Identifying My E9 Engine

Matt Dusig

Reaction score
Question for the Community.

My engine was replaced by the original owner in the 80s and I'm trying to identify what engine is actually in the car. When he replaced the engine he also installed Triple Weber Carbs, Alpina Valve Train, Alpina Air Box and Hardy & Beck Suspension.

Here's some photos of my engine. I was wondering if you might know?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KCTDbrjoKWRv5MqSdak4HzYFNMqwCc2Q

Thanks Matt

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like a motor originally meant for a Six or Seven series in that time period. A 633 or 733. If it was sourced as a new replacement, it shouldn't have a serial number and be "unstamped". The serial number location is on a flat area on top of the block behind the head.
Look right against the firewall above the starter motor to zero in on the above mentioned area.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

It would be helpful to pull the serial number from the flat boss on top of the block at the starter mount. A cell phone camera is helpful.

Here is what I see so far. An M30B32, so approximately 3.3L of displacement. Knowing the VIN will help with HP and compression figures. Your 277 358 head is a late model head that isn’t prone to cracking, and lasted up to the M30B35. You have Italian carbs (good) with a Koran one-piece intake manifold and linkage. You have Stahl headers - street diameter. Electric fan conversion, electric fuel pump, and pointless ignition.

No evidence of anything Alpina related. Perhaps look into those rubber manifold gaskets/isolators on your triples, they look like they are leaking.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see a 1982 head that at one time was fitted with a mechanical fuel pump, a 1972 thermostat housing, an aluminum radiator with an electric puller fan, a Korman intake, a set of headers, a later AC compressor, on a 3.0 or 3.3 block from the late 70’s or early 80’s with an early valve cover.
You could send me the 7 digits stamped into the flat spot above the starter if they are there. Or you could run a compression test and tell me the last two numbers in the long embossed oval on the exhaust side of the block. You want pics of where to look?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Definitely replace the misab anti-vibration intake gaskets in favor of plain base gaskets from Pierce Manifolds, they are not needed and will only leak at some point. Looks like the jet covers are leaking, the tops have a gasket ring that prevents this (also from Pierce). I love the brass valve cover caps, I need some of those!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
D92603B1-2857-4BF4-943D-FE245D6118B5.jpeg
56B57CEE-0980-4C66-8DD2-52403711DE87.jpeg
Where to look....
Exhaust side oblong for block date casting
Above starter for vin #