1972 Bavaria Alternator

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Red generator light on. I had the alternator tested at a trusted auto electric biz, and it is no good. The tech said it would be more expensive to repair it than to buy a rebuilt one, but he did not have a source for it.

My car is an early 1972 Bavaria with the 3.0.

I checked eBay, but none of those specified for a Bavaria looks like mine. One for a 2002 is the closest.

Where do I find a rebuilt? Even a known good used one would be fine.

The back of mine looks like this...

IMG_3641.jpeg

Thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Original Alt is 55AH, 2002 is a different mount and was 45AH. You still have an external regulator based on the three prong terminal. You can change to a single wire Alt which is internally regulated if you want. Check AutohausAZ or eBay for rebuilt ones but they are pricey. Jim at Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa can ship one to you, he knows which ones fit.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Single wire, we can walk you through the change out.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can upgrade to 105 amp internally regulated if you wanted.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Mot27cars, but no need to upgrade. All stock. No booming stereo. ;)

Chris. Yes, I have an external regulator. The one you link to at AutohausAZ does have a 3 prong plug. I'll check with them to make sure it is still internally regulated. If so, can you let me know the wiring changes that are needed?

Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, Mot27cars, but no need to upgrade. All stock. No booming stereo. ;)

Chris. Yes, I have an external regulator. The one you link to at AutohausAZ does have a 3 prong plug. I'll check with them to make sure it is still internally regulated. If so, can you let me know the wiring changes that are needed?

Thanks!
Dick, I see now that it has the three prong plug, no wiring changes needed, it’s externally regulated, it’s plug and play as they say!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It looks like it has a terminal in addition to the big B+ terminal...

AL45X.png

I'll email them to see what that is for.

Dick

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is tougher than I thought it would be (maybe tougher than it should be?). I emailed AutohausAZ and asked why the back of the alternator they specify for my 1972 3.0 Bavaria looks different than the one on my car. I enclosed a picture of the back of mine for them to compare with theirs. Mike Gallo (Customer Service Manager) responded that the one they specify for a 1972 3.0 Bavaria (the one Chris linked to in post #3 above) will not work on a 1972 3.0 Bavaria (?). He did not say why it wouldn't work and said they do not have one that will work on a 1972 3.0 Bavaria.

I called Jim at Mesa. After some checking he said he could get one. $200 plus core plus shipping of both new and core from/to SoCal. He also said the one he can get is internally regulated and will need wiring changes (Jim could provide the instructions).

I'm going to check with at least one more rebuilder. If he can't do it, I'll try Mike's swap linked to in post #5.

Any other ideas?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was talking to Jim in the shop when you called! Get the one from Jim if it has the correct mounting bolt diameter.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought from these guys ten years ago and it is still going strong:

I remember calling them, mention the M8 vs M10 bolt issue. Brushes lasted five years and are easy to replace.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was talking to Jim in the shop when you called! Get the one from Jim if it has the correct mounting bolt diameter.

The one that Mike used as a replacement also has the 10mm bolt diameter. If I have to alter the wiring anyway, I might as well use an inexpensive, common alternative.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought from these guys ten years ago and it is still going strong:

I remember calling them, mention the M8 vs M10 bolt issue. Brushes lasted five years and are easy to replace.

Looks identical to the one AutohausAZ said would not work (even though they specify on their web site that it will work). For $250 plus $20 shipping, I'd rather do Mike's inexpensive replacement. I'll admit it...I'm cheap. :(

(BTW, the listing states that it only fits a 2800 Bavaria...not a 3.0 Bavaria. I know they are probably wrong)

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Happy Ending.

I went to another auto electric shop here in Bellingham, WA. (Whatcom Electric and Battery). I brought in my old one . They looked it up and said they had one in stock. They brought it out and it looked identical to the $250 one that Chris linked to in post #13.

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_3657.jpeg

I asked the tech who rebuilt them if it was externally regulated and it was. I asked about the extra D+ terminal and he said that was used instead of the three prong plug on other applications. The main bolt hole was 10mm. The tech said to just plug my OE plug in and attach the big wire to the B+ terminal. $109 and they switched the pulley for me. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great ending. I think the case of the Alt is used for both internal and external rebuilds, you couldn’t use this one as an internal without swapping out the three prong plug with a diode and brushes.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great ending. I think the case of the Alt is used for both internal and external rebuilds, you couldn’t use this one as an internal without swapping out the three prong plug with a diode and brushes.
Agree. It makes sense to use the case and other major parts for a variety of applications.