Brake booster gasket question

VILLEocity

Reaction score
When removing the brake booster, the plate on the one end had a gasket that appeared to be a fine foam material that disintegrated to dust when disassembled. Can anyone shed light on the material used? I see no reference to it in any catalogs or manuals. Is it open cell, closed cell? Is it intended as an airtight seal or is it filtering air? Sources or substitute suggestions?
Thanks for any help!

IMG_0282.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that should be an airtight seal. I would reassemble with Loctite gasket maker on that plate.

VILLEocity

Reaction score
Thanks you, Ohmess! I'll give it a try tomorrow. The mating surfaces aren't flat so it seemed like it could have made to permit air in thru the foam.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure vacuum is on the other side of the case and there is no pressure there, just a rubber boot for the rod.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When removing the brake booster, the plate on the one end had a gasket that appeared to be a fine foam material that disintegrated to dust when disassembled. Can anyone shed light on the material used? I see no reference to it in any catalogs or manuals. Is it open cell, closed cell? Is it intended as an airtight seal or is it filtering air? Sources or substitute suggestions?
Thanks for any help!

View attachment 63960

why did you removed what can be seen in the photo ?
there is no need to do that way
the booster is a two piece or two halves, just pressure and a small turn there is a rubber seal (better say a membrane) in between, once you separate the two halves you open "the nut" and you can work on the components
air tight is at the side where the brake master cyl is, the other side only lets air in or out so no air tight please, the foam is to avoid dirt into that side of the booster, easy and simple anything will be able to do the work, any circular shaped foam, open cell is preferred but do not kill yourself, slow air velocity there,

there is a two times movement, a movement inside the movement, the outer element is a 40mm diameter plastic rod that is selaed by a cilindric seal, the inner element is a metal rod that it is not sealed from outside but internally with a double effect valve

Last edited:

VILLEocity

Reaction score
why did you removed what can be seen in the photo ?
there is no need to do that way
the booster is a two piece or two halves, just pressure and a small turn there is a rubber seal (better say a membrane) in between, once you separate the two halves you open "the nut" and you can work on the components
air tight is at the side where the brake master cyl is, the other side only lets air in or out so no air tight please, the foam is to avoid dirt into that side of the booster, easy and simple anything will be able to do the work, any circular shaped foam, open cell is preferred but do not kill yourself, slow air velocity there,

there is a two times movement, a movement inside the movement, the outer element is a 40mm diameter plastic rod that is selaed by a cilindric seal, the inner element is a metal rod that it is not sealed from outside but internally with a double effect valve

Thank you very much for your very helpful response, deQuincey. Sorry for the late reply but I just now was able to get back to the forum. I hadn't intended to pull it apart there, but that plate is sandwiched between the booster and the mounting bracket so when the nuts were removed it came apart.

I’m pretty sure vacuum is on the other side of the case and there is no pressure there, just a rubber boot for the rod.

Thank you too, Chris! Your response made me hesitate to seal it which was the right call.