Sun Visor clip unobtainium

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I was taking delivery of my car I reached for the sunvisor, and the dealer cringed... he said earlier that he could get replacements, but couldn't, and he said they were "unobtainium".

Mine were literally crumbling. I saw that Walloth & Nesch has sunvisor clips for 2002s, so I ordered them, thinking they would work. Very different!

Now, somebody with CAD software and access to a 3-D printer could just whip these up (great project for someone who fits that description).

I had to improvise...

IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3185.JPG IMG_3186.JPG IMG_3187.JPG IMG_3188.JPG IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3192.JPG IMG_3193.JPG IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3204.JPG

Relatively speaking, I think it turned out OK...
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice write-up with pics of the process. Given all of the plastic widgets that get peddled in the world, I am surprised that these clips are unavailable from someone/somewhere. It does seem like a part that wouldn't be difficult to make with the right equipment. But you solved it - looks very good! I doubt anyone outside of this forum (and likely many on the forum) would ever know that the clip is "wrong". ;)

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Trieu came through with a 3-D design for the plastic clip. I was able to get a plastic one test printed at a local FabLab, but the plastic material is very brittle, and not usable for the real thing.
Trieu tweaked the design several times to get the hole dimensions right (6mm for the visor rod, 8mm for the mount hole), and now it looks really good.
The FabLab doesn't have vinyl, and I'd need to buy a pricey membership, so I'm at a dead end.

Does anybody out there have a 3-D printer that can print vinyl material?

The printed version:

IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg

The original:
PHOTO-2019-05-02-14-27-47.jpg
PHOTO-2019-05-02-14-27-48.jpg
PHOTO-2019-05-02-14-27-48[1].jpg
PHOTO-2019-05-02-14-27-48[2].jpg
PHOTO-2019-05-02-14-27-49.jpg

The 3-D model:

upload_2019-5-14_21-35-7.png

Any takers? PM me for the 3-D file...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't see this thread earlier, but doesn't Carl at La Jolla have these clips for sale anymore? I bought a 2 clips from him in 2017 for $6.10/each

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trieu came through with a 3-D design for the plastic clip. I was able to get a plastic one test printed at a local FabLab, but the plastic material is very brittle, and not usable for the real thing.
Trieu tweaked the design several times to get the hole dimensions right (6mm for the visor rod, 8mm for the mount hole), and now it looks really good.
The FabLab doesn't have vinyl, and I'd need to buy a pricey membership, so I'm at a dead end.

Does anybody out there have a 3-D printer that can print vinyl material?

The printed version:

View attachment 64295 View attachment 64296 View attachment 64297 View attachment 64298

The original:
View attachment 64299 View attachment 64300 View attachment 64301 View attachment 64302 View attachment 64303

The 3-D model:

View attachment 64304

Any takers? PM me for the 3-D file...

Uh, hate to break it to you, but Gransin is right. I just called Carl and ordered two.
His website is bimmerdoc.com

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doh! :confused:

You're not alone.
Don't know how many of those moments I had while going through my project:rolleyes:
While we're discussing it, in my case I had to modify Carl's clips a tiny bit to make them work, the opening in the clip where the sunvisor rod is supposed to go was too small, so I had to remove some material with a utility knife.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Perhaps that is even more precious than the part?
Absolutely Eric! I've spent the last two years going over my '72 2002Tii, not "mastering", but learning a great deal about the Kugelfischer MFI system. (Success! Wailing like a banshee!)
I've been lucky to just drive the E9 weather permitting, as it's in fine fettle, and drives beautifully. Apart from twice pulling the driver door panel to return the E-clip to the window regulator arm (got that down to 30 minutes start to finish), I've just been doing mostly cosmetics and deep crevasse rust-proofing.
Just made a date to borrow my mechanic's lift to install Lokari inner fenders in the front.

If we wanted a car that was just "turn the key and go", we wouldn't drive 45-year-old cars!:D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip that Carl has these clips. I jumped on the opportunity and just ordered a pair for The Raven. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip that Carl has these clips. I jumped on the opportunity and just ordered a pair for The Raven. :)
If I install Carl's new clips can I safely remove my visor from the clip without snapping the plastic end, this rendering the entire visor useless? Visors with original clips should come with a warning NOT to snap loose and pivot for shade. Or am I wrong?

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I install Carl's new clips can I safely remove my visor from the clip without snapping the plastic end, this rendering the entire visor useless? Visors with original clips should come with a warning NOT to snap loose and pivot for shade. Or am I wrong?

I had the same issue after having my visors redone. The shaft was too thick to get into the clip (no pun intended). Was told to pull the visor clips out, 1 screw holding them in, then get a sharp razor blade and shave off evenly inside both sides evenly. After that they go back in perfectly. I just did mine today and they are snug and easily to put in and take out....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I need some of these too, glad I saw this thread. I also have a pair of brass pivot brackets that I never put on because I didn't have the clips on the other end. Just in time for summer!

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was at Coupeking a few weeks ago and they had a guy hand-finishing a big batch of the hinges (if I recall correctly) that had been 3-D printed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was at Coupeking a few weeks ago and they had a guy hand-finishing a big batch of the hinges (if I recall correctly) that had been 3-D printed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed. I see that they are running at $325 a pair. This is in a different league than the $6.10 per piece clip price at Carl's. But I suspect they are more robust than the originals and would allow one to effectively use the visors in any position. This is a must for my wife, who has sensitive eyes. :cool: