Over-window (Rain Gutter) Trim- Installation questions-

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey folks -
Had the car out for a spin the other day and heard an odd sound. I didn't think much of it at the time (I thought I might have run over a small piece of wood or something.....not a big deal - or so I thought).

A couple of days later I was walking next to the car and noticed the over-window (gutter) trim missing.

:(

I remembered that funny sound I heard the last time I had the coupe out.
Ran out (in another car) to that spot in the road (maybe 3 blocks from my house so not that far) and found the trim piece on the side of the road. All in all - not in too bad a shape but... Not what I'd want to put back on the car.

BMW Mobile Tradition to the rescue. :)

Figured I'd get both sides as they are available and priced not too bad (heck - I was just tickled that they are available at any price to tell you the truth!)
See Item #5 below
[Broken External Image]:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/g/31.png

Ok - now that I have them in hand...
Any tips or tricks to installing them? I have not messed with that yet - That is what weekends are for.
I just thought I'd see if anyone here has any thoughts on the best way to install them (and in a way that lends them to staying put... :) )

Thanks for you help (in advance) - - - -

corsachili

Reaction score
When you figure it out let us all know! Seriously, it's a hard part to install. It sort of "snaps" over the body, and my guess is that the factory had some sort of crimping tool that probably could be approximated with a set of soft jaw pliers. I've only replaced used parts, never new ones. Mine are kinda fubar'd too, I thought they were NLA. Maybe I'll order up a new set and you can tell me how to install them once you've figured it out!

Good luck.

-tj in Los Gatos

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any thoughts from anyone who's possibly painted or had these off for some reason? Thanks TJ for your comments... I figure they snap on or such... Just don't know more till I get into it.

Speaking of such...

I'll probably get into this in a couple of weeks (We just received more snow here near Seattle, so the coupe is NOT going out anytime in the next few days....)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just took both sides off of my parts car yesterday. They're basically the same as the 2002's, which if I remember correctly you start at the front and hook the top of the trim on first, then the bottom just kinda snaps in place. Its a slow, patient process but the trim is fairly soft and pliable. You might practice with one of the old pieces to get the feel for it, then hope the new pieces go on with the same feel.

A bunch of photos and a documented process would be just what the site needs!! :wink:

Dan

shanon

Reaction score
As Dang said, they just kinda snap back into place.
I put mine back on after my paint job, started at the front and worked it from on end to the other. Some spots required definite 'persuasion'.
The chrome window trim/seals may interfere with the process, not sure if the the lip trim covers or 'is' covered by the window trim. Bits were off so long I didn't recall the stack order, but it worked out.

HTH
-shanon

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks....

I'll get to it in a bit (I hope by the next couple of weeks).
Yes- I'll get the camera out and try to document it. Not sure how that will go but - We'll see.

Hadn't though about doing a 'test run' using the old trim....
Sounds like a good idea.

Stay tuned.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A bit of an update....

I can tell installing this trim is going to be a PITA....

I messed around with this for ~20 minutes yesterday. I can see why it popped off in the first place.

The trim seems to resist snapping over the 'lower/interior' portion of the trim (not the lip on the body itself)

I had it all installed but it was not stable - it was spring loaded to just pop off - given the right force.

I have a couple of contacts who restore and do body work on old cars - Might have some ideas from them....

Stay tuned.

pmansson

Reaction score
I had exactly that happen on one of my cars. I think the body shop finally succumbed to adding some very strong glue on that "self-sprung" section. Has been stable since.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
An update....

I finally gave up on doing this trim installation myself and had a local body shop do it for me.

I lucked out in finding a shop that the following cars in for work (when I visited last week)
4 -356's
1- Karmann Ghia
1 - 3.0CSi :) :)
2- 2002's

So I figured they were good at 'old car' stuff.
They were.

While they had the car - I had them also roll the front fenders as I found the tires (205/55) had a slight rub...

:) :)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What I would like to know is if the molding is supposed to go under the flat aluminum trim piece that runs along the body metal but under the lip for the drip rails.
Hard to explain.
I've tried and the aluminum molding sure does want to go between those two pieces.
Nobody has actually given a definitive answer?

Does anyone know?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my car. Has for sure been restored before.
It is shot at the b-pillar, looking up.

On the left the rain gutter is tucked under the flat part coming from the interior side. On the right rain gutter falls over the flat part; that condition matches the info in the previous posts, but it also makes more sense. In this way (right side in pic) it guides rainwater to the outside (like house roofing), vs letting it in behind the trim.

Erik.

Attachments

• 15576517193401708822699420718982.jpg
    15576517193401708822699420718982.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 199

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my car. Has for sure been restored before.
It is shot at the b-pillar, looking up.

On the left the rain gutter is tucked under the flat part coming from the interior side. On the right rain gutter falls over the flat part; that condition matches the info in the previous posts, but it also makes more sense. In this way (right side in pic) it guides rainwater to the outside (like house roofing), vs letting it in behind the trim.

Erik.

I got mine on yesterday. A few places were a little hard but mostly ok. I agree that the drip moldings go over the aluminum trim piece that is below the metal of the body. It makes sense like you said to keep the water out.
Thanks,
Gary

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem comes down to 2 variables 1) If your car was repainted, the actual drip rail paint/clearcoat may be too thick and by that I mean even like .05mm more than it should and 2) The flat alum trim pieces Gary speaks of, have to be perfectly contoured and totally flush to the underside of the drip rail.

Getting the top portion to clip on to the drip rail is no big deal, it is getting it over the flat alum trim and keeping it there, that is the major issue. Luckily I started from scratch and noticed this so I made sure those flat alum pieces were flush and perfectly contoured. Sure you can take them off and improve the fit and this is no big deal along the top of the back window since the window guide is held by some 3 or 4mm screws under the felt gasket. Below this are another set of 3 or 4 mm screws that hold the flat alum that runs under the drip rail. The front is the PIA as part of the door gasket has to come off to expose the screws holding the flat trim. For me, putting this gasket back was difficult and tore my delicate paws up a bit.

I got the Koogle thing and did not find it helpful.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The problem comes down to 2 variables 1) If your car was repainted, the actual drip rail paint/clearcoat may be too thick and by that I mean even like .05mm more than it should and 2) The flat alum trim pieces Gary speaks of, have to be perfectly contoured and totally flush to the underside of the drip rail.

Getting the top portion to clip on to the drip rail is no big deal, it is getting it over the flat alum trim and keeping it there, that is the major issue. Luckily I started from scratch and noticed this so I made sure those flat alum pieces were flush and perfectly contoured. Sure you can take them off and improve the fit and this is no big deal along the top of the back window since the window guide is held by some 3 or 4mm screws under the felt gasket. Below this are another set of 3 or 4 mm screws that hold the flat alum that runs under the drip rail. The front is the PIA as part of the door gasket has to come off to expose the screws holding the flat trim. For me, putting this gasket back was difficult and tore my delicate paws up a bit.

I got the Koogle thing and did not find it helpful.
Thank you for that great description