1971 BMW 2800 cs (Portland)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this looks like a car worth taking a good strong look at from the minimal pix. for a reasonable price it looks like you would get a car that looks pretty solid - is in need of shedding an automatic and putting a 5 speed in. okay, so its sahara ... but it looks to be in decent condition. somebody go take a look at it, its priced to sell.

EJ333

Reaction score
I didn't view all the photos but does the bubbling of the paint behind the front wheels give you much concern? What is the worstcase scenario dollarwise could that be ? Also, the engine compartment skins seemed to have been removed and repainted. Who knows what lurks under that. I'm just saying, how much could this restoration cost you ?Doesn't Portand have it's fair share of rain Worth a look for the price. Let us know what you find.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are several very nice E9s in Portland.
I will be there in September and could tak a look if it is still for sale.
Anyone serious about this car?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
EJ333,

sure visible rust gives rise to concern w/ any e9. rust is like cancer in a human - its always there ... the question to answer is it terminal? and what stage it is in. and that is why i recommend looking at it in person - or taking it to a doctor for examination. you are only going to understand so much by looking at pics. we can all tear a car down without ever looking at it. what good does that do? when we see a car that has a lot going for it, we should encourage somebody to go look at it and report back or buy it if its a good value. that's the only way you are going to find a diamond in the rough, for the cost of a plane ticket ... or paying somebody local to do a reasonable examination. otherwise, pull out a serious bankroll and go buy a coupe from one of the restorers.

so we saw a couple of bubbles on one side - its a usual location ... but pull the wheel and look and feel all over the inside of the fender and firewall. look at the floor underneath and the rocker panel ends. if you see a lot more tin worms - you can walk away. but if you don't, look at the back of the firewall (in the gloveboxes) and perhaps pull the rocker cover. or lift the car slightly on one of the jackpoints and listen for the creaking.

so what if you don't find much ... look for coverup ... then look at the other places in detail.

if this was a perfect car, it wouldn't be 12.5k. my point is that it looks like a reasonable car that is already miles ahead of many cars we have seen advertized for more money.

EJ333

Reaction score
EJ333,

sure visible rust gives rise to concern w/ any e9. rust is like cancer in a human - its always there ... the question to answer is it terminal? and what stage it is in. and that is why i recommend looking at it in person - or taking it to a doctor for examination. you are only going to understand so much by looking at pics. we can all tear a car down without ever looking at it. what good does that do? when we see a car that has a lot going for it, we should encourage somebody to go look at it and report back or buy it if its a good value. that's the only way you are going to find a diamond in the rough, for the cost of a plane ticket ... or paying somebody local to do a reasonable examination. otherwise, pull out a serious bankroll and go buy a coupe from one of the restorers.

so we saw a couple of bubbles on one side - its a usual location ... but pull the wheel and look and feel all over the inside of the fender and firewall. look at the floor underneath and the rocker panel ends. if you see a lot more tin worms - you can walk away. but if you don't, look at the back of the firewall (in the gloveboxes) and perhaps pull the rocker cover. or lift the car slightly on one of the jackpoints and listen for the creaking.

so what if you don't find much ... look for coverup ... then look at the other places in detail.

if this was a perfect car, it wouldn't be 12.5k. my point is that it looks like a reasonable car that is already miles ahead of many cars we have seen advertized for more money.

Rsporsche,
Good points. I agree. I even bought a scope to look inside "the box" behind the front wheels. Thankfully there wasn't much going on there in my coupe. However, I'll need to deal with floorpan rust. Yes, we need to do proper examination and encourage restorations to preserve as many as possinle.