1972 BMW 3.0CS 3.5L 5-Speed Malaga

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man - what a flurry at the end. Still well bought from what I can see. So sorry Scott, that you didn't get it. Beautiful car - hope the new owner joins the forum.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Here’s a 10k question. Given everything else is equal.

What’s more desirable

Engine and gear box swap on a CS to 3.0 or 3.5, 5 speed.

Or an original 3.0 fuel injected with a 5 speed upgrade on a CSI.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here’s a 10k question. Given everything else is equal.

What’s more desirable

Engine and gear box swap on a CS to 3.0 or 3.5, 5 speed.

Or an original 3.0 fuel injected with a 5 speed upgrade on a CSI.

Original euro 3.0csi for sure. The subject car in this auction began as a 72 US spec slushbox. It is an interesting resto mod, but it's value as an historic artifact is virtually nil. There were 30,000 e9s built, and an automatic US car is near the bottom of the value of the pecking order, IMO. Only a big bumper auto is worth less.
However, the market these days loves backdated 911s (which can sell for well north of six figures even if they were born as a 912E or whatever) and restomod e9s are under the same umbrella.

If I had won the auction, this car would have been a driver and NOT an investment. You can't regard these resto mods as investments. And that's fine! They are supposed to be fun, and about driving.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seller did very well as an investment that he held for seven years.
I think it's safe to speculate he doubled his money. 2011 was a different time. And he just drove it. All the hard work and money was spent by the PO.
Not as good a return as amazon stock over the same period, but much more fun.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, I think your comment was appropriate. Hope you win the auction

I am happy with not winning. I never has a chance to see the car in person and run a borescope up under the front fenders, and the seller did not provide any views of that. If I lived closer to NY, I would have inpected the car for rust, and if I had found none at all, then I would have been prepared to go higher, but I still think I would have not won the bid.

The detailing of this car was not as good as the Seattle car nor as good as the blue Canadian car that went for 130k. The Canadian car had a body that had been rotisserie restored, so it deserved to go higher.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Original euro 3.0csi for sure. The subject car in this auction began as a 72 US spec slushbox. It is an interesting resto mod, but it's value as an historic artifact is virtually nil. There were 30,000 e9s built, and an automatic US car is near the bottom of the value of the pecking order, IMO. Only a big bumper auto is worth less.
However, the market these days loves backdated 911s (which can sell for well north of six figures even if they were born as a 912E or whatever) and restomod e9s are under the same umbrella.

If I had won the auction, this car would have been a driver and NOT an investment. You can't regard these resto mods as investments. And that's fine! They are supposed to be fun, and about driving.
Thanks for sharing. Better luck next time...Say maybe in May when a Polaris, red 5 speed csi pops up on bat. :)

“Shame shame shame” GOT

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am happy with not winning. I never has a chance to see the car in person and run a borescope up under the front fenders, and the seller did not provide any views of that. If I lived closer to NY, I would have inpected the car for rust, and if I had found none at all, then I would have been prepared to go higher, but I still think I would have not won the bid.

The detailing of this car was not as good as the Seattle car nor as good as the blue Canadian car that went for 130k. The Canadian car had a body that had been rotisserie restored, so it deserved to go higher.

But that Canadian coupe had flat floor bottoms and a lot of other issues. Even the Granatrot needed quite a bit of tidying.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
But that Canadian coupe had flat floor bottoms and a lot of other issues. Even the Granatrot needed quite a bit of tidying.
True that!
Now I remember about that Canadian car. The spare tire well was just a fabricated cylinder etc. But you can know at least it had no hidden rust. Every day that passes I feel better about the big checks I wrote to Mario to get my car right.

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but is the car a CSi or a CS? I see the trunk badge, I see the fuel injectors. Are you calling it a CS because that is how it was born?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you calling it a CS because that is how it was born?

Correct. Most owners will list it as the original model, and buyers expect that. You do see a lot of badge engineering after 3.5 swaps. Many people including members here change the badge to CSI, and some to 3.5 CSI. It is a personal touch that is relatively easy to reverse and easy to validate as a buyer.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but is the car a CSi or a CS? I see the trunk badge, I see the fuel injectors. Are you calling it a CS because that is how it was born?

CSA per the VIN.

This comment probably helped stoke the bidding more than most:

"
21 at 3:27 PM
EuroFixer 20
I worked on this car extensively back in 2005-07 like the seller mentions while at La Jolla before opening my own shop. Back then, I worked on a lot of these cars and can tell you that of hundreds I’ve seen, this is probably 2nd nicest. The nicest one I’ve ever seen or worked on was a car I did about 6 years ago. It had a 6 page spread a year after I completed it and that car sold for into the six figures as expected. Luckily I know the current owner on that one as well and I have first dibs should it be sold at any point.

Last I saw this car it was still extremely well sorted; basically the same as it was when it left me. The previous owner was very meticulous as the car shows. He was also very particular in who he sold the car to when the current owner purchased it and for good reason. To my knowledge the car has been kept as expected by the current owner. If anyone has any questions feel free to bounce them off of me and I can answer best to my recollection. GLWS and whomever the high bidder is, you’re making an incredible purchase."

Last edited: