1973 3.0 CSi - A resto project

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Waiting for some electrical parts, in the meantime the suspensions have been assembled.

31589863980_16bbac821d_h.jpg

31815756492_e480c12952_h.jpg

31815855562_ce379bf3f8_h.jpg

31963492145_f825d2f230_h.jpg

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Time to install the W&N stainless steel exhaust. It fits very good, no modifications required.

31259336044_e183a76178_b.jpg

31725273620_f57f380839_b.jpg

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
A question which is driving me nuts: what are those two red "things" below the orange button? I've checked the owner's manual but nothing about them. Thanks.

32372378845_9e2f8687c1_o.jpg

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m searching for the velvet sealing strips (side glasses), but W&N doesn’t have them.

Did anyone ever replaced them? How?

Thanks!

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok now it's the moment to go nuts with the D-Jetronic.

All the injection system components have been rebuilt with the exception of:

MPC
Ignition module

The car doesn't start easily when cold, after some attempts it goes and the idle rises to 2k for few minutes, than the engine goes back to idle and then it becomes to go on the rollercoaster among 500 and 1000 rpm.

I believe that's not an issue related to the module as I used to know that the ignition either works or it doesn't.

MPC? Maybe. I've done a test using the working MPC of a 1975 Mercedes 350 SLC: the idle remains low but at least it doesn't have the "rollercoaster" behaviour.

The car doesn't smoke at all and the exhaust smell is good.

In both cases, there is a lag when I open the throttle (see video). Any clue?

Bwana

Reaction score
Har har har...:p

MPC? Is that the same as an MAP, manifold absolute pressure? If it is, I think you can do a rough test on it by pulling a vacuum on it and seeing if it leaks back up to atmospheric pressure. It should hold a total vacuum indefinitely.

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
The point is that with the Merc pressure sensor the idle was rough but stationary while with the original sensor the idle goes up and down.

Also, there is a huge lag (at least 1 second) between the throttle opening and the rpm raising.

Generally speaking, in your opinion, could I exclude an ECU issue?

Last edited:

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now it's the moment to choose the carpets color and material, so I would understand:

with a black car and tan leather interiors, what's the correct carpets color?

Cabrio.de: https://www.cabrio.de/khm/en/carpet-materials

has, imo, the correct material but I don't know if the car has the two-tone loop of the Bouclè pattern. What's the correct one? I believe the Light tan two tone loop (code 421) but I'm not sure. Any suggestion?

Thanks
F.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Boucle (known as Squareweave) was not used in BMWs. The two tone loop is the correct material (except in CSLs) except those colors are all Mercedes (DB). Tan and brown interiors most likely had the goldbraun color, not available as far as I know.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now it's the moment to choose the carpets color and material, so I would understand:

with a black car and tan leather interiors, what's the correct carpets color?

Cabrio.de: https://www.cabrio.de/khm/en/carpet-materials

has, imo, the correct material but I don't know if the car has the two-tone loop of the Bouclè pattern. What's the correct one? I believe the Light an two toe loop (code 421) but I'm not sure. Any suggestion?

Thanks
F.
Francesco, i recommend using the KHM gray / black with the Tan interior. i looked at all of the different companies tan loops ... and i wasn't wild about any of them. i bought the gray after looking at pics of deQ's coupe with blue carpet and the light seats ... and Stan's gr8white with the red interior and gray carpet (if i remember correctly). after i put it in, i got scheel seats with gray / black fabric. then i went out and got black door panels, armrests, etc. if coupe was here + not in the spa getting paint touchups i'd go take a picture.