1972 Nachtblau Coupe on EBay

bubukitty

Reaction score
Here is a link to a 1972 coupe located in Sacramento. 5 speed car with electric sunroof, with a "Buy it Now" for $29,888 or "Make Offer". Was listed previously in the high $30's with no takers. I called the dealer and he said that the car is basically in good shape and has had 3 owners. Was originally a S. Cal car. Claimed no rust. Current owner has had the car since 2000. Driver's door is said to need aligning as it does not shut properly. New leather in 2001-2002 and paint then as well. AC needs re-charge. The dealer emailed me a bunch of service records. Looks like it has had a number of things done, including sunroof repair, A/C repair etc. Compression figures shown on one receipt looked good a number of years ago and recent ones show lower compression. I'm not an expert on leak down figures, but they do not look very consistent on all the cylinders per one receipt. One of the receipts said the car needed an engine rebuild.

Not sure what to think about this car. In one respect, it is somewhat compelling as it is a CA car supposedly from new and has a sunroof (my preference) and manual tranny, but not getting an overall warm and fuzzy on this one. I am willing to email the service records I received from the dealer if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E9-3...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Given that it is a consignment the most useful information would come from the owner and the previous mechanics.

Engine bay looks nice. New leather in 2001 is meaningless with the California sun, and the front seats have covers... If it needs an engine rebuild that would be good so you reduce that from the price and start with a fresh engine...

My linguistic pet peeve is against saying "wheels X wrapped in Y tires". I would just run away from any sales person that says that and move on to another car. Why wrapped? How about cloaked, clothed, encased, enveloped, protected, sheathed, shrouded, swaddled, swathed?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Records from 1996 but it is not in the CA BAR smog test history report which it would require in 1997, the last year it needed testing in CA. License plate is from 1998 or 1999 issue, not likely a CA coupe from new.

And does the shift lever look like it came from a hot rod? Looks awfully tall.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
1972 Nachtblau 3,0CS (VIN 2250135) on eBay

This 4-spd/AC/PW/Sunroof 3,0CS with "120,597" miles is being offered by a dealer (on consignment) in Sacramento on eBay for a BIN price of $24,888.

PPI done at Lubo's Bavarian Motors 07/10/2013.

Recommendations: Needs engine rebuild in the future due to high cylinder leak, all tie rods, complete brake job soon, water pump, windshield wipers and washer not working, A/C low on refrigerant (not cold)?, some rubber weather strip aged/bad, right turn/park light possibly crossed up wires, best to service all window lifters and motors, windshield chip, one shift tower mounting point is broken off transmission, rear sub-frame mounts (center) 2nd silencer on exhaust cracked-leak. Tires are from Year 2000.

Rust Visualized at bottom right of right door and bottom left of right fender, right trailing edge of trunk lid. Rocker cover panels rusty as well.

Compression: 155/150/145/130/135/155
Cylinder Leak: 7/5/17/27/32/6

Numbers are screaming engine rebuild although dealer insists "carbon build-up". Paint done 10 years ago looks good from pics but interior done at the same time looks weathered and front seats are covered in sheepskins?

Dealer was very forthcoming with the information and provided the service records, including ones from Lubo's from 6/2003 at "2524" miles to 9/2007 when it had "18120" miles. None since. Dealer says has service records dating back to the mid-90s that originate in CA but plates are from 1999/2000 (plates follow the car in CA unless vanity and previous owner wants to retain).

Have any member near Sac Town laid their eyes on this coupe? What is this worth? Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great intelligence guys

I had seen this one too and have asked seller to share some more info. He says that additional photos of the the usual suspect areas will be added to the listing.