1969 2800 E3 - Slave cylinder rebuild?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone rebuilt their slave cylinder? I'd like to get a kit but it looks like they're only in Germany and Europe. Any ideas? $200 for a new one for $3 worth of parts...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have the cylindrical early slave cylinder? If so, yes I did mine when I had a 4 speed. Very simple as long as the inner bore is in good contition and not heavily scored from rust.

jmackro

Reaction score
$200 for a new one for $3 worth of parts...

Here in Orange County we have a supplier who can rebuild anything hydraulic (ABS Power Brake at 233 N Lemon St in Orange). If there's a shop like that in the Sacramento area, they can rebuild your old slave. Who knows where they get their kits - maybe they use Pontiac parts - but ABS always gets things to work.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's the seal it needs. The cylinder looks perfect.
IMG_20190623_185128052.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any ideas for finding a seal? P/N search or used on something else?

Edit: Looks like the 22.2mm bore is very popular with BMW slave cylinders. I bet a lot of them use the same style seal.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Scroll down, a few inexpensive kits available overseas, apparently they fit but perhaps confirm.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like E23, E34 and Z3 all use 22.2mm bore slave cylinders and if you look at the rebuild kits the seals look the same. They come on a piston and look similar and might work. I'll keep looking around for seals in case someone wants to go that route in the future.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dang -- that picture you posted has an ATE part number on it. I don't recall precisely how I did it, but during the period of time when BMW had the ATE brake booster check valve listed as a European part in their system and refused to sell one to me (even though they had 54 in inventory in the US), I cross referenced the check valve to other marques (MB, Saab and Jaguar all used that check valve).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dang -- that picture you posted has an ATE part number on it. I don't recall precisely how I did it, but during the period of time when BMW had the ATE brake booster check valve listed as a European part in their system and refused to sell one to me (even though they had 54 in inventory in the US), I cross referenced the check valve to other marques (MB, Saab and Jaguar all used that check valve).
Mike was kind enough to personally deliver a good seal and after cleaning up the bore I have it on the car and it's working fine, for now. I didn't have any luck finding an ATE part online, but I didn't try to source it through any particular supplier.

I haven't measured the cup seal but this one looks very close and would probably work. EDIT: Oops, this is the seal for the clutch master (19mm). I'm doing all the hydraulics on the E3 and got confused. ;)