive! Keep in mind though, this isn't a concourse car.

Where to begin, I believe that I am the third owner of this 1973 3.0S. I bought this car from the second owners in Southern California early 2010. The engine had blown the head gasket from 1987 I'm guessing (last time it was registered). So they toted this car around from one garage to the next for 23 years! The good news is that there was very little rust -- just a bit in the spare tire well, and the gas tank (tank was replaced with used rebuilt one).

I had it shipped home and I began the slow resurrection of this somewhat rare E3 sedan.

The original engine literally rusted from the inside out because of the 23 year old failed head gasket situation -- So it had to be replaced. As luck would have it, a good friend of mine had a spare 3.0 liter M30 engine sitting around in his garage. I removed the rotten motor and automatic slushbox together, and let the local metal scavenger guy take them away (talk about convenient).

A few months had gone by and I found a 1981 E12 to use as a parts car -- Happy days! Hello Getrag 265 5 speed transmission along with a complete L-jet fuel injection system.

Next I turned my attention to all the other things that needed to be replaced!

Engine:
Removed the carbs and installed L-jet fuel system i.e. electric fuel pump from E12
Installed electronic ignition from E12 with new cap, rotor, plugs and wires
Newer fan and clutch from e32 M30
New thermostat hoses and belts
New water pump

Brakes:
Rebuilt brake booster (A1-Cardone -- better than nothing)
New front vented E9 brake rotors, pads w/E12 calipers
New rear rotors, pads, E-brake shoes and rebuilt calipers
ATE super blue fluid
New Hoses all the way around
New front wheel bearings

Suspension:
Added on front and rear sway bars from donor E12
Replaced all of the end link bushings
New front lower control arms with ball joints
New center link and tie rod ends
New idler arm bushing
New tension bar bushings
Gold BBS pimp wheels 15" wheels with brand new Falken tires (Last year)
Alignment after the struts and tie rods were replaced
Early E23 front springs with new spring pads
Brand new KYB struts cartridges
Rear original springs with a pair of yellow Bilstiens

Exterior:

Painted inside and out i.e. door jams, under hood and decklid -- All the trim along with front and rear windows removed. Brand new BMW mobile tradition window seals were used along with a NOS front windshield.

Brand new BMW mobile tradition tail light lenses
Brand new BMW mobile tradition front European side marker lights
Hella H4 low beam housings

Interior:

Seats rebuilt and recovered in a very nice vinyl material which if I sprayed leather smell onto, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Look at seats, are they not amazing?
A new grey velour carpet kit installed by upholstery shop. I happen to not like the loop style so minus some points for originality, but plus some for better comfort and sound absorbing.
New OEM material headliner from ACE down in LA installed by upholstery shop.
I installed E3Li walnut wood trim all around the doors and dash (provided by the same good friend that had an M30 motor sitting around).
The door panels along with the b-pillars were cleaned up and look fantastic as well.

Of course there are some things I've done/replaced which I haven't mentioned. And there are some minor cosmetic items which need to be addressed.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow! Great car! All the right options and mods.

GLWS, it seems like a good deal.

Oh yeah, was the interior originally white?

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Yup, as crazy as it seems came that way from the factory. As a matter of fact, there is an E9 coupe with the same exact ext/int - Devinder??

FjordTempo

Reaction score
color combo

I love that color combination too. My e9 is Fjord blue over cardinal red, but I believe a previous owner switched out the interior color. Is there any way to know the original interior color combination without hints left behind (my trunk carpet is brown) or without the original owner telling me?

Yup, as crazy as it seems came that way from the factory. As a matter of fact, there is an E9 coupe with the same exact ext/int - Devinder??