1972 BMW 3.0CSA Project

Bosozoku

Reaction score
Bought this car on BAT. The seller was actually a Popular TV show that fixes up cars and has multiple seasons. i guess it was too much work for them.

1974_bmw_3-0cs_153918702342a7ce40810bfa-2-940x663.jpg

Bosozoku

Reaction score
finally got the car home to Torrance. i was told by the seller that i would be able to drive the car home from Huntington Beach. but, they flatbed the car to me for free because i found out on delivery that the car was not driveable.

CAR.jpg

Bosozoku

Reaction score
i ordered the front pans from Mike Pelly a couple weeks ago and still waiting on them. i removed the drivers rocker sheet metal welded in is not even painted and rusting

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 197

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh my..
This would be a good example of how well these cars hide their flaws.
Good news is you can get replacement metal work.
What is the firewall and fender boxes like?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You bought it in Oct and are just now getting it? Hope it wasn’t any worse than you were expecting, rust was peaking out everywhere on this one. Interested to know who the seller was. Who is going to do your rust repair?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You bought it in Oct and are just now getting it? Hope it wasn’t any worse than you were expecting, rust was peaking out everywhere on this one. Interested to know who the seller was. Who is going to do your rust repair?
I remember seeing this car in the background of a photo or a video at a shop and it seemed out of place. This must've been the shop that sold it I guess. A hotrod or custom shop with a coupe sitting outside caught our eye at the time...

Bosozoku

Reaction score
i will be doing as much of the repairs myself and it is much worse then i expected but what can you say...haha the inner fenders are not that bad from what i can tell and they did use premium body fillers (All-Metal) and from what i can gather the guy who did the bodywork was an artist but, the metal work was just horrible. there are some pinholes in the firewall right in back of the glove box.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good grief, you have quite a project
Not much left of the sills/rockers. Weld a frame in the car before taking the sills out or it will bend in half.

Those pinholes probably mean that there is something similar (see your rockers) going on in the difficult-to-fix area under the front fender(s). Quite likely the fenders will have to come off if you want to fix it for >10years..

Walloth and Nesch in Germany have most of the panels you need. I think you need ( at least) all 4 sill layers and their A and B post patches. You're looking at 2000 euro in panels here.
Likely all 4 floor panels as well, but look at manufactura sklep from poland as well, they have larger panels covering front and rear in one panel.
Check all 4 wheel housings and spare wheel well.

If you haven't got the skills to weld, you'll have them when you're finished...
If you have them already then it's time to show us!

Happy repairs!
Lots of info and knowledge here, so dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was this the car that Mike Brewer had bought for Wheeler Dealer? He told me about a year ago that he had bought an e9 but he realized it was gonna be way too much work for the show.

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks a lot like my rockers when I got my car :oops: sorry about that.

True you can purchase all those layers, but if you are handy and want to save some money, you CAN make them yourself. We fabricated our pieces to mate up to what was good. We saved a lot of templates that could give you a head start if you wanted to take that on. It gives you the bends and sizes you need. But if you don't have access to bending tools then buying the new sections is totally the way to go.

Anyway, just a thought because we are local to each other. Good luck with your project. It feels so good to meet someone else dealing with the conditions I had. This group is amazing and full of help and wisdom. (I am pretty new here myself, so I don't have such wisdom, I'm talking about the others :)

Last edited:

Bosozoku

Reaction score
Got the front driverside fender off over the weekend. The overall condition is not as bad as I thought under the fender wise. Just missing a bunch of parts. I'm surprised it held together so well without all that internal supporting structure
20190817_151846.jpg

Bosozoku

Reaction score
20190817_151923.jpg

I also got my front floor pans from Pelly and rears from wallo. The creases dont match up great. But the seat will be over that joint. It'll just look off from under.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got the front driverside fender off over the weekend. The overall condition is not as bad as I thought under the fender wise. Just missing a bunch of parts. I'm surprised it held together so well without all that internal supporting structure View attachment 71797

Wow. Just wow. Good thing you opened her up.