1973 3.0 CSL newbie project

carreracat

Reaction score
hi all,

i have just become the proud new owner of a 1973 3.0 CSL in need of full restoration.

the restorations wont be starting for a while as i haven't collected the car yet and i will be on the hunt for all the parts before it begins.

i am looking forward to picking your collective brains during the process!

front.jpg

side.jpg

int.jpg

eng.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You will need a glass bead blaster and good welding skills right off the top. Good that it is a CSL.

Beemer70

Reaction score
Good for you - Old Girl looks likes she has had some hard knocks but still a pretty thing.

carreracat

Reaction score
what are everyone's recommendations for parts suppliers for the CSL?

i need at least the following:
body panels
body rubber seals
engine overhauls parts (seals, gaskets, bearings etc)
finishing items (decals, roundels etc)
suspension and brake parts

frogisland

Reaction score
Walloth and Nesch are a good start, very efficient, prompt delivery, well packaged, great quality panels.

http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/frameparts.htm

Surface Processing (if you decide to go that way) will become your best friends! Note, for initial dipping the waiting list is about a month and ecoating about 6 months. If you think you may go this way it is wirth getting yourself an e coat slot now - it can always be cancelled at no cost, they have no problems filling the slots. (if you do speak to them tell them e9 Jason referred you (no direct association and no gain on my part))

My car at SPL awaiting dipping

CIMG3685.jpg

Panels at SPL awaiting dipping, light grey ones are from W&N, rear skirt/black floor panels from Jaymic and LHD cross member for conversion to LHD

03052012094.jpg

Shell post dipping

CIMG3898.jpg

CIMG3893.jpg

CIMG3879.jpg

An ecoated shell, not mine (one that 4star classics are doing, and one that was in remarkably good condition)

03052012102.jpg

03052012100.jpg

jamesw

Reaction score
Very nice! Any details on the ecoating process? Is it an anodizing process (similar to galvanizing or cad plating) or is it an electrostatic spray on and bake like "powdercoating?"

Thanks for the shots of the panels etc as well. At a minimum I'm going to have to do my rockers and floorboards - so appreciate that.

James