1971 3.0CS Euro - Damaged during failed restoration - SOLD

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
if i were closer it would already be in my garage at that price ! it looks perhaps a bit "scary" but in any serious restoration you are once at that point ... and that surface rust is no big deal.

Here they ask x2 for E9's not better than this one....

GLWS ! and sorry for your story...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey new owner, hopefully you are an American or at least out of Province. I'd like to buy that Ontario plate for my 1971 CS. A bit like assuming a dead person's identity.

AbnMike

Reaction score
Man that sucks. That's almost the exact same situation I was in when I bought my first real car, a 1965 Mustang convertible, when I was still in the Army - guy took it to rebuild the motor, then absconded with it. I tracked it down and took it from a junkyard where he had hidden it under a tarp and he took me to court for saying I damaged his property in getting my car back. My own car.

Judge laughed him out of court, then when I sued him for all the damages (similar, stripped it down, sold parts, etc, etc) and I won and they awarded me triple what the car was worth, he booked it to Florida and declared bankruptcy.

Anyway....I hate people.

plexus

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a buyer for $5000US... should I take the offer? Of course I am the final arbiter of my own decisions, but I am just looking for input. I don't want to be greedy, I want the car to go a someone who will restore it because I feel it deserves that. This buyer qualifies in that regard. But how difficult do you think it would be if I held off to get more money - afterall, I have a considerable financial loss with the car so I'd like to find a balance between selling it and the price. I honestly had no idea what it was worth as I've not been following the market for a long time so your advice has been very helpful so far. thanks!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know that's low if the car were in a more convenient location for buyers. Not sure how much the circumstances factor into it but it seems like you could buy it for $5k and have it shipped anywhere in the U.S. and be good.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a buyer for $5000US... should I take the offer? Of course I am the final arbiter of my own decisions, but I am just looking for input.
My personal feeling is that $5k is a very good buy for the car and your bits. So much so that I am on the fence of having my wife divorce me as I ponder offering you a little bit more for it. :confused:

It is clearly a project, so the devil on my other shoulder is telling me that $5k is a fair price for it in its current state. But I still tend to think it is a great buy at that price. I better stop typing before I get myself in trouble... ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think it is low ... then again, i thought 7500 was too low. the petri steering wheel alone is worth 750 bucks (more if the condition is very good with no issues). i think it depends on how patient you are / how quickly you need to sell it. to be fair, its not easy to sell a project car.

My personal feeling is that $5k is a very good buy for the car and your bits. So much so that I am on the fence of having my wife divorce me as I ponder offering you a little bit more for it. :confused:

It is clearly a project, so the devil on my other shoulder is telling me that $5k is a fair price for it in its current state. But I still tend to think it is a great buy at that price. I better stop typing before I get myself in trouble... ;)
go for it Stephen ...

plexus

Reaction score
The Petri is in good condition - no nicks, cuts or cracks. no major wear or discolouration. Here is a close up. The red is just paint dust which wipes off easily. I was rushing to take these pictures because the snow was getting worse so I didn't have time to wipe everything down.

E5097255_v1.jpg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

If you bring it home and treat the rust and do nothing else but store it, you won't lose on it. There is no risk in my opinion.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If your car was still Red... As in the day before the body work started, it would easily be worth $15k. It would still need body work. I see the damages incurred as only about $1k. If you take a glass bead blaster to the rusty areas, they will look like fresh metal in just a couple of hours. I think the psychological ugliness of its current state is why the price is so low. If all the taken off parts are in good shape, and complete, this is still the same car as before the hack work commenced.
It really needs an exam by an expert to figure out how much body work it needs.
Might be as much as a 10k difference in work required if it had to come completely apart to restore it properly.
I guess all the paint has to come off anyway to do the quality work that lasts more than a few years

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If your car was still Red... As in the day before the body work started, it would easily be worth $15k. It would still need body work. I see the damages incurred as only about $1k. If you take a glass bead blaster to the rusty areas, they will look like fresh metal in just a couple of hours. I think the psychological ugliness of its current state is why the price is so low. If all the taken off parts are in good shape, and complete, this is still the same car as before the hack work commenced.
It really needs an exam by an expert to figure out how much body work it needs.
Might be as much as a 10k difference in work required if it had to come completely apart to restore it properly.
If guess all the paint has to come off anyway to do the quality work that lasts more than a few years

I agree. @plexus sees a disaster. I see filler-free body panels.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actually Dan, i could ... but you might not like the terms. i fund the purchase, you do the work and we own a car 50-50. i think that's a safe bet that you wouldn't accept that. just kidding on that. i agree with the sentiment expressed by several. time to fall in love with your coupe again Plexus. i'm like Markos ... i see a straight body without filler.